BajaNomad

Gonzaga Bay to Mision Santa Maria (and SP Martir hike for April)

David K - 10-22-2003 at 07:24 AM

Gonzaga Bay to Mision Santa Maria, via the El Camino Real...

Is there any interest in hiking this section of the El Camino Real... over Thanksgiving weekend, perhaps?

I got an email that sparked this idea. I walked about a mile of the ECR going up from Arroyo Santa Maria, last Thanksgiving... see the photos at http://davidksbaja.com/1102/page6.html

[Edited on 10-22-2003 by David K]

[Edited on 12-21-2003 by David K]

Hiking

Jack Swords - 10-22-2003 at 08:27 AM

Sounds like a great trip. I'd do it is a second if not tied up with family for Thanksgiving. If you reschedule, let me know!

How about the backpack into Mission San Pedro Martir in the Spring?

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by Jack Swords]

David K - 10-22-2003 at 11:10 PM

Anytime is fine Jack... maybe during Christmas vacation, before going to L.A. Bay for the customery New Year's Party?

I may need some help or advice to go to Mision San Pedro Martir... I have never backpacked... only car camping, so don't have equipment... we have time to talk about it more...

Another desire I have to hike to, and that's Visita de San Pablo (mis identified by some as Mision Dolores del Norte). Kevin in Oklahoma says it's a great experience... his photos of the visita (looks a lot like Mision Santa Maria) are in our Missions web site http://davidksbaja.com/bajamissions

San Pedro Martir

Jack Swords - 10-23-2003 at 07:15 AM

Could be a grand adventure, not a bad hike according to the topo. I've got extra pack, etc. so not a problem. Keep it in mind for the Spring, see if LDB can get involved, perhaps others.

Baja Hiking

thebajarunner - 10-23-2003 at 04:32 PM

Keep the hiking thought alive, I would be up for a 2 to 5 day Baja hike. Just need enough advance warning to clear my schedule and get there.
I may be an old geezer (which if you read my posts about racing in early 70's you have already figured out) but in the past 5 years I have climbed Mt. Whitney, White Mountain and 4 times up Half Dome.
My main concern in hiking in the Sierras is having a reliable source for water, that stuff gets real heavy when you have to pack it, and Graham Mac certainly found that to be his main limitation.
Keep us posted.

Baja Vida!!

Thanks for joining in!

Jack Swords - 10-23-2003 at 06:30 PM

Bajarunner: glad you chimed in. I too have seen many years but still backpack each year in the Sierras (climbed Mt. Goddard at 13,500 ft this year and a 71 mile backpack). I try to hike weekly. The SPMartir one should be good this year due to water availability (main consideration). I will call Duane at Meling ranch as Spring approaches to get latest info. e-mail me at yonke123@yahoo.com so I can contact you. We may have a good group going. Jack Swords

Hiking

thebajarunner - 10-23-2003 at 10:15 PM

Jack, sent you an e-mail off this site.
Let's keep working on "the hike" for next Spring and keep anyone else interested in the loop.
Come on hikers, let's see your stuff.
Bet us geezers can run the wheels off you all.
My kids call me the "trail tractor." One speed, mostly low gear, never slow up and never stop.

Baja Vida!!

Don Jorge - 10-31-2003 at 01:45 PM

Hi,

Put me in the loop for Santa Maria although Thanksgiving is out for me. But anyone interested in Santa Maria in the next few weeks let me know. I have some backpacking and climbing experience and own a satelite phone. How about a Santa Inez to Gonzaga shuttle trip? Rappel the canyon? I think there is lots of water right now. I would consder it an honor to hike with you experienced, mature men and I promise to follow your pace!
Regardless, keep me in the loop on backpacking Baja trips.

Hike to Mision San Pedro Martir

thebajarunner - 10-31-2003 at 07:00 PM

DJ,
It is not my hike to invite you to. (In our Sierra Nevada hiking culture we give "ownership" of a hike to the one who originates the plan, that would be Jack.) Jack Swords and I (along with David K and maybe a mystery guest) have been talking off-site about doing this in early April. The spirit of the hike has been sort of "open to others" but that is probably going to be Jack's call, since this sort of all started with him.
Graham Mac sez that he covers his failed attempt to reach SPM in the "Burro" book, which I intend to research tonight.
It is a fair time off and we are still noodling the idea.
Keep in touch.

Baja Vida!!

David K - 10-31-2003 at 07:24 PM

There are two 'hikes' in discussion. The Gonzaga to Santa Maria day or two day hike is maybe Thanksgiving or Christmas vacation? From the Arroyo Santa Maria road head (west of Punta Final, near Las Palmitas) to the mission is an estimated 8 miles of uneven terrain. The route was traveled by Baja Bucko by mule and Slider by motorcycle (with GREAT difficulty).

Graham has hiked both the post Serra El Camino Real and the canyon (Indian Trail, original ECR) bottom from the mission (Santa Ynez actually) to Gonzaga.

Aerial photo of the Indian trail dropping to the canyon bottom are at http://davidksbaja.com/missionsm/page6.html

Ground photo of petroglyphs on the Indian trail are at http://davidksbaja.com/403/page8.html

Ground photos of the El Camino Real leaving Arroyo Santa Maria heading up towards the mission are at http://davidksbaja.com/1102/page6.html

The April hike is a backpacking trip to reach the ruins of Mision San Pedro Martir at 5,500' ASL (above sea level). About a 15 mile hike from the road head near Rancho Viejo, south of the Observatory road at Vallecitos.

[Edited on 11-1-2003 by David K]

San Pedro Martir hike

thebajarunner - 10-31-2003 at 09:41 PM

DK, thanks for the clarification... I think I was even a bit confused on the two hikes proposed.
Anyone interested in SPR might re-read Grahams "Baja Burro" pgs.119-122. Not the most encouraging scenario.
Oh well, maybe we can do it without a hurricane, with a working GPS and with the full intent of capturing fotos for your website.

Baja Vida!!

David K - 11-1-2003 at 08:54 AM

In his Baja Burro book, Graham tried to hike up to the mission, going east from San Isodoro... he never made it as that trail is gone. Before the Observatory road was completed (about 1970), cattle drives between the Sierra's high meadows and the lower ranches used this trail.

The Jack Swords trip will be to go south from Vallecitos (Observatory road) towards Rancho Viejo and on to the valley containing Baja's most remote mission.

Photos of the road to Rancho Viejo (from Baja Ken, who drove to that ranch), are on my site under 'Contributed Photos' at the bottom of my home page.

Don Jorge

Jack Swords - 11-7-2003 at 09:41 AM

Don Jorge: check your U2U.

Mision Santa Maria

ArvadaGeorge - 11-7-2003 at 10:01 AM

I have a big group in Pete?s camp after Christmas: But before 12-20 to 12-25-03 I?m looking for some adventures with the wives -3 couples.
I don?t know if we are up for a 16-mile day hike up and back.
But may be part of the way?? If the timing is right.

Santa Maria day hike

thebajarunner - 11-7-2003 at 06:55 PM

Is there a declared date for the "Thanksgiving or Christmas" Santa Maria day hike?
If so please post it and other info. It might be possible to make it if the dates are right.

Baja Arriba!!

David K - 11-7-2003 at 07:59 PM

I originally suggested Thanksgiving vacation for the Gonzaga to Santa Maria hike, but that didn't work out for others, it seemed.

I am considering going south for the 1000 then to Gonzaga for the hike, even if not all the way to Santa Maria... I was told some mission era road building is seen up a ways, and that would be cool. The mile + I hiked on it last November, looked just like a cattle trail (much of the Camino Real in Baja does, today). So, seeing some rock work would be cool.
I may go and hike a few miles on it, if not all the way.

December seemed better for others to do this, but my plans may see me on Scammon's Lagoon, then Camp Gecko with friends Georock, Humfreville's, Marla, 4Baja, etc.

That trip may also include 'Lost Mission Hunt V' as I have narrowed down the possible site* location to one area.

* site photos at http://davidksbaja.com/402 from a 1966 Desert Magazine.

What is it I say? So Much Baja.. So Little Time!

David.......

Debra - 11-7-2003 at 08:14 PM

I'm hopeing you will forward this thread to 'Desert Rat' This is right up his alley....you all might miss out if he is not in company....:)

Don Jorge - 11-25-2003 at 05:54 PM

David K,

I am heading that way, hopefully, but will not arrive in Gonzaga until Friday morning. I will look for you. I am driving a dark blue F-350 crew cab w/ ARE Camper Shell. I have extra backpacking gear if you wanna give it a try. I will bring it just in case. I am hoping to go up to the Mission but really want to spend a couple of days looking for things in the canyons downstream from the Mission. See you there.

[Edited on 11-26-2003 by Don Jorge]

David K - 11-26-2003 at 01:51 AM

Hola Don Jorge, am glad I read tis before shutting off for the night!

My kids and I will be leaving Wed. (this) morning about 10 am (appointment first), my truck is loaded. Going via Calexico/San Felipe...

Thanksgiving dinner at Alfonsina's semi-private party where we will be guests of DOOOOGLAS, the pilot.

I will either be camping at a friend's place near the south end of Alfonsina's... Or, at Campo Beluga, a couple miles south. Look for my gold Tacoma... my kids will be taking turns on their little dirt bike. have re-estimated the hike to the mission as much shorter (from Arroyo Santa Maria) to about 3-5 miles... Piece a cake! I will wait for you. Another fellow (who emailed me) may show up, from Arizona wanting to go as well... Yipee! If go before you get there, will go again.. I need the excercise... right? :)

Don Jorge - 11-26-2003 at 07:53 AM

David K,

If you read this before you go I have the Mexican topo for the hike. Don't be fooled by line of sight map reading. This is a moderately difficult 5-6 mile hike, one way, with some route finding problems for sure. I do not expect it to be a piece of cake, but just might be with some luck and good map reading skills. See you Friday!

Don Jorge - 12-21-2003 at 12:17 AM

Hi,
Just got back from doing this hike. The short version: Logged a 15 mile round trip hike to the Mission from the junction of the El Camino Real and Arroyo Santa Maria. Thanks David K for that location.
I went up the ECR, 8 miles logged, and came back down Santa Maria canyon, 7 miles. It took me 13 hours. 5 1/2 hours up, 7 hours down, 1/2 hour for lunch.
The numbers say it all. The arroyo approach is a butt kicker!
The ECR from the trailhead is a fairly well ducked, uneven traverse of the North rim of Santa Maria Canyon. It is mostly grunt work, staying on the trail requires a bit of concentration for the first 5 miles. The last 3 miles are well ducked and easy to follow. The ECR junctions with the bulldozed road on the east side of the arroyo along a branch canyon.
The descent is pure fun. Nice granite walls, lots of water, palms, pools and more water. Lots of scrambling, bouldering and more.
There are 3 class 5 moves in the canyon descent which required me to lower my pack with webbing before carefully making the moves down. 2 were simple moves but the third problems' safest solution required me to jump in the big pool and swim across it. Cold water, but it felt great. That pool is a photo at Alfonsinas.
After that it was just another scramble through another granite walled watercourse and palm filled oasis with the last two hours requiring a headlamp to help find a route to camp. I took a few photos and logged some waypoints. I will put together a page and have it up soon.
This is a great hike!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

David K - 12-21-2003 at 12:27 AM

Way to go Don Jorge! I will look forward to reading more details and seeing photos and GPS.

Great to know 8 miles up the ECR/ 5.5 hrs. And, 7 miles via the canyon, but longer time and swimming required! No wonder Father Serra had the trail moved up into the mountain!

[Edited on 12-21-2003 by David K]

Anonymous - 12-21-2003 at 12:12 PM

Thanks for your report on your hike, and congratulations on your success. Looking forward to attempting the hike, also. Your waypoints will be appreciated..."El Mochilero"

Baja Almanac

Ski Baja - 12-22-2003 at 05:52 PM

Don Jorge, I sent you a PM. Did you get it. As far as the almanac goes, it looks to me as if very few people have enough energy to do much besides copy other maps for their new ones. Because on more than one occasion the maps I have, numerous by the way, all had the same mistakes. There are many Mexican maps available that are a bit more accurate. I also noticed so many books written on "The Missions of Alta California" at the La Paz Museum. It makes me wonder why there are so many more being written. And I can't wait to compare notes when the new issues come out.
A Mexican's version of their history as opposed to an Americans version of someone elses history. Should be interesting.

OUTSTANDING!!!!

David K - 12-22-2003 at 06:21 PM

Outstanding job Don Jorge! Photos, story and GPS data for both the El Camino Real and the Santa Maria canyon. http://www.southcoastfarms.com/gonzaga_to_mission_santa_mari...

Naturally, I have some questions!

Up until and including Junipero Serra's long walk, the canyon was the ECR route... It was very difficult (known as El Cajon), but passable with a few falls to the pack animals. Do you think there was a trail along the canyon wall that stayed above the water, that has since washed away?

The Franciscans after Serra's passage had the newer ECR built north (above and out) of the canyon.

Just beyond my last waypoint, where did you find the ECR where it disappeared on Chris and I (higher or lower)?

May I add your web page link to davidksbaja.com?

Thanks again for your efforts and great success!

[Edited on 3-13-2004 by David K]

Don Jorge - 12-22-2003 at 06:42 PM

Hi David, Thanks.

I found the trail up from your last waypoint. Everytime I lost it I found myself lower and south of it. Everytime. It got to when I couldn't find it I just went up and there it would be.

I think the canyon has inevitably changed over the last 200 years. But I believe the old trail is higher up where I went looking for it or higher up on the other side. I just did not have enough time to keep looking. Perhaps some other day.

By all means include the link. It is the least I can do for your help!
I have been to many places in Baja, this place blew me away!

David K - 12-22-2003 at 08:20 PM

Thanks Jorge... You know Mision Santa Maria and the canyon is one of Graham Mackintosh's favorite Baja areas, and he has seen more of Baja up close than most of us!

I find a special kind of Baja magic in that valley... Perhaps that is why the Jesuits picked that site, as hard as it was to get to, in 1767.

I am blown away by the amount of water that flows year-round from the hills around the mission, and down the canyon... Where does it all come from?! It is amazing and wonderful, indeed!

Change focus to San Pedro Martir hike

David K - 3-13-2004 at 12:37 AM

Now, that Don Jorge has succeeded in going up to Santa Maria and back, in one day, and gave us an excellent report on the mission trail and canyon route, let's discuss the other hike mentioned in this thread... To Mision San Pedro Martir... The most remote and difficult to reach mission in Baja.

Jack Swords has been wanting to do this hike for quite some time... a forest fire and military closure (marijuana fields discovered) forced a cancellation last year.

The plan is we will meet at Rancho Meling (San Jose) on Apr. 3 and the next morning drive up to the forest/ national park, on the observatory road. As we are not so young anymore, we hope to be able to drive south towards Rancho Viejo as far as the road goes to shorten the walking needed.

The original site of the mission was in La Grulla meadow, and the site was recently discovered. From there we will continue down from 8,000 feet to 5,000 feet where the mission's final location is found. We hope for two days to get there, a day exploring, and two days back. Jack has hired a guide and a mule to carry the heavy stuff (H2O, etc.)... Probably is a 15 mile (one way) hike.

Expressing a desire to join Jack and I are 'bajarunner', 'mexitron', 'pappy', and new Baja mission book author Dave Werschkul (http://www.bajamission.com)

If you need a room at Meling Ranch the 3rd and the night we come back down (8th?) you need to contact Duane.

More details to follow...

David K - 3-13-2004 at 01:13 AM

One of the first people I spoke to who has been to Mision San Pedro Martir was Baja Bucko... BB sent me a coulpe photos from that 1973 expedition...

David K - 3-13-2004 at 01:18 AM

Here's Baja Bucko at the mission...

Years later she would be known as the person who rides a mule on El Camino Real... El Crucero to Santa Maria, Santa Maria to Gonzaga, and La Purisima to Mulege this month.

Baja Bucko

David K - 10-16-2004 at 08:15 PM

I was just reviewing some old posts when I came across the photos Baja Bucko sent to me from her trip to Mision San Pedro Martir, many years earlier. Below is a photo of me and Baja Bucko when I met her and her family in 2001, on her way to another mule trip in Baja.

David K - 10-16-2004 at 08:25 PM

To wrap up this dual topic (Santa Maria & San Pedro Martir Hike) thread...

Here is the web page for the San Pedro Martir hike: http://community-2.webtv.net/vivabaja/spm

Here is Don Jorge's awesome Santa Maria hike (from the Gonzaga side) web page: http://www.southcoastfarms.com/gonzaga_to_mission_santa_mari...