BajaNomad

Baja Ranchos

upip2gether - 12-30-2005 at 03:02 PM

Noticing many ranches indicated on the AAA's Baja map. Two questions: how accessible to a two wheel drive sedan are they, and how gringo friendly? And anything else that's useful to know.

I'm from a farm background and used to driving up to the house to ask if it's ok to pitch a tent for overnight, or ask if they're selling anything, etc. Anyway, that's the model I'm walking around with. I need a reality check.

Appreciate whatever help and advice anyone can give me.

up_ip_together@yahoo.com

bajajudy - 12-30-2005 at 03:45 PM

If you are polite, you will be welcomed just about anywhere down here. Take some gifts with you and you will be very welcomed. Used clothing, paper and pens, crayons, toys, you get the picture. JR always took bug spray, dont know why. Anything will be appreciated. Sounds like you know how to introduce yourself to people, so go for it. Dont expect them to be selling anything though. Anything they have they will give you and not want any money for it.
You will have a truly Baja experience if you are fortunate enough to meet any of the ranch people(campesinos)
Please let us know all about your trip
Buen Viaje

In addition

John M - 12-30-2005 at 03:51 PM

A few phrases in Spanish would be an asset.

In our experience the people living at a particular rancho may not actually recognize the name that is on the map. The name might have been in error originally. Going with your instincts work wonders.

John

bajajudy

Baja Bernie - 1-11-2006 at 05:54 PM

JR took bug stray for the mosquito's to reduce the chance of the rural people getting dunge fever--I know because I gave a case of Off on two different occasions. Best thing to give them since we used to use lard for gifts.