BajaNomad

Backpacking without a car?

Sparky - 11-15-2005 at 06:45 PM

I'm going to be bussing & backpacking around Baja for a few weeks, from Nov. 22 - Dec. 13

I'd like to bus from Mulege to Bahia Concepcion and then camp for a few days, then hop a bus back to La Paz.

It looks from the map as though I should be able to have a bus driver drop me off on Hwy 1 and walk a short way to teh beaches on the west side of the Bahia -- am I right?

What would be a good camping spot on the west side of Bahia Concepcion for a woman backpacking alone? I'd like to camp close enough to others for safety, and close to someplace I can buy groceries, meals, beer, etc. A palapa would also be great, but it sounds like I may have trouble finding a vacancy.....

Also, the camping books I've seen are oriented toward carcamping -- best resource for backpackers travelling by bus?

Barry A. - 11-17-2005 at 09:47 AM

The only part of your question that I can answer is: yes, the highway does run close by the beaches along Bahia Conception----easily within walking distance. Now, as to whether you can talk the bus driver into stopping??---probably, but cannot confirm that.

I think it would be hard for you to "catch" a bus along this stretch-----don't believe they would stop, but I really do not know. You could certainly hitch-hike into Mulege and catch one.

There are not a lot of "stores" along this stretch, as I recall. Check with any of the guide books, tho, and they should be able to tell you.

The way you propose to travel (back packing) is not that common in Baja, as far as I know------huge distances between towns, and places of interest. The area is arid, and can be dangerous as water is scarce. Are you sure this is the way you want to travel? I would suggest hooking up with a friend, and renting a car in La Paz----then you could go where-ever you want----free as the wind, so to speak.

Best of luck on your adventures, and please be careful.

Wow, it sounds like a great little adventure...

vgabndo - 11-17-2005 at 01:02 PM

There is so much traffic between the active beaches and Mulege every day, it seems it would be really easy to hitch back and forth with some safe senior citizen couple. You could certainly ask the bus company if there was a regular pick-up point along the bahia for your trip to La Paz. I seem to recall that my ABC bus made a meal stop South of the Pemex in Mulege. It is likely you will get info from others here who know a lot more. Enjoy!

comitan - 11-17-2005 at 01:12 PM

After many trips by bus, my experience is that if you are at a town, crossroad just wave them down. And just before you want to get off go up front and motion where you want to get off. I thing Coyote has a store, Burro has a small store. at Santispac you'll be able to go into town with someone.

Bruce R Leech - 11-17-2005 at 08:47 PM

you wont have any trouble getting a ride with some one. there are lots of people going to and from the beaches and Mulege

Packoderm - 11-17-2005 at 10:10 PM

I often wonder how much money I'd save if I traveled Baja with my 5 year old via bus than by auto. I've seen the schedules, and it seems expensive to go to and from La Paz for over $100.00 per person each way. Bus travel seems more adventurous but maybe a hassle. My wife and I traveled though the Yucatan/Belize/Tikal carrying only backpacks, and it worked out great. We've also brought backpacks to Puerto Vallarta and kicked it in Yelapa for about 2 weeks. Not much can beat that. If airfare didn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd go to Yelapa this winter break. I can't think of any better backpack destination than Yelapa because you can't get a car within about 20 miles of the village; the only way in is by boat. I think that the last hurricane in Cancun messed up airfare into anywhere in Mexico.

turtleandtoad - 11-18-2005 at 09:40 AM

I've run across a lot of backpackers (sans vehicle) in the campgrounds up and down Baja (including Playa El Requeson) but have seen few hitchhiking. I never thought to ask how they were getting around but this leads me to believe that;

1) They are taking the bus, or
2) They get rides quickly.

As to the bus stopping for you, I've also been behind some buses that seem to stop on the whims of the passengers, including one that stopped at the turn-off to El Requeson to drop off a family of 6 that spent 2 days there (right next to me). Again, I never thought to ask how they were getting back, I just assumed that the bus would stop for them.

wilderone - 11-18-2005 at 11:16 AM

You should consider various alternatives to particular destinations, and the factors associated with each. For instance, Conception Bay is 16 miles from Mulege. You could take a taxi or hang out in a restaurant or bar and ask gringos if they could give you a ride, or ask the ABC bus driver if he'll drop you off, or see if there is local bus service running that stretch. You're more apt to get a ride on the local bus by waving it down than the ABC driver. Also, personally, I think it's a little dangerous to stop on that stretch and let somebody off - it's a downhill grade with no shoulder and a few turns. Stay at Santispac because there are more facilities there (groceries/water) than Coyote. You could probably hitchhike back to Mulege for a bus ride to Loreto. I've paid for a boat ride to Coronado Island and camped there for 3 nights, and arranged for a pick-up ride back (a hard-negotiated $75 - probably a little more now). You might even see if a panguero could take you to the beach south of Punta Chivato from Mulege and pick you up a couple days later. Good snorkling, and interesting terrain in that area. La Paz is a pretty large town, and the beaches where camping would be pleasant and allowed are a significant distance from the town itself, and too far to walk. I think it's doable, but bring plenty of cash for alternatives - taxis, hotel rooms, shared gas if you meet someone willing to give you a ride, etc.

Packoderm: Word has it that airfare to Yucatan will drop soon in order to lure people back.

squffy - 2-17-2006 at 08:06 PM

How did your backpacking experience go ? We are headed to Mulege and the beaches in March. Can you post your experience on this site ?

Thanks,

Squffy

Bruce R Leech - 2-17-2006 at 08:14 PM

Username Sparky (Send U2U) (Add to Address Book)

Last active: 11-15-2005 at 07:46 PM

she never posted again or answered any of the replies.

Me thinks she is gone and never made the trip.

woody with a view - 2-17-2006 at 08:42 PM

Me thinks she is gone and/OR never made the trip.

:?::?::?::?::?::?: