BajaNomad

FM3 and 5 YEAR RESIDENCY

rob - 11-17-2005 at 08:45 AM

Just reached the 5 year mark, and so need a new FM3 book.

As the old FM3 book is important proof of residency (i.e. for citizenship purposes), be aware that Migracion does NOT return the old book to you - so COPY the old!

I innocently turned in my old FM3 for a new application and only by great good fortune managed to get copies made of the old, because there was no way I could get it back!

osoflojo - 11-17-2005 at 12:08 PM

Hey Rob,
I am on my third book but even my latest one refers to the original folio number of my first one. It also shows that my first entry with my first FM-3 was at Tecate in 93. If at some point it becomes important that you need to show how long you have been legal those records should still be there.

FM3 Renewals

MrBillM - 11-17-2005 at 12:24 PM

Copying the old one is probably a good idea. I copied my original, but When you turn in your FM3 they do give you a "temporary" FM3 that states you are in the renewal process so I quit making copies.

Speaking of copies, a friend of mine made color copies of his and his wife's FM2s and carries them in a clear plastic cover. He presents the copy whenever Customs, Immigration or the Army wants to look at it. He does have the originals packed away in the event they want to see those.

losfrailes - 11-17-2005 at 12:50 PM

If you intend to continue 'visiting' Mexico, why don't you just go ahead and get the FM2. After 5 years of that you no longer need to renew it.

Disregard this if you do not intend to at least make Mexico your home for a good share of your time.

lizard lips - 11-17-2005 at 06:22 PM

It make sense that someone who lives here full time obtains the FM2. It eliminates having to go through the process every year after your 5th renewal. If you like giving your money away send it to me......

comitan - 11-17-2005 at 08:04 PM

Something to add to this, I have two friends that have gotten citizen status here in La Paz by going into a certain dept. Paying $2000. pesos and having to wait approx. 6 Mo's or more. They did not have to pass any test, or it didn't make any difference at what point in FM-2 or FM-3 you are in.

Bruce R Leech - 11-17-2005 at 08:37 PM

comitan is right. also you need to renew an fm2 every year also. so there is really no reason to get one.

comitan - 11-17-2005 at 09:06 PM

But- but I'm in my 4th year of my FM-2 Then I find out, now what to do.

bajalou - 11-17-2005 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
But- but I'm in my 4th year of my FM-2 Then I find out, now what to do.

Me too -

:?:

Dave - 11-17-2005 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
I have two friends that have gotten citizen status here in La Paz by going into a certain dept. Paying $2000. pesos and having to wait approx. 6 Mo's or more. They did not have to pass any test, or it didn't make any difference at what point in FM-2 or FM-3 you are in.

If you pay enough, you can be a Senator, General or even President. Hell, you can even own your own President. ;D

Mexico...What a country! :lol:

Comitan

Keri - 11-18-2005 at 06:43 AM

Can you find out what this is called so I can ask up here. Seems alot of us our in the later years of our fm2s. Thanks,k

bajajudy - 11-18-2005 at 07:20 AM

Yesterday my husband and I were standing in line at the bank when I said to him(partly because of this thread), "I think that we should get an FM2 this year because after 5 years you dont have to renew it anymore"
The guy behind me said, "That is correct" At that moment I noticed his badges and ID's around his neck on the Migracion lanyard. He is head of Migracion at the airport here so my guess is he knows what he is talking about. He said after the five years you can continue in your FM2 status with no renewals or apply for Mexican citizenship.

vandenberg - 11-18-2005 at 07:44 AM

5 years of FM2 and you can apply for immigrado status. From then on you don't have to anything anymore, nor pay any fees. However, my wife, in La Paz , applied for citizen status, and had to pass a test ( Spanish ) which she didn't pass. So, they have her $ 110.00 dollars and all her paperwork ( and there is lots of it ) and she has diddly. But we are imigrados.:wow::wow:

FM-2

BajaRob - 11-18-2005 at 07:51 AM

We too are in year 4 w/ FM-2s. We are looking forward to imigrado status and the end of annual fees and the Bancomer account. FM-3s go on forever.

bajalou - 11-18-2005 at 09:03 AM

I believe you're right on those 2 points Larry. I'n told 15 months total out of country in the entire 5 years of FM2. I was told there is a provision you can apply to keep your EXISTING US registered vehicle for 3-4 years but any different (new) has to be Mex registered.

:biggrin:

vandenberg - 11-25-2005 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Something to add to this, I have two friends that have gotten citizen status here in La Paz by going into a certain dept. Paying $2000. pesos and having to wait approx. 6 Mo's or more. They did not have to pass any test, or it didn't make any difference at what point in FM-2 or FM-3 you are in.

Comitan,
Any way you can give me the name and place of the person that made getting the Mexican citizen status without a test ??
Maybe you could U2U me?
Would appreciate a reply.