BajaNomad

Just back from Loreto

capn.sharky - 12-15-2005 at 05:57 PM

Got home today from another month in Loreto. Things are a changing down there fast right now. Almost seems like a feeding frenzy going on to buy land. The realtors are raking it in as fast as the Gringcanadians can write their checks. New streets being put in with curbs and sidewalks. Hereos de Independencia soon to be a third major east west street in Loreto. Visited Loreto Bay and had to laugh. Who would ever spend that kind of money to live in that kind of enviornment? Oh well, to each his own. Still predict the first earthquake or hurricane will tear half of it down. The town seems to be doing well as far as the economy goes. Mira Mar keeps expanding and some are still buying on the beach north of the old Penthouse. Beto has opened the new Penthouse---so I have been told. Wouldn't know myself as I stay out of places like that these days. President Rury seems to be hell bent to improve the looks of the town and he is doing a pretty good job of it. Skeet, you would hardly know the place. A new third Pemex is being built on the corner accross the street from Braulios Materiales. New hotels going in everywhere. Just be wary when you buy something down there. I recommend Attorney Antonio Cunningham Yee---although he does not speak english. Still better to buy a mexican house and remodel it than to buy one of the new (really expensive) gringo style houses near or on the beach. Anyone ever ask a Loretano why they don't live on the beach? They will give you a damn good reason. Sorry for the use of the word Gringo---don't want to offend anyone....just easier than using Canadian or American. Maybe whitey would be more appropriate. You got some questions, you can U2U me and I will respond. Happy trails, Capn. Sharky

Skeet/Loreto - 12-15-2005 at 07:47 PM

Thanks Sharky
Always appreciate your good reports:
I know Loreto is changing very Fast. Hope all is well for You. Skeet/Loreto

Loreto North...

Juan del Rio - 12-15-2005 at 08:36 PM

Who would have ever thought.....

[Edited on 12-16-2005 by Juan del Rio]

Loreto...a little more North

Juan del Rio - 12-15-2005 at 08:45 PM

...that there would ever, ever be life north of the old Penthouse!(we use to call it the "Chicken House") Back then, it was the only place to dance after "Baja-thirty". If any of you know Carlos Fiesta, he was always looking for a place to dance...and still is!

Loreto South

Juan del Rio - 12-15-2005 at 08:58 PM

I need some help. I can only post photos that are 300 pixels wide x appx. 225 high. I have a bunch of great aerial photos that I'd like to share in a larger format here with everyone, but the system will not let me...hence, the many edits to my posts (and you all thought I was A.D.D.!)
Any suggestions/education from the board?

comitan - 12-15-2005 at 09:03 PM

You guys all talking about the penthouse, I have to say the horse race course. Right?

capt. mike - 12-16-2005 at 06:17 AM

Gawd.......i just luv those very cute young mexican "working" women.......!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

Juan, check out the post by Ruben over at the BBP re: www.scorpionbay.org

what do you know about him? when are you and then chuckster gonna be back in ol' Sand won neeko?

sorry - its www.scorpionbay.net

[Edited on 12-16-2005 by capt. mike]

Skeet/Loreto - 12-16-2005 at 08:33 AM

Juan: In your "Loreto South" Photo, the large bunch of Greenry that you see at the top of the Photo is the result of Virginia and I planting 250 Coco Palms from 1980 as well as Taco palms and other trees. that was the Location of "Rancho Sonrisa".

"The PinK House' was the name most used in the early days, I think from just a mis- reading of Penthouse.. The strip behind the Penthouse was used for many different things, Drag Strip, Airstrip, Horse Race Track!

Skeet/Loreto

David K - 12-16-2005 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Juan del Rio
I need some help. I can only post photos that are 300 pixels wide x appx. 225 high. I have a bunch of great aerial photos that I'd like to share in a larger format here with everyone, but the system will not let me...hence, the many edits to my posts (and you all thought I was A.D.D.!)
Any suggestions/education from the board?

Juan, Packoderm had a thread called 'Essay Contest' on the General board not long ago asking for an easy way to resize photos for posting here... I offered a method that Neal Johns came up with that works great and is what I use now:

I used Windows Picture It in the past... but the last batch (Erle Stanley Gardner Museum Pics) I tried a new way that the great aridologist Neal Johns told me, and it was easy and in a program all pcs have (I think), 'paint'.

If 'paint' isn't on your deck top, do this (click on):

a) Start

b) All Programs

c) Accesories
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Paint (start here if 'paint' is on your desk top)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) File

3) Open...

3a) then click on the photo to get reduced (double click).

4) Image

5) Sketch/Skew... then change the % down from 100 in both sketch & skew to a lesser number... My photos were taken at normal quality 55-60 kbs. (vs. HQ or SHQ) and changing the % to around 90% brought the kbs to under 50.

If you are taking HQ images, try reducing to 30%.

Continue to Click on:

6) OK

7) File

8) Save As

8a) now type in a name for the photo or add R to it to indicate it is the reduced one... this is a copy so you don't mess with the original.

9) Save

THAT'S IT!

When you move the mouse over the reduced photo in the files, the kb size will show and let you know if you didn't get it low enough, or too low! In either case, repeat the steps above... after you do a couple it gets pretty easy.

Neal gets the credit for this method, don't thank me if you like it!

Thanks David!

Juan del Rio - 12-16-2005 at 09:16 AM

I'll give this a try and see what happens!

David K - 12-16-2005 at 09:36 AM

Viva Scorpion Bay!

Pink house

capn.sharky - 12-16-2005 at 03:18 PM

We all called it the Casa Rosa as it was colored pink. Penthouse came along about 12 or 15 years ago.

Juan del Rio

flyfishinPam - 12-16-2005 at 04:21 PM

Do you have any aerial photos of Loreto pre-1991?

That's the year (1991) I started coming here in a Piper Cherokee so I have some good ones from then. You can really see how things have changed. You may U2U me or e-mail me through my website www.bajabigfish.com

oladulce - 12-16-2005 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

... check out the post by Ruben over at the BBP re: www.scorpionbay.org

what do you know about him? sorry - its www.scorpionbay.net

Can't find a recent post by Ruben on the SB BB ? But now we're curious- what did it say?

Pre-1991 photos

Juan del Rio - 12-16-2005 at 08:02 PM

Pam, I don't have any aerial photos from that time period. I was always doing the "drive down thing". Maybe someone else has some photos of Loreto before that time period they could share.

Pam, can you post some of your old photos? They would be great to view!

soulpatch - 12-16-2005 at 08:19 PM

Hey Juan, my wife uses Kodak Easy Share Photos, which is free online.... I'm sure there are plenty of other free sites but that on works pretty good. Thanks again for the BOLA pics. People can also print them from that site for a very small fee.

Opening Night!

LaTijereta - 12-16-2005 at 10:06 PM

The house that Beto Built..:rolleyes:

jerry - 12-17-2005 at 01:40 AM

the weman in loreto let them build a penthouse in loreto?? wow it is changing fast?? jerry

capt. mike - 12-17-2005 at 05:39 AM

ola dulce
it weren't on the SB BB, it were over at the BBP BB
(baja bush pilots):lol:

capn.sharky - 12-17-2005 at 06:51 PM

"the weman in loreto let them build a penthouse in loreto?? wow it is changing fast?? jerry " The wemon in Loreto have nothing to say about it. It was there before most of them were born. That would be Beto---second on the left. Nothing has changed in Loreto except the location of the local hoarhouse. This is common in Mexico. Most towns of any size have a hoarhouse. The amount of rapes in Mexico is much lower than here in the U.S. ---due to the legality of hoarhouses. We can debate this fact until the cows come home, but it is a fact. In addition to the hoarhouses, most self respecting cantinas will employ two or three girls to keep the customers happy. Sometimes a guy just needs more than a good stiff drink. Try Bar El Marlin, Bar El Messie or La Mulita Blanca for starters. Be aware, however, that the girl your are buying a drink for could turn out to be a hombre. The gays cruise the bars too---so a little groping might be in order to insure you are with a woman. This is all information I have gathered from men who frequent these type of places. I have no personal knowledge of this. P.S. Some of the girls are kinda cute too.

Skeet/Loreto - 12-17-2005 at 07:34 PM

Sharky;
Do you remember that the Old Cathouse that was built in Loreto to service the Road Workers was burned down by the locals shortly after the road was completed. The last time I was there the concrete Slab was still there just above Salvuts Place. When I left it was still being used as a Local sunday place to have a Beer and BS.

Yee opened the present Location shortly thereafter with Weekly Doctors checks of all the Girls
Skeet/Loreto

capn.sharky - 12-17-2005 at 08:40 PM

I believe that was in 1971, Skeet. Beto is a nice fellow. I work with one of his son's who is an attorney in town. However, as you and I know, a weekly check of the girls is no assurance that one won't get a STD. I checked a couple of weeks ago with a local physician and found the there is still only one case of suspected SIDA or Aids in town....most likely contacted through a homosexual encounter. However, as more and more Americans and Canadians show up in Loreto, I would guess that number will go up. Beto's hard and fast rule is that one is to put on a raincoat before taking a shower. As far as I know, that rule in unbreakable. Look at Subic Bay in the Phillipines, aids is more the rule there than the exception. Also in Bankok. More foreign visitors equals more Aids. As for the old Penthouse, alas, it is being torn down little by little for the materials. Its as though a landmark was taken away. When I think of all the comings and goings of that old house, it makes me kinda sad. Again, this is all heresay, as I only visit the place in the daytime when it is closed and only to take photos of friends when they come down. Incidentally, the El Ranchito, in La Paz, has fallen on hard times too. Several new places with fresh young horses have opened up nearby and El Ranchito has been stuck with the old plowhorses---from what I have been told. One last thing....off the subject. Loreto Bay is now planning on getting water from La Parisima---so they say. What ever happened to the promise to build a desalination plant in Nopolo? They have broken so many promises and Mexican laws and yet, Fonatur just looks the other way. I always refer to your question....yes, but where will the water come from. Happy trails.

jerry - 12-17-2005 at 08:55 PM

i was only making mention thaT THE PENTHOUSE WAS OUT OF TOWN BEFORE NOT IN TOWN WHERE IS IT NOW IS IT NOW I WAS TOLD THAT THE WEMAN OF TOWN KEPT IT OUT THERE?? HAVE A GOOD ONE JERRY oops the caps

Jerry

capn.sharky - 12-17-2005 at 09:14 PM

It is not in town but accross the highway (Baja 1) and near the new, so-called, industrial zone. However, Mira Mar is creeping down that way and it could be on the fringe of Mira Mar soon. Do you know where the prison is? Its south of the prison about one klick. You are right about wemon in general in Mexico. They are starting to flex their muscles and are going for equal rights. Good on 'em mate.

OK I'll post some of the "old" photos

flyfishinPam - 12-18-2005 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Juan del Rio
Pam, I don't have any aerial photos from that time period. I was always doing the "drive down thing". Maybe someone else has some photos of Loreto before that time period they could share.

Pam, can you post some of your old photos? They would be great to view!

I'll have to scan them in first. Will scan at the shop manana and post when I can. Busy, busy, busy in town right now!

Loreto Main Street

Juan del Rio - 12-18-2005 at 03:10 PM

David, this photo of Loreto's main street from a couple of weeks ago using the "Paint" method you suggested...

Pam, I'm sure the board would love to see some of the old photos when you get around to it!

Loreto Harbor

Juan del Rio - 12-18-2005 at 03:21 PM

Fooling around with the "Paint" program works, but I'd like to make them larger with I upload. I saw a post a few weeks ago, where someone had put some beautiful photos on the board that were much larger than I'm able to do. Any more suggestions?

turtleandtoad - 12-18-2005 at 06:21 PM

1) In "Paint", under "Image", select "Stretch/Skew;

2) Increase the "Horizontal" and Vertical" from 100% to 150%;

3) Select "Attributes"; Set attributes to "Pixels" if it's not already selected.

4) Check size in pixels, what you're shooting for is 600 pixels width.

If not the correct size, go back to step 1 and try again. ALWAYS change the vertical and horizontal by the same amount.

Unfortunately, because of the small file size of this picture, it gets grainy when you blow it up.

You should always size the picture (in pixels or inches) before changing the file size. Something you can't do in "Paint". At least I haven't been able to find a method of only changing one or the other.

I use Adobe Elements and ArcSoft PhotoStudio (among others). They give you full control of almost all photo parameters.