BajaNomad

Importing vehicle

JZ - 11-16-2005 at 08:20 PM

I'd like to import a vehicle into MX for use on the mainland in Sonora.

But I'd like to do the paper work stuff in TJ. Can anyone give me info on the process.

I want to transfer it into a Mexican national.

comitan - 11-16-2005 at 08:55 PM

If you imported it into the Baja it would not be a nationalized vehicle, you will have to go to a mainland Entry point if its going to be legal on the Mainland.

burro bob - 11-17-2005 at 08:40 AM

Comitan
I have not imported a vehicle yet but have been checking into turning my truck into a mexican vehicle. I was told that I could import it with plates good only for Baja (frontier zone) or I could pay more and get it legal for all of Mexico. I was told I could get either type of import done in Mexicali. This info came from a friend who does this for a living.
I'll ask my friend for the correct process after the race. My recomendation would be to go to an importer who does this for a living and let them deal with all the paperwork. They have all the right conections to make things easy.
burro bob

JZ - 11-17-2005 at 10:48 AM

Thanks Bob. That's what I suspected. I understand there are different levels for Baja and the mainland, but I was going to be surprised if you couldn't get it all done in Baja.

Please pose more info when you have it.

comitan - 11-17-2005 at 12:34 PM

If the above true, remember that it cheaper to import the vehicle in Mexicali because of how they value the vehicle, it was this way a year ago.

There is someone in Mexicali Mario 01 658 516 4512 for importing.