BajaNomad

The loss of JR, our good friend

Pages:  1  

j&jinbaja - 12-12-2005 at 08:24 AM

My name is Jim. My wife Jeri and I have a place next to JR (jrbaja) and his girlfriend Carol in La Barca..

It is with my deepest regrets to inform everyone that JR passed away Saturday afternoon in a Rosarito hospital from complications probably related to ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). This is just a best guess, because we really don't know what the cause was.

I had the responsibility of helping place him on the ambulance gurney at his home to be moved to the hospital because he was having trouble breathing.

He subsequently slipped into a coma and died a few hours later. It appears to have been a merciful ending to the idealistic life that he lead.

We know he had a lot of friends that extended to this BajaNomad board that he dearly loved. We have enjoyed lurking and reading his tales of La Barca and other writings. Maybe someday we can add a bit to what he started.

We met JR about a year and a half ago and enjoyed his wit, sense of humor and generosity. He definitely had a way about him and touched many lives from California to La Paz. We feel priviledged and lucky to have known him.

Again, please accept our deepest sympathies to those of you that are in the same state of shock that we are enduring from this tragic news.

Jim and Jeri

David K - 12-12-2005 at 08:32 AM

Vaya Con Dios, JR... May you continue your dreams and efforts to help others from a higher place now!

bajalou - 12-12-2005 at 08:56 AM

Wow - that's really Baja's loss-

bajajudy - 12-12-2005 at 09:13 AM

We will all miss him.
I, for one, am speechless.
Is there someone there for Carol?

bajagrouper - 12-12-2005 at 09:13 AM

Via con Dios, Amigo...

Skeet/Loreto - 12-12-2005 at 09:14 AM

JR-

Rest in Peace!

Skeet/Loreto

Bob H - 12-12-2005 at 09:31 AM

I'm pinching myself to see if I'm dreaming. I will never forget the day I met JR and shook his hand. What a huge shock this is. May you rest in peace JR.
Bob H

Cincodemayo - 12-12-2005 at 10:29 AM

Wow what a difference a few days make. Seems that a memorial Bamboo garden is in order for our amigo. Rest well JR....I will surely miss your posts and pictures my friend. God Bless you.

Rest in Peace

Keri - 12-12-2005 at 10:31 AM

bajaden - 12-12-2005 at 10:32 AM

These words come hard for me. I feel a saddness and loss for someone I only knew from this board. I sensed his sincerity, anger, and frustration at what I beleive, were failed exercises to him. He could provoke more responses than anyone else on this board. He made us uncomfortable. Just when everyone was feeling that all was right with the world. Jr would come and stir the pot, ruffle the feathers, and generaly, rain on the parade. I, for one, will miss him.

Who knows, maybe after a few days of trying to rearrange heaven, God may send him back.

Vios Con Dios, Jr.

JESSE - 12-12-2005 at 10:38 AM

Is this another gringo joke or is this actually true?

rpleger - 12-12-2005 at 10:40 AM

Dido Bajaden............

JR could sure make us look at ourselves and what we were saying on this board.

Good luck where ever you are JR.

JR's Passing

MrBillM - 12-12-2005 at 10:49 AM

I think that we should accept this as a sincere effort to make us aware of his death. believing (and hoping) that no one is so demented to make up something like this. His illness would explain his absence recently from a forum that he delighted in.

Though he and I agreed on few things, he was a staunch defender of his vision of Baja and he was responsible for a lot of charitable actions aimed at his Baja friends and neighbors.

May God bless and keep him.

polloatician - 12-12-2005 at 10:57 AM

This is no Joke. JR Has been suffering for the last year. He hid his condition from this board, not his friends.

I will always remember his warm smile and his infectious laugh.

RIP amigo, you will be missed.

ME NO

jerry - 12-12-2005 at 10:58 AM

well JR rest in peace. your passions for baja are well recognised and will live on have a good one

JZ - 12-12-2005 at 11:13 AM

Unbelievable :( They don't make many like JR. I was hoping to meet him in person someday. :( Very sad.

MrBillM-----I echo your thoughts completely----

Barry A. - 12-12-2005 at 11:15 AM

------tho I never met him eyeball to eyeball, I did banter back and forth with him on this forum, and we shared many mutual "likes". JR was certainly unique---------but, for sure, you cannot take all the "good he did" away from him.

I sure loved his photos, and the stories------I miss him already. RIP JR Barry

bajapablo - 12-12-2005 at 11:18 AM

What a tremendous loss for this board, the people of baja, and the rest of his friends and family.

que Dios te cuida siempre JR.

JR

bajabeachgirl - 12-12-2005 at 11:33 AM

Hi...I'm Jeri, Jim's wife...I set up my own account so I could respond to your questions (I didn't know his password).

No...this is not a joke. I hope there aren't people out there who would actually write things like that and think it could possibly be funny.

JR's brother should have been down yesterday to help Carol with everything. We left Baja early yesterday morning. I will be calling her sometime today to check in with her.

JR did send us the most beautiful sunset on Saturday. Jim will be posting it ASAP.

We miss you already JR...the world was a better place having you in it.

Bruce R Leech - 12-12-2005 at 12:36 PM

I am truly saddened by this news . J.R.baja was a good friend :no:

Bajame - 12-12-2005 at 01:07 PM

This is so hard because as was mentioned lots of us didn't know about his illness. Even though he could stir up my feelings I will miss him.
See you sometime later JR. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

In memory of JR

Sharksbaja - 12-12-2005 at 01:41 PM

I find this a bit hard to write as I had a certain kinship with Mr Palmer. I can't say exactly what it is but I always felt we shared more than being born on the same day of the same year.
My chest is in my throat as I try to figure this out. I can just imagine how intense and how full his life must have been.

After reading scores of JRs' posts and also some personal notes, I am convinced that JRs' life has touched many in a positive way. JRs and his experience and love for a place we call our favorite will be passed along. His message was crystal clear to me.
He knew us in a way others can't. He loved us in a way others couldn't. He remanded us when necessary.
He gave in a way we know not how.

Your legacy will be carried forward and onward by us.

Rest in Peace brother, your mission is complete.

TMW - 12-12-2005 at 01:46 PM

God speed JR. I did not know him personally other than from the Nomad board. He sure could stir the pot and get everyones opinion started on whatever he'd said. If there's one thing he did, it was to get you thinking and responding. He will be missed.

JESSE - 12-12-2005 at 01:51 PM

I am in shock, i really liked the dude, beent o his place a few times, had a couple of beers talking about the gringo riff raff as he lke to call them, descanse en paz amigo JR.:(

burro bob - 12-12-2005 at 01:54 PM

It is hard to write when you have just had the wind knocked out of you.
I only knew JR through his posts here on this board. I wish I had been able to meet him in person.
He was obviously the kind of person that only a few would agree with him on everything, although I probably agreed with him more than I disagreed, his passion for life in Baja was obvious and contagious.
I will very much miss his insight and knowledge.
Robert Kinson
burro bob

comitan - 12-12-2005 at 02:06 PM

JR Just new challenges for you, go after those Angel enclaves just like you did the coupers.

JR

CJ - 12-12-2005 at 02:14 PM

I never knew JR. other than reading what he said on this board and others for the last three years or so. JR seemed like a real sincire person and lived like he believed. I will miss him. Rest in peace JR.

wilderone - 12-12-2005 at 03:07 PM

I had wanted to meet the colorful JR (and regret that this is no longer possible). He was a true Baja nomad - and he obviously had a lot of courage to act and speak on issues he believed in. His legacy will hpefully live through his innovative bamboo projects. I'll remember you in prayer amigo; hugs to his family.

lizard lips - 12-12-2005 at 04:21 PM

Rest in peace my friend.....JR was truly in a class by himself. I did'nt agree with some of his interesting banter but if someone needed his help he would do what he could. He was able to help me on a few occasions and I offered to pay him for his time but he refused. I for one will miss his posts. He was an asset to the people of Baja. I wish there were more like him.......

JR my friend I salute you

Baja Bernie - 12-12-2005 at 04:49 PM

Like others of his friends I was aware of some of the problems that JR faced over the past year or more.
Hell! I was called a hypocrite by more that one member of this board when I disagreed, in a very forcible manner, with his attacks on some of the members of this board. I visited him a few weeks before I posted this disagreement even knowing that he was very sick. Yes, he and I shared a lot!
I must tell you that the absolutely the worst thing that you could wish for this Baja warrior is that he rest in peace.
Hell No! He could never deal with that. Lashing out right and left was his style and what made him a darling of this board.
JR know that you have not lost this old guys friendship and keep pulling the devils tail.
I missed you even before your were gone.

Phil C - 12-12-2005 at 05:01 PM

I for one will miss the pot being stirred and his sincere affection for Baja, but moreso his desire and actions for helping the people in the out-of-the-way places that he seemed to realy enjoy. It's our loss. RIP JR, Phil

JESSE - 12-12-2005 at 05:39 PM

No mas P-nche bamboo.

Jr's last post 12/9 1:52 pm

Mike Supino - 12-12-2005 at 07:12 PM

Does this mean no more Hot Dogs

in the hand pushed cart?
Perhaps the new guys will deliver.

[Edited on 12-13-2005 by Mike Supino]

Al G - 12-12-2005 at 08:10 PM

I didn't know you personally, but sure was hoping to meet you someday.
RIP brother Nomad

thanks

jrbaja - 12-12-2005 at 08:13 PM

To all of you, Thanks for the kind words for my J.R. this is Carol replying. I'm doing O.K. for now. He was surley one of a kind and I'll miss him.

Rest in Peace, Baja Amigo...

Mexray - 12-12-2005 at 08:44 PM

JR,
Knew him not
liked him a lot
when he talked
his beloved Baja.

He could ruffle feathers
and detract his peers
but his heart was true
to the people he knew.

The hour glass of life
has only so many grains.
Some less than others
it seems such a shame.

You've touched so many,
from far and near,
it's time for a rest
may it be in eternal peace.

Juan del Rio - 12-12-2005 at 10:14 PM

JR...
Rest in peace and may the sunshine of Baja forever shine upon you.

Bob H - 12-12-2005 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
JR,
Knew him not
liked him a lot
when he talked
his beloved Baja.

He could ruffle feathers
and detract his peers
but his heart was true
to the people he knew.

The hour glass of life
has only so many grains.
Some less than others
it seems such a shame.

You've touched so many,
from far and near,
it's time for a rest
may it be in eternal peace.

Ray, you got it man.

Wow

Bob H

bajalera - 12-12-2005 at 10:28 PM

A really sweet guy, who was not at all like his posts. Dang, I had looked forward to seeing him again.

My sympathy to you, Carol.

Neal Johns - 12-12-2005 at 10:38 PM

I only met JR for a few minutes, but the loss of a Nomad is always a shock. Give 'em hell, JR.

Our condolences

CaboMagic - 12-12-2005 at 11:01 PM

Dignity
Determination ..
Compassion
Passion ..
Intriqued and intriquing ..
Inspired and inspiring.

Carol and family we offer our condolences on the passing of your loved one. May you find comfort in knowing the widespread love and admiration felt for him.

Tommy and Lori Garcia

Incomplete...

vgabndo - 12-12-2005 at 11:30 PM

http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?visitid=6790

Capt. George - 12-13-2005 at 06:44 AM

I had not checked this thread till now. Thought JR leaving, was him being peeed and exiting Nomads..

He could sure stir it up...he will be missed.

vios con dios amigo

el Vikingo de Punta Abreojos

postman - 12-13-2005 at 08:54 AM

I was hopeing to meet him and visit his Bamboo gardens on my last trip. Allas it will never be.

David K - 12-13-2005 at 09:30 AM

Notice the ship items? Those are all props from the movie Titanic that JR was able to hang onto after his working for the movie production as a head carpenter... He had a museum display of them for some time in Rosarito.

daveB - 12-13-2005 at 11:47 AM

Rest in Peace, J.R. You have made the world a better place.

baja sur - 12-13-2005 at 12:26 PM

A Body may pass, But the Spirit lives on Forever !!! & Remember that every day is a gift. "RIP"

gonetobaja - 12-13-2005 at 07:39 PM

This ones for you JR.....(gulp)

Now theres a hole left......:no:

GTB

Qvanbruce - 12-13-2005 at 08:20 PM

To all the "Nomads" who've posted regarding JR I thank you more than I'm able to express for the sympathy and more importantly, your understanding of who my brother really was. As I read your posts I find that I'm learning more about him too. As most of you know, he was an adventurer, in the old sense of the word, extraordinaire. I don't know how forthcoming he might have been w/his personal history, but for any who are interested I'll be putting together a brief biography soon, mostly for old friends and relatives, but available to any of you, as well.

I've met only very few of you, but from reading your recent posts and from hearing JR's stories and rants about the site, I know I'm going to have to explore his world, albeit tardily. Thanks again, Bruce

Mike Supino - 12-13-2005 at 08:36 PM

Thank you Bruce,
I believe that a biography would be fantastic.
Please post it here.

Qvanbruce - 12-13-2005 at 08:45 PM

Mike - Thanks for confirming that this all works. Is there a limit to the size of a post on this forum?

David K - 12-13-2005 at 09:07 PM

No, only if you attach photographs... then they must be under 50 KBS.

Thank you for doing this Bruce... JR was quite the man here on Nomad... we butted heads a few times, but in person we were always friends. I hope Carol is doing well and she should feel free to make any needs of hers known. Many of us live in Southern California, so we can get to La Barca without much problem.

My email is info*at*vivabaja.com should there be anything you need from me, 'off the air'.

bajajudy - 12-14-2005 at 07:47 AM

Thanks Bruce
Please accept my condolences.
I would love to know more about JR. Please do the biography.
Take care of yourself and Carol.

DDurrell - 12-14-2005 at 11:25 AM

Bruce, Thanks for telling me about this site. I had no idea. I'd like to throw in some tid bits of our "adventures" growing up etc. for the biography. From what I've read Jay made a lasting impression on a lot of people..... but then again.... thats JR. Can't believe he's gone. Carol, my thoughts and prayers are with you. talk to you soon.
Cousin Dave

bajalera - 12-14-2005 at 10:48 PM

Thanks for that offer, Bruce and Cousin. A lot of us look forward to your words on JR.

elgatoloco - 12-15-2005 at 08:40 AM

Our condolences to Carol and the rest of the family. We are sorry that we were never able to get 'face time' with JR. More then once we made tentative plans, but......

We will miss his travel stories and great photos of places we long to visit. We will miss the anticipation of opening up a post he authored and watching it's development. He had a way of getting your attention.

His, and Carol's, desire to give of themselves and help the people of Baja is an inspiration to all.

Rest in peace JR!

Braulio - 12-15-2005 at 11:34 AM

Good Luck to you wherever you are JR.

See if you can find an internet connection to keep us informed.

God's speed Sir.

sylens - 12-16-2005 at 03:21 PM

it has all been said. vaya con dios.

Bruce R Leech - 12-16-2005 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Qvanbruce
To all the "Nomads" who've posted regarding JR I thank you more than I'm able to express for the sympathy and more importantly, your understanding of who my brother really was. As I read your posts I find that I'm learning more about him too. As most of you know, he was an adventurer, in the old sense of the word, extraordinary. I don't know how forthcoming he might have been w/his personal history, but for any who are interested I'll be putting together a brief biography soon, mostly for old friends and relatives, but available to any of you, as well.

I've met only very few of you, but from reading your recent posts and from hearing JR's stories and rants about the site, I know I'm going to have to explore his world, albeit tardily. Thanks again, Bruce

that will be good I cant wait to read it . thanks Bruce your brother was a true Baja adventurer

Bruce

Baja Bernie - 12-16-2005 at 08:34 PM

Toward the end JR used to talk about falling out of a swing, when he was 20, and hurting his neck. He blamed his worsening illness on this event. Do you know what he was talking about?

JR's neck injury

Qvanbruce - 12-17-2005 at 03:06 PM

bajabernie - No, he was never one to complain about aches and pains, etc. Let's see, when he was "about" 20 ..... that would have been about 1973, I'm petty sure he was living (mostly) in Los Gatos, CA. and Casper and possibly Gillete, WY. around that time. We both did a lot of traveling, sometimes together, sometimes not. But most everyplace he'd been, there'd be plenty of opportunities to fall out of swings and to damage himself in ways undreamable to us ordinary folk.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm gonna try to put together a short (hah !) biography of mi bro, and I can see that I'm gonna have to do some serious research.

I just got off the phone w/his first girlfriend, to whom i'd told the sad news a few days ago. When they were an "item", 1956 - 1960, he was already climbing the sugar maple in our front yardand seeing how many of the steps down into our cellar he could jump without breaking a leg.

Thanks for your concern and I hope to get together with you someday, as well as with as many of his Baja compadres as I can find. Best regards, Bruce

Jr will be missed

academicanarchist - 12-17-2005 at 05:33 PM

Indeed very sad news, and he will be missed.

woody with a view - 12-17-2005 at 07:58 PM

having been offline for a couple weeks i was blown away to hear of JR's sudden death. it only serves to remind how precious life is, and how we should live and love each day and each of those who are near to our hearts.

hey JR-

put in a good word for me with the man up there, and save me a spot!!!

DDurrell - 12-17-2005 at 08:35 PM

JR's neck injury

Bruce, I don't remember any swing incident, but he did fall out of the back of my VW van and did a few summersaults as I was getting on the freeway That would have been around that time. I forgot about Los Gotos and Wyoming. Wasn't he there with Duane for a while?
No luck with Saltystarfish yet. I'll keep you posted.
Dave

Bruce R Leech - 12-19-2005 at 08:20 PM

it sure is quiet around here.:?: I think we are going to miss him for a long time

Gone but not forgotten

capn.sharky - 12-23-2005 at 10:26 PM

Sometimes you just have to go to be missed. From his postings I would think J.R. had a full life. We are shared his love for Baja and he will be missed by us all.

Another memory

Gypsy Jan - 12-29-2005 at 08:05 PM

floats to the surface in this "Auld Lang Syne" time.

As I recall, JR took great pride in the "hits" to his posts.

Is he the alltime Response King?

Jr sounds more and more

Hook - 1-5-2006 at 07:51 PM

like a Kerouac character, the more I read from this thread.

That's a complement, IMB.

Qvanbruce - 1-6-2006 at 01:03 AM

Mr. Hook, I gotta thank you for the insight (Kerouac character). I've been trying to organize sumkinda bio to fill y'all in on JR, pre-baja. I think I'll just post the occasional tale, anecdote, "substance" induced episode, etc. & see how it goes.

Bruce R Leech - 1-14-2006 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Mr. Hook, I gotta thank you for the insight (Kerouac character). I've been trying to organize sumkinda bio to fill y'all in on JR, pre-baja. I think I'll just post the occasional tale, anecdote, "substance" induced episode, etc. & see how it goes.

I think you can tell by the number of hits on this thread that we are all waiting . maybe you could do it in chapters. one at a time.

I also think it would be good If you attach them to this original thread to keep it going.

Bruce R Leech - 1-16-2006 at 07:38 AM

seem like he always received more hits than any other person that posted

tim40 - 1-16-2006 at 11:23 PM

Time has not been on my side for several months......and I am just now reading this post. An original has past, and the mold was long since broken. The views always stirred a near reflex action in many for the need to respond and suggest how out of touch, line, whack....etc..the comment or implication was. Ah, although we generally don't appreciate it at the time, we often miss those the most that forced us to defend or think differently.

When searching for the end of your rainbow, you only have until dusk.. tm 87

Until next time our friend.

Shades of JR

zforbes - 1-19-2006 at 02:18 PM

I see that Target is now marketing sheets and towels of 50% bamboo and 50% cotton...I wonder how JR would have responded to that!

Even though JR was able to tweak my buttons, I was really interested in his bamboo setup and would have wanted to see it sooner or later. I found him to be a pretty constant irritant until one particular post where I "listened" to him as if he were my brother instead of an unknown poster. What I heard was someone who wanted recognition for what he had accomplished without having to make a big deal of it himself. I had the idea that he meant well, even when he wasn't able to phrase it in a way that people could respond to positively. After that post, I had a more generous heart toward him, and he seemed a lot more human to me. I regret that I won't ever have a chance to meet him at his bamboo outpost to see what he is up to. I think he will be in our thoughts for a long time. Zoe

Travels with JR

Qvanbruce - 1-22-2006 at 11:08 PM

So, sometime in the winter of, uhh, probably '73 or '74 I was living the good life in N. San Diego County. Some friends had a huge ol' dormitory of a house right across the street from "thousand steps", an easy five minute walk to a reasonably good and consistent surf break where I spent a significant portion of my plentiful free time.

My extremely self-indulgent lifestyle was made possible by my natural (New England upbringing, Scot/English heritage) parsimony and a fairly easy work schedule at an upscale "natural" food restaurant in La Jolla. A Labrador retreiver and a couple of undemanding girlfriends made Bruce a happy camper.

JR, as far as I knew, was living in Wyoming, gainfully employed and comfortable. We didn't communicate on a regular basis in those days, it was one of those times when our paths had diverged and a call on or near a birthday or Christmas was pretty much the extent of our keeping in touch.

But, and I remember this well, one afternoon after a session with the waves I wandered into our kitchen after a post surf shower to find a note from one of my roommates: "Call your brother" with a phone no. and an unidentifiable area code.
"Uh oh", thinks I, "stuck truck", or "legal difficulties resulting from herbal medication" or ... ",Oh hell, Might as well just call, if law enforcement, or worse a lawyer's office is at the other end I can always hang up. Or not".

So I called, he answered (whew!), and, strangely enough he wasn't in any difficulties (bigger whew!!) We chatted awhile and I discovered that he was living in Casper with a couple of friends and working (!!!) for an oil rig maintenance company.

He asked about what I was doing, I think I'd changed jobs since we'd last spoken and I filled him in on the details of my life and loves, he came back with "How'd ya like to come to Casper?" " There's plenty of room in the house'n I can fer sure get ya a job where I work, or some place else. Aaand.."

"Back'er down there, buckwheat," sez I, "I'm doin' fine right where I am." "Got a job I almost like, a car that runs, usually, and the surf's almost always pretty good."

"As I was trying to say" he broke in, "and I've got a ride for you from a friend that lives in Orange County and she'll pick you up."

"Wait a minute" I got in while he caught his breath, "What about Gandalf?"

Gandalf, a somewhat elderly Lab/Weimeraner, liked to travel and, being the child of a broken home, with a very casual, undefined shared custody agreement with one of my ex-girlfriends, had a place to seek refuge, in the unlikely event that I should actually up anchor and take off for cowboy country. JR, of course, knew this, and he knew I was weakening and that it was time to strike.

"By the way," he said, "Did I mention that there's about a foot of snow on the ground here in Casper and up on Mt. Hogadon there's new powder on a couple feet of base, no lift lines, even on weekends, and lift tickets are twelve bucks on weekdays."

"So, uh, when's your friend planning on leaving" Giving up all hope of resisting his campaign. Thinking, way back in the somewhat obscured parts of my brain: "There's more to this than he's letting on."

But no matter, I realized. I really don't have any good reason not to go. And, besides, payday's tomorrow and my rent's paid for another week.

"So, anything I should bring along?"

"Some avocados'd be great! And maybe some fresh fruit"

"Okay, then, let me have your friend's phone no. and we'll sort out the details."

"Great, Bro. Your gonna love it here." He enthused. "Oh, by the way, do you have some gas money? I'm not sure Connie'll have enough for the whole trip.

"Yeah, well, I'm sure that if you're setting me up for something I'm not yet fully aware of, It will, at least, be interesting." I said, already starting to have second thoughts.

"Hey," he countered, "Don't worry!" "Think Snow!"

About three days later, after "crashing" the first night with old friends of mine in Berzerkely, then the second night with friends of Connie's in Tahoe City and driving straight thru from there with only stops for fuel, food and repairing a slightly shredded tire, we arrived in Casper.

Ski Baja

Sharksbaja - 1-23-2006 at 01:48 AM

I'll bet he was good!

Bruce R Leech - 1-23-2006 at 08:03 AM

keep um coming Qvanbruce

Qvanbruce - 1-23-2006 at 01:36 PM

Sharksbaja, Yep, as those of you who read his posts, went back and forth with him on Baja politics & sociology, and actually met the man know, there were many parts to JRbaja.

I think one of his best traits though, was his ability to share his enthusiasm for his myriad plans and projects and to involve many of the local folks and visitors in accomplishing them.

His collection and distribution of clothes and medicines to the victioms of the big hurricane a couple years ago comes to mind, as well as his attempts to increase the economic options for the teenagers and young adults in his adopted "hometown", San Bartolo.

Thanks for your post, I'm working along with his bio. Bruce

Travels w/JR ch. 2

Qvanbruce - 1-23-2006 at 05:05 PM

So, arriving in Casper Wyo. after a relatively uneventful three-day trip from N. San Diego County, JR's girlfriend Connie and I found his house, a two story, sorta decrepit place, out in the suburbs.

JR was home, surprised to see us so soon. Previous "road trips" that we'd shared nearly always included various dramas that played havoc with schedules and arrival times. But he was glad to see us, almost suspiciously so.

He, and a couple of his current housemates helped get our luggage, skis and Connies' Saint Bernard into the house and we settled down inside to get warm, have a wee smoke, and catch up on our various adventures. Mine were quickly dealt with, as my life for the previous year or two, with the exception of having the house I was renting a room in burn pretty much to the ground, had been pretty much settled, and dull.

JR's, on the other hand, included traveling around, mostly by thumb, N. California, Nevada, Utah, Idaho & Montana. Getting an occasional job as a carpenter or whatever he could get to survive on, and occasionally supplementing his marginal income by redistributing la yierba verde y majica from places where it was available to places where it wasn't. We thought of it as public service logistics.

One of his stories, having to do with a trip from, I think, Teton Nat'l Park, where he'd worked in the local community driving, of all things, a laundry truck, to Gillette, Wyo., where, someone had told him, there were good jobs available in some mining operation. He and a couple of his buddies, one of whom had a car, pooling their cash, were able to nearly fill the gas tank and off they went.

The trip, for most of the way was apparently uneventful until they got caught in a blizzard somewhere along the way, ran their car off the road, (chains ?, snow tires ?, nah, not necessary) and had to spend several hours in the car keeping warm in the below freezing temperatures, first, until the car used up all the gas, by using the car's heater and then by just keeping bundled up in every piece of clothing they had and occasionally getting out of the car and running around in the snow to keep the blood moving.

They did make it to Gillette, and probably found some work but soon were on their (or at least his) way to Casper.

Soon after making it to Casper, finding some work there, I guess, but having a difficult time paying the rent on their house and keeping food on the table, JR made the call to me in Leucadia, extolling all the wonderful virtues of Casper and hoping that if and when I got there I'd have enough cash to at least pay the rent for another month. I did, but they'd already been given an eviction order and so another residence was found, a nicer house, really, just a block or so from the North Platte River. We all moved, I managed to bluff my way into a welding job at a local factory that produced heavy equipment for strip mining (up 'til then I had approximately zero welding experience, but having inherited just a bit of the same "gift of gab" that served JR so well, and figuring that even if they fired me, they'd have to pay my wages for the time it took them to discover my ineptitude, and that would indeed improve our finances) and ended up staying there, on the swing shift, for two or three months.

Just an aside to any of you who might find yourself in the vicinity of any heavy equipment, especially those giant dump trucks in the strip mining areas of Wyoming and Utah, don't stand too close to them, eh? Might be some "iffy" welds holding some of them together.

While I was learning to weld on the swing shift, JR found work for an outfit that did the tarring and shingling on the roofs of the ever growing number of two and three-story apartment buildings that were going up in Casper. It was still winter, so working on roofs, always windy and always near freezing temperatures, was challenging. Fortunately, though, due probably to an accident or two, when the wind speed got to the point that it was difficult to stay upright on the roofs or the temp got so low that the melted tar would re-solidify on its ascent from the tar pot on the ground to the roof, the foreman would shut things down, sometimes for the rest of the day. On those happy days JR'd rush home, get me out of bed (usually just a couple hours after I'd gotten home from my night job), and off we'd go to Mt. Hogadon.

In terms of vertical drop, or amenities available, Mt. Hogadon is nothing to write home about. It is, however, blessed during the winter months with perfect, and regularly renewed, natural powder. And, as JR had told me in his pitch to get me to Wyoming, on weekdays and even most weekends the lift lines were somewhere between non-existent and negligible. We spent a lot of time up on the mountain.

We both did work quite a bit though, as did the other folks living in our house by the N. Platte. By now the household included a couple more friends with wives, girlfriends, dogs, etc. that JR'd convinced to make the trek to Casper and, with at least two or three of us steadily employed most of the time, we were getting along quite nicely.

The cultural and social realities of Casper at that time were somewhat complicated. Those who could trace there ancestry back to the ranchers and cowboys, not really that
many generations ago, were considered the "real" Casper-ites. Next in the social order would be sheep ranchers, not quite as good a pedigree as those who'd been, or still were, cattle ranchers,then would come the "nouveau riche" of the recent oil and uranium booms, after them would be the professors, staff and students at the nearby University of Wyoming, and, at the bottom of the list would have been those recently arrived roustabouts, riggers, mechanics, etc. and people of indeterminate skills who were looking for most any kind of paying job. The "real" locals considered, and called, all those of the last group "hippies".

The various groups mixed, but not always successfully. One of the places in town that seemed to have the most eclectic mixes of folks was the "WonderBar", offering live music, and of course, dancing to mostly 60's and 70's rock n roll along with a generous helping of Country, or to us hippies, "chitkicker" music.

JR, of course, got along pretty well with most everyone on some level, despite his shoulder-length hair and general "hippie-ness". I do remember, however, more than one occasion when it was necessary to beat a hasty retreat pursued by, usually, some cowboys who'd made some unnecessarily rude remarks regarding our appearance and, being appropriately chastised, most often by JR, escalated the disagreement with fists and boots, to the point that a strategic withdrawal was the best option.

The writer's situation changed when, one evening at work he was offerred a ride to Denver the next day, a Saturday, I believe, to attend a Jefferson Airplane concert at the University of Colorado. Appropriate substances were administered on the way there, the concert was very much enjoyed and, when it was over the writer was unable to find his amigos from work who'd brung him, or their car. Not a huge problem - hitchike into Denver, find some hippies, arrange for some space on the floor, maybe even a couch and off to Casper the next day. It all worked out: the couch was comfy, the new friends interesting and generous and the extra day that I stayed there, inconsiderately not trying to contact JR to let him know I was OK, cost me the welding job, and a well-deserved lecture from my younger brother about responsiblities.

He, of course, turned the lemons to lemonade, though, by getting me a job with the roofing co. he was working for. We both seemed to be able to convince bosses, foremen, etc. that we were worthy of the more responsible jobs and we ended up sharing the "tar-pot" operator responsibilities which, in the middle of a Wyoming winter, is a real plum!

Not too long after acquiring that job though, a narrow escape involving an insufficiently ballasted crane on a three story roof, a foreman that insisted on lifting more weight on the crane than was sensible, and a view of JR from the edge of the roof that I'll never forget of him in full race mode trying to avoid being the point of impact for a pallet full of shingles, the crane and various other bits and pieces. After racing down the three story staircase and finding JR shaken, winded, but generally OK, we had a brief strategy meeting, decided there were better ways to go, and walked off the job.

Winter was over, no more powder up on the mountain, and the thought of working in the dust and heat of a Wyoming summer, and the fact that I didn't feel like looking for another job, anyway, got me on my way back to Leucadia. JR, coming to much the same conclusions as I had about Casper, made some calls and headed back to Yellowstone and a job fencing pastures. I visited him there a few months later and found him living in a cabin a few steps from the Snake River. Smelling like roses, as always.

W

Bruce R Leech - 1-23-2006 at 07:34 PM

I also was in that aria at that time working in the coal mines and oil fields.

JR in Casper

Qvanbruce - 1-23-2006 at 08:22 PM

Indeed! and did you ever happen to find yourself in WonderBar? Did you ever get into a confrontation with the hippies?

Seriously, It was a most interesting place to spend the Winter and, mostly, I enjoyed my time there, as did JR and all us other hippie/workers.

I even remember a couple of very civilized encounters with the local cops.

One evening, driving to my night job @ Western Oil Tool Co., Stopped by a sheriff for general suspiciousness, the sheriff: "What's that smell, young man? Not some of that dope you kids smoke now, is it?"
"No sir, that's patchouli oil."
sheriff: "Patchouli oil, huh. What does that do for you?"
me: "Oh, nothing. I just like the way it smells."
sheriff: "Isn't that a WATCO hard hat you got there? You on your way to work?"
"Yessir, welder on the swing shift."
sheriff: "Waal, I'm glad to see you damn hippies doin' something besides smokin' dope and causin' trouble, but don't think you're foolin' me with that story about P'chooly damn oil. Get on off to work now, before you're late for your shift."
"Yessir, you have a good night now. Peace."

Bruce R Leech - 1-24-2006 at 08:19 AM

I have been in the WonderBar many times but I was lucky and never got in any fights but I saw many.

lots of good times

I wasn't so lucky in Rock springs Wyo.:lol:

[Edited on 1-24-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech - 1-24-2006 at 10:06 AM

http://www.thewonderbar.net/

Bruce here is the link to the Wonderbar website

JR / Wonder Bar

Qvanbruce - 1-24-2006 at 12:31 PM

Bruce, ! increible ! Whod'a thunkit? and "smoke free".

We lived just a few blocks away, last house on some street that either dead-ended or "T'd" @ the river.

As soon as "the sun's over the yardarm" I think I'll hoist a brewski or two to the old hang-out. And one to yourself, as well. Hope we meet someday.

Bruce

Qvanbruce - 1-24-2006 at 12:34 PM

Bruce, Bruce here again. Just remembered... I think JR got into some difficulties there in Rock Springs, too. Can't remember the details though. Hast la proxima.

Mulege

Qvanbruce - 1-24-2006 at 01:04 PM

Bruce, I just got through admiring your cartographic and artistic renderings. Beautiful, very well done, sir.

A "411": How far up the rio there in Mulege could a boat with 7' draft and 45' mast get? And what's the scoop on long-term liveaboards at anchor?

Thanks, All the best to you & yours, Qvb

BTW, I tried to sign the guestbook on your w-site but after clicking the "sign..." button, it wouldn't load. Ciao

missed replies

Qvanbruce - 1-24-2006 at 03:03 PM

Bruce, I've been getting notifications on MSN that there've been replies from you, Baja Bernie, and Sharksbaja, but when I click on the link to the Nomad Board, there's nothing new. Any ideas? suggestions??

Thanks, Qvan bruce

Bruce R Leech - 1-24-2006 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
Bruce, ! increible ! Whod'a thunkit? and "smoke free".

We lived just a few blocks away, last house on some street that either dead-ended or "T'd" @ the river.

As soon as "the sun's over the yardarm" I think I'll hoist a brewski or two to the old hang-out. And one to yourself, as well. Hope we meet someday.

Bruce

yes in Rock Springs they wore there Pistols while in the Bar

Bruce R Leech - 1-24-2006 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Bruce, I just got through admiring your cartographic and artistic renderings. Beautiful, very well done, sir.

A "411": How far up the rio there in Mulege could a boat with 7' draft and 45' mast get? And what's the scoop on long-term liveaboards at anchor?

Thanks, All the best to you & yours, Qvb

BTW, I tried to sign the guestbook on your w-site but after clicking the "sign..." button, it wouldn't load. Ciao

at high tide you could get lucky and get just inside but I would not try it with seven feet below. most of the liveaboards stay down in the bay there are excellent anchorages there and it is beautiful.

Bruce R Leech - 1-28-2006 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Bruce, I've been getting notifications on MSN that there've been replies from you, Baja Bernie, and Sharksbaja, but when I click on the link to the Nomad Board, there's nothing new. Any ideas? suggestions??

Thanks, Qvan bruce

I don't know about that. it is kind of strange. ask Doug

Qvanbruce - 2-2-2006 at 09:07 PM

Nomads - Sorry for the delay in continuing JR's saga, I had to go work for awhile and I'm now working on loading a bunch of pictures (1953 - 1980) onto cd so I can sort & organise them and them incorporate them into the JR stories.

COMING SOON

JESSE - 2-2-2006 at 09:30 PM

I am just so glad this thread keeps going and going, JR or "Jota Erre" like i used to call him, is sure having fun at seeing just ho much we liked him.

Sharksbaja - 2-3-2006 at 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
I am just so glad this thread keeps going and going, JR or "Jota Erre" like i used to call him, is sure having fun at seeing just ho much we liked him.

ohhhhh! I thought you were sayin' "mota heir"!:lol::lol:

Qvanbruce - 2-3-2006 at 06:57 PM

I'm glad to do my part to keep the thread going, I wish I'd gotten a "tutorial" from JR about how to organise and post pictures. As well as how to take such good and interesting photos. I still can spend hours looking at the hundreds (thousands?) of photos he took of the Peninsula. Especially those in the "Baja's Best Roads" gallery and the ones in the remote "ranchitos" he kept finding on his "voyages of exploration".

"mota heir, mota there" Ciao, Bruce

Bruce R Leech - 2-3-2006 at 07:50 PM

if you email them to David K he will post them to this thread.

Bruce

Qvanbruce - 2-3-2006 at 10:10 PM

Mom and Dad met while Dad was learning to guide waves of "Higgins" boats onto the beaches, first those of the Coronado Amphibious Training Base, later onto slightly less friendly ones of Tinian, Peleliu, Leyte, Okinawa, etc.

Mom was supposed to have been chaperone-ing her younger sister to an officers function at the Phibbase. The chaperone-ing resulted in Mom & Dad's carrying on a standard wartime long-distance romance and when Dad returned intact in '45 or'46 they married, and returned to Dad's home in the tiny hamlet of Chester, Mass. where he went back to teaching.

Their first-born son, the writer, was born in '47. JR, their 2nd, in '53. Sort of a surprise.

Bruce R Leech - 2-3-2006 at 10:30 PM

I can see the resembleance .to both your mother and father.

nice job on the photo posting.

Bruce R Leech - 2-3-2006 at 10:34 PM

Bruce are your Mother and Father both living?

Qvanbruce - 2-3-2006 at 10:47 PM

Aaaand, shortly thereafter, began charming the ladies. He and his companion on the swings, Patty, were an item until he moved to California in 1960. The writer spoke to Patty recently, she's now a grandma, and she fondly related several stories about their escapades "back in the day".

Qvanbruce - 2-3-2006 at 11:09 PM

As you can see, moving 2500 miles to the West didn't cramp his style much. I'm pretty sure he's about to make a move....

David K - 2-4-2006 at 11:16 PM

Thank you Bruce...!!
 Pages:  1