BajaNomad

Squid and Octopuses

Sallysouth - 12-18-2005 at 11:41 AM

Tonite on KCET at 8pm there is a travel documentary on these creatures and it features swimming with the beasts and an encounter with a Giant Humbolt Squid.:O

aha baja - 12-18-2005 at 12:33 PM

If you go to the KCET website, you can click on the video link about the program. Thanks for the heads-up !

Packoderm - 12-18-2005 at 02:41 PM

I was going to post that the plural for octopus is octopi. However, words don't taste so good; I try to not have to eat them, so I first checked it out on dictionary.com, and surprisingly, I found that octopuses and octopi are both correct.

Sallysouth - 12-19-2005 at 10:51 AM

Packoderm, Funny that you mention the spelling as I had to refer to the article I had read on this program in the middle of my post! I has just hoped that the article was correct so as not to offend any spell-checkers out there!:lol:

Sharksbaja - 12-19-2005 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
I was going to post that the plural for octopus is octopi. However, words don't taste so good; I try to not have to eat them, so I first checked it out on dictionary.com, and surprisingly, I found that octopuses and octopi are both correct.

except when you define them ie:

octopi: plural of families within the order Octopoda

octopuses: plural of species within family Octopodidae

;)

Sallysouth - 12-19-2005 at 03:21 PM

Very good Sharks! That is exactly what the show was all about,plural species within the family of Octopodidae!!:yes:

Packoderm - 12-19-2005 at 03:41 PM

Ha-ha:lol:

David K - 12-20-2005 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Packoderm, Funny that you mention the spelling as I had to refer to the article I had read on this program in the middle of my post! I has just hoped that the article was correct so as not to offend any spell-checkers out there!:lol:

That's okay, you didn't mis-spell Puertecitos or Guerrero Negro!:lol::lol::lol:

bugdude - 12-20-2005 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
except when you define them ie:

Since we are splitting grammatical hairs here I thought I would mention that the adverb "i.e." should be italicized as it is Latin for "id est" = that is.

Just in case you get that question next time you are on Jeopardy. Remember to phrase your answer in the form of a question. [A double negative???]

Apologies to the esteemed Forum; if I don't spew this useless information my head will explode.

Feliz Navidad

Sharksbaja - 12-20-2005 at 09:47 AM

OK, what is, "I ain't got no double negatives".:lol: Tupid Latin!