BajaNomad

"Lurkers"

Bob H - 12-15-2005 at 07:10 PM

I went in to the "member list" and it amazes me how many memebers never post (lurkers). It would be interesting to hear from some of them too! Come on "Lurkers" let's hear your stories too. Tell us why you lurk instead of posting.
Bob H

Skipjack Joe - 12-15-2005 at 07:25 PM

I'm a social lurker, Bob.

Does that count?

Sallysouth - 12-15-2005 at 07:55 PM

What makes One a "lurker"? I read and respond , sometimes....:tumble:

David K - 12-15-2005 at 07:59 PM

Nomads or unregistered readers who never post replies or their own contributions.

If everyone registered to Nomad, and all Nomads posted just one trip report or Baja story from the past... just think how much richer we all would be!:smug::light:

...Just lurking around ...

msawin - 12-15-2005 at 09:47 PM

Hi guys... Check in every evening. Pacific time.
AKA Martini Time, Tripui. 5 years now... Gone back since the fire.... Love the great state of Lower Baja and the people We have met.

Norte calif. Grass Valley.....

Marty

quit lurkin' and start yakkin'...

eetdrt88 - 12-15-2005 at 10:09 PM

:lol::lol::lol: is that the idea???I assume some people register and login just to ask a question or two...but what I havent noticed lately are Anonymous posts,did anon get booted?:biggrin::biggrin:

Bud - 12-15-2005 at 11:10 PM

Hi guys. I've been lurking for quite a while here.
My name is Bud. been going to Baja since I was 10 years old.
Cabo, LA bay, Ganzaga, Rocky point, Mulaha (sp) most of the pacific side and well, Been all over the place and still have many places to visit down there. Usually do the 1K and 500.
Anyways, thought I'd check in and say hi. Since I don't like being a lurker. heh heh!

Bud;D

David K - 12-15-2005 at 11:14 PM

Hi Bud! That is the first time I have seen MULEGE spelled like THAT!!! Anyway, welcome aboard!!! GONZAGA BAY is a great place to get away from it all! What do you think about the coming of pavement?

Bud - 12-15-2005 at 11:46 PM

I don't know. The pavement ended at 181 K when we used to go down to San Quentin every year, when I was a kid. I think there were only like 200 people there then. You can't stop progress though so, what are you going do? It makes it nice to get farther down in a shorter time frame however. The peninsula is growing pretty fast.

I live about 20 miles from the border so it's short shot for me to get down there for short trips. I usually shoot for the south end of Ensinada and gas up to get into the real Baja. We're into 4x4 pretty heavy so we try to take all the off beat roads when were down there. We're heading down to Guadalupe Canyon for the hot tubs the middle of Jan.

I enjoy reading your trip reports BTW. Maybe we'll run into you down there one day.

Bud (the spelling? Well:lol:)

[Edited on 12-16-2005 by Bud]

David K - 12-16-2005 at 12:28 AM

Yah, memories of pre pavement Baja are great! When my folks and I went the length of the peninsula in '66, pavement ended about four miles north of Colonet and was washboard hell to San Quintin, then that changed to a jeep trail for hundreds of miles until Poza Grande (south of Comondu) where a washboard graded road ran a long ways until pavement began about 100 miles north of La Paz to 10 miles south... then dirt again to Cabo San Lucas!:o

Lurkers

mcgyver - 12-16-2005 at 10:05 AM

AS I have stated here and on other forums my opinion is that a lot of them are like me and have dylexisia and can not spell or say something controversal and then the SPELL CHECKERS and some select others that do not have anything else to do but stir up controversy attact them so some lurkers will not expose them selfs to this. Me I do not care , I know I can not spell but just don't give a damm.
If I can contribute to Baja information or help anyone I do so and when I post it is something I know something about or I don't post.
Lurking is OK though, I lurk on a lot of forums that I have very little expertise in strickly to learn about the subject.
Lets give the newbies a break until they show their colors.
A good example was "Germancus".

bugdude - 12-16-2005 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcgyver
If I can contribute to Baja information or help anyone I do so and when I post it is something I know something about or I don't post. Lurking is OK though. Lets give the newbies a break until they show their colors."

ABSOLUTELY! Point well made. Thanks.

Bud - 12-16-2005 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yah, memories of pre pavement Baja are great! When my folks and I went the length of the peninsula in '66, pavement ended about four miles north of Colonet and was washboard hell to San Quintin, then that changed to a jeep trail for hundreds of miles until Poza Grande (south of Comondu) where a washboard graded road ran a long ways until pavement began about 100 miles north of La Paz to 10 miles south... then dirt again to Cabo San Lucas!:o

Well, fortunately there's still plenty of dirt roads to explore the peninsula. And, you can jump onto the paved sections to get to the next area.
Last year we went from San Felipe to about 200 miles south of LA bay. All on dirt roads except for the pavement out to HWY 1 to get into LA bay. Any part that was paved was worse than any dirt road I've been on down there. haha! I think it'll be a very long time before they get place covered in pavement. as long as we can still get to the deserted beaches where you see nobody for days on end....it's ok with me.

I recently loaded Larry's Map of Baja up to my GPS and will be attempting to mark every dirt road in Baja to it in the future.

Bud:yes:

Bob H - 12-16-2005 at 11:19 AM

Bud, welcome aboard! You must have many stories if you've been going down to Baja since you were 10 years old. Keep'm comin'
Bob H

wilderone - 12-16-2005 at 11:21 AM

msawin: Could you give us a status report on Tripui? Is the hotel finished and accepting guests? If so, what are the rates? Are there any properties for sale? What do you think of the re-built structures? Is everyone doing the work themselves or hiring local help?

Bud - 12-16-2005 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Bud, welcome aboard! You must have many stories if you've been going down to Baja since you were 10 years old. Keep'm comin'
Bob H

Thanks for the welcome Bob. I've been reading this board for quite a while actually. I've found a lot of good info here in the past.

Bud;D

Bob H - 12-16-2005 at 01:24 PM

Bud, you're welcome. Another fantastic Baja message board is at this link...
http://math.ucr.edu/~ftm/bajaPages/MsgBoard/MsgBoard.html
Bob H:yes:

Bud - 12-16-2005 at 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Bud, you're welcome. Another fantastic Baja message board is at this link...
http://math.ucr.edu/~ftm/bajaPages/MsgBoard/MsgBoard.html
Bob H:yes:

Thanks Bob! That's one I've missed. I'll check it out.

Bud;D

Lurkers

bajabeachgirl - 12-16-2005 at 05:04 PM

OK...you got me!!!!

I sometimes just "browse" (like that word so much better)...but I guess maybe it's just being nosy if one doesn't present oneself so.....

I'll try to join in more often!

Bajame - 12-16-2005 at 05:37 PM

You spell checkers took the wind out of my sails when it comes to posting! :mad: though I have to admitt that it really makes me check my post, even then I screw up! :rolleyes: You can put a spell check on this forum to help these guys get over thier pain of having to deal with it. Perfectionist just take alot of pains to do something and then give it to everybody else! And theres alot of them on this board!

David K - 12-16-2005 at 05:53 PM

I hope it is understood that my ONLY intention on posting the correct spelling of PLACE NAMES is for education... and respect for the Mexican people. I am a terrible English speller (I think), so I wouldn't dream of criticizing anyone's English or dyslexia... But, the places we love in Baja (like Puertecitos, Alfonsina's, Guerrero Negro, Los Barriles, etc.) should be something we learn to spell correctly. Also, nobody here is perfect... don't swet the small stuff and just have fun!

Bud - 12-16-2005 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
I hope it is understood that my ONLY intention on posting the correct spelling of PLACE NAMES is for education... and respect for the Mexican people. I am a terrible English speller (I think), so I wouldn't dream of criticizing anyone's English or dyslexia... But, the places we love in Baja (like Puertecitos, Alfonsina's, Guerrero Negro, Los Barriles, etc.) should be something we learn to spell correctly. Also, nobody here is perfect... don't swet the small stuff and just have fun!

You mean sweat don't you David? :?:

Bud:spingrin:

David K - 12-16-2005 at 06:12 PM

Exactly! See what I mean... if I can mis-spell English words, then so can you and don't be embarassed!:D

Bud - 12-16-2005 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Exactly! See what I mean... if I can mis-spell English words, then so can you and don't be embarassed!:D

haha! Sorry David. I could not resist that one. Figured I'd better get my licks in now before you discover how bad I am at spelling. :spingrin:

Bud

A quick recap about spell checkers...

Mexray - 12-16-2005 at 06:40 PM

...we've touched on the subject several times here, and I use the 'iespell' checker that's FREE from:

http://www.iespell.com/

You can use it on any response you may be entering on any web page...you just 'right click' in the text area, select 'Check spelling' in your 'right click' menu, and you are up and running! It's so easy, and you can add the Mexican place names, etc., that you use from time-to-time...try it you'll like it!

DianaT - 12-16-2005 at 08:15 PM

I guess I am more of a lurker---I have asked a few questions, and I recently posted a travel report.

Sometimes, at least for me, it can seem a little intimidating and like being an intruder when there are a number of people who "chat" and "spar" on a regular basis.

Then again, I have had nice responses to questions, and nice comments about my trip report---so------

Love Baja
Diane

Diver - 12-16-2005 at 08:28 PM

Hey, great spelling Bajame !!

Weer ees Bruce anyhu ?

Bajame - 12-16-2005 at 11:20 PM

He's not in my closet!!!!!:wow:

I use iespell also

Keri - 12-17-2005 at 08:04 AM

got it here on the board . It works great. And with David k here on the board we have our own private Mexican spellchecker. Makes me happy, :yes:Ain't life grand,k:yes::bounce:

Socalz - 12-17-2005 at 08:09 AM

Registered here 2 1/2 years ago and before this one, I had 13 posts, so it's unlikely I'll acheive "Super Nomad" status anytime soon. Maybe Doug will grant me a "Super Lurker" tag. Also lurked at Amigos de Baja.

I've made several trips into Baja California as far as Loreto, but haven't made any trips in the last 4 years since I burn up my vacation time visiting my son. Just spent 2 weeks with him in Germany last Sept. Hopefully now that I purchased a 2000 Wrangler from a friend, I'll start making more trips into Baja. Looking forward into exploring the Gonzaga and BOLA areas with the Jeep.

[Edited on 12-17-2005 by Socalz]

I use iespell also. Great little tool

Keri - 12-17-2005 at 08:11 AM

Got it here on the board . It works great. And with David k here on the board we have our own private Mexican spellchecker. Makes me happy, :yes:Ain't life grand,k:yes::bounce:

Fatboy - 12-17-2005 at 08:39 PM

Quote:

I use iespell also. Great little tool

Well, if this is the before and after post, I would have to say you are pretty easy to please!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: