BajaNomad

Where to pull over?; Ensenada-San Quintin

Hook - 12-20-2005 at 12:09 PM

I just know that there have been others faced with this dilemma.

Your first Baja trip in a few months has you planning a trip to Santa Rosalia or beyond. But the days are short as it is in the fall/winter.

You're really too excited to wait until 4am the next morning and start driving. Besides, the truck and boat are packed and you could actually hit a taco stand somewhere for dinner. None of them will be open at 4am.

You want to get further than the Ensenada/Maneadero area.

You are reluctant to drive more than an hour or so past Maneadero in the dark.

You want to park somewhere that is off Hwy 1 enough that the truck noise wont be too bad.

You don't want to pay nuthin'.......just park and sleep until you start driving again around first light.

What locations have you Nomads found that satisfies these criteria? It must be south of Maneadero and north of San Quintin.

Bob and Susan - 12-20-2005 at 02:29 PM

I've tried the same thing...

South of Maneadero there are mountains and it's dangerous at night because of all the traffic.

Don't kill yourself...relax and enjoy the ride:P

tho' it won't be free, nor quiet

BajaVida - 12-20-2005 at 02:46 PM

try El Palomar in Santo Tomas

you can get a decent meal

but be sure to bring ear plugs, the night crowing roosters are louder than the jake brakes

you can even pull in under the olive trees

I never do it

Sharksbaja - 12-20-2005 at 02:51 PM

I made a vow many years ago to get at least as far as El Rosario. Had a couple bad experiences on the coast near Ensenada. Not only for safety but for a better start off point in the morning. Most of the slower driving is north of there also as u know.

thebajarunner - 12-20-2005 at 03:03 PM

We stay down in the campground at Palomar (Santo Tomas)
It is secure, they have clean restrooms, negotiate with them and it is only a couple of bucks.
The trucks are loud due to the topos above the campground.
Just take earplugs and it won't matter.
Also, the restaurant is clean, the cervezas are cold, the food is good and reasonable.
And, it is just less than an hour beyond Maneadero.
(we have tried to locate a better stop over point on this stretch, but this is the best we have found.... we generally roll in right at dark after 12 hours on the road from Central Cal. and it looks pretty good)

Ken Cooke - 12-20-2005 at 03:36 PM

If you drive south of El Rosario at night, be prepared for semi trucks driving too fast on hills w/o shoulders, and wildlife slamming into the side of your vehicle at speed. Yep, it happened to me at 5:15 p.m., and now I have a bent Jeep with a door that barely closes. :no::no::no:

comitan - 12-20-2005 at 03:41 PM

For free just go past Palomar into town park on the left side across from the Police station. Still use ear plugs, can walk back to Palomar for food,drinks.

Has anyone ever driven out the road to

Hook - 12-20-2005 at 03:54 PM

Ejido Uruapan or San Antonio Del Mar? Is it safe and how far would you have to drive to get away from road noise?

David K - 12-20-2005 at 03:57 PM

Hook, I have stayed at the El Palomar campground (Santo Tomas) several times... It is a 'popular' weekend escape for the local Ensenada crowd... The retaurant across the street is good... However, if you don't need the security of the campground or the convenience of the restaurant THEN the 'deserted' campground along the Santo Tomas river just might be the exact thing you seek! Refer to my Thanksgiving weekend trip report for details... The first site of Mision Santo Tomas is there... about 3 1/2 miles west of Mex. 1 on an easy graded road (the one signed for La Bocana, Puerto Santo Tomas at the bottom of the grade)... then take the left fork for the camping/ picnic area.

David K - 12-20-2005 at 04:02 PM

Here's the link to the other photos and driving details... http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=14276

I am at the remains of the mission and in the background is a deserted rec building for the campground... This was 3.9 miles from the highway... muy tranquilla

comitan - 12-20-2005 at 04:31 PM

Uruapan, is a very good place to stay they charge sometimes, I think on weekends. It is close to the highway but didn't notice the noise. It is beyond Palomar, don't know the distance but its on the left before the second grade past palomar. Prox 10-15 miles.

oladulce - 12-20-2005 at 04:50 PM

Is Uruapan the place full of olive trees and a sign with an arrow that says "fosa asfalto"?

If so, I've always thought that was a day use , picnic place. The trees are so thick I didn't realize you could over-night there. It's right in the zone where we've often already driven farther than we should have, and really shouldn't drive anymore.

David K - 12-20-2005 at 04:53 PM

Uruapan is BEFORE El Palomar/Santo Tomas (if you are driving south)!

It has a paved road and is a public hot spring... Generally popular on the weekends.

[Edited on 12-20-2005 by David K]

MAP

David K - 12-20-2005 at 05:12 PM

Uruapan is at Arrow 'A'

El Palomar Campground, Restaurant in Santo Tomas is at Arrow 'B'

The deserted campground and first mission site is at Arrow 'C'

TMW - 12-20-2005 at 06:58 PM

The turn off for Uruapan is near K42.

If you get as far as Colonet. There is an open field section on the left about 1/2 mile from the hwy down the road to San Antonio Del Mar. It's right after you climb up the small hill and level out. I've stayed there several times with out problems.

Yes, that's the camping area at Uruapan

Hook - 12-20-2005 at 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Is Uruapan the place full of olive trees and a sign with an arrow that says "fosa asfalto"?

If so, I've always thought that was a day use , picnic place. The trees are so thick I didn't realize you could over-night there. It's right in the zone where we've often already driven farther than we should have, and really shouldn't drive anymore.

and I have overnighted in there before. But it is too close to the road for my liking. Was wondering if there is any kind of open area down the road to Uruapan.....

That sounds really promising, TW!

Hook - 12-20-2005 at 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
The turn off for Uruapan is near K42.

If you get as far as Colonet. There is an open field section on the left about 1/2 mile from the hwy down the road to San Antonio Del Mar. It's right after you climb up the small hill and level out. I've stayed there several times with out problems.

Thanks for the tip.

Neal Johns - 12-21-2005 at 06:50 AM

Hook, I have stayed on the Uruapan road several times under trees about six miles east alongside a (sometimes) creek with no problems. Bedrock metates are on a large rock nearby.

we once looked for a place near Uruapan

BajaVida - 12-21-2005 at 08:58 AM

but it was pitch black and could find nothing

I would not suggest looking around in the dark as you may come up empty handed as we did

guess we did not drive far enough (see David K's post below)

[Edited on 12-21-2005 by BajaVida]

David K - 12-21-2005 at 09:04 AM

That campground 3.9 miles west of Hwy. 1 along the Santo Tomas river sure was nice looking... Do check it out...

soulpatch - 12-21-2005 at 11:44 AM

I've crashed for a few hours w/my family at the campground there at Uruapan and it's been fine. Talked w/a guy or two collecting cans and once someone cleaning up after a holiday weekend. Never had a problem w/anyone harrassing us. Even an hour of sleep can make all the difference in those early morning hours.
I should add that we live in San Diego and we usually leave between 2-3 in the morning so that stop works great for us for a little catnap and then some snacking and coffee. We will stop there on the way up, as well, just to stretch, change diapers(on the kids) and snack.

[Edited on 12-21-2005 by soulpatch]

oladulce - 12-21-2005 at 08:54 PM

Glad you clarified the diaper-thing soulpatch.