Bob and Susan - 1-7-2006 at 07:26 PM

Yes you do....

? = alt 164

Hold the Alt key down
then
type 164
then lift the Alt key up:biggrin:

bajalou - 1-7-2006 at 08:45 PM

For us using laptops, it's a bit more than that also.

[Edited on 1-8-2006 by bajalou]

Dave - 1-7-2006 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
I asked Magda if she knew the busiest day in Mexico.
She spent 10 minutes naming 50 or so holidays, simi-holidays, or excuses not to go to work.
When I gave her the correct answer she gave a half hearted faint laugh. No since of humor. I don'T think I am getting lucky tonight.

You could show her the "joyas de la familia".

That might work. :biggrin:

bajajudy - 1-8-2006 at 07:46 AM

You know senor A, I wondered after I posted that if it were PC. I certainly did not mean anything derogatory. Heck I live in the manana world now too!

If anyone is wondering why my n is still the same. 4 times I tried the alt 164 and everytime after I did that, no matter what I did afterwards, my post disappeared. Maybe my alt is stuck.:(

bajalou - 1-8-2006 at 09:37 AM

% 14st ran a test 6n 0y 3a-t6- Well, still had the number lock on - After searching for it - it's the Fn+scroll - I tried it and nothing apeared - then I hit "enter" and was taken to Google search. So guess you won't be seeing ~ over the "n" s from me.

:?::no:

Tucker - 1-8-2006 at 10:08 AM

Here is a list of Spanish characters with their alt numbers.
? 160 ? 168
? 130 ? 173
? 161 ? 166
? 162 ? 167
? 163 ? 164
? 144 ? 165

[Edited on 1-8-2006 by Tucker]

bajajudy - 1-8-2006 at 10:38 AM

Thanks. Lou
Good to know that I am not alone in this.

Senor A...
Yes I am using the number pad
No I do not have the lock on....should I?:?:

fdt - 1-8-2006 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tucker
Here is a list of Spanish characters with their alt numbers.
? 160 ? 168
? 130 ? 173
? 161 ? 166
? 162 ? 167
? 163 ? 164
? 144 ? 165

[Edited on 1-8-2006 by Tucker]

you forgot ? 155
? 171
?172
and ? 129 to spell g?era

bajalou - 1-8-2006 at 11:05 AM

Well - that's good, but not good enough to get me to give up my laptop for a desktop---

Bob and Susan - 1-8-2006 at 11:20 AM

Lou

Just buy a $10 keyboard

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Computer-Standard-PS-2-Keyboard_W0QQ...

[Edited on 1-8-2006 by Bob and Susan]

bajajudy - 1-8-2006 at 01:04 PM

?????
Lou:P

fdt - 1-8-2006 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
but I just did for the first time.

What is the busiest day in Mexico?

Manana

Actualy, we changed it to day after ma?ana :lol:

vandenberg - 1-8-2006 at 02:05 PM

Folks, thanks for the info about the doohickey over the n in ma?ana, Anybody know the secret of the umlaut or double dot over a u in german ??:O:O

vandenberg - 1-8-2006 at 02:06 PM

And Judy, sorry about my lawyer joke ending up on your thread:?::?::?:

Oso - 1-8-2006 at 02:15 PM

It's called a di?resis in Spanish, as in "ese g?ey de Braulio".:lol:

But I don't bother with formulas for individual symbols. I just plug in a Spanish keyboard and toggle back and forth by clicking on the little En and ES icons. You can probably do the same thing with German. Just go to Start/Control Panel/Language to install.

bajajudy - 1-8-2006 at 02:25 PM

Vande
No worrys
I love a good liar joke!

bajalou - 1-8-2006 at 03:50 PM

Guess I now need to find the layoutfor the ES keyboard to know the keys for the n etc. any suggestions for me on this Oso_

bajajudy - 1-8-2006 at 03:54 PM

Lou
I just noticed your signature...me too.
no TV....free at last:tumble::spingrin::tumble::spingrin::tumble::spingrin::tumble::spingrin:

Oso - 1-8-2006 at 06:09 PM

I have a set of decals on the corresponding keys. ? and ? are to the right of L on the same key as the colon and semi-colon. Your "umlaut" and accent are to the right of P where the { and [ are found. The upside down exclamation and question marks are on the top far right + and = key. You can order the decals online. I forget exactly where I bought them but I'd bet they are available for several languages and you can probably find what you want by googling around. This is probably not very necessary for someone who only occasionally needs to be sure that that a?o and ano don't get confused, but as maybe 98% of my "clients" are monolingual Spanish speakers, I do a lot of stuff in Spanish. Switching to a Spanish keyboard makes lengthy texts a lot easier than dealing with that Alt-Ctrl bidness. And yes, I ain't perfect and still screw up now and then.

BTW, I once asked an Irish friend about the equivalent of "Ma?ana" in Gaelic. "Ah my amigo," he replied, " I'm afraid we have no word to express such a sense of urgency."

bajalou - 1-8-2006 at 06:17 PM

Thanks Oso, and it is quite urgent isn't it.

???????'?? '??????x?x? g

Well that{s a start ' see still in ES mode Ok got it on the accent

Thanks

?But tomorrow?

turtleandtoad - 1-8-2006 at 06:22 PM

Here's a couple of links that might help.

Keyboard Maps

Keyboard Stickers

Like Oso, I have my keyboard set up to toggle between EN(english) and ES(spanish). But not because I'm fluent in either; I'm just trying to learn both. :lol:

Oso

Al G - 1-8-2006 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
I have a set of decals on the corresponding keys. ? and ? are to the right of L on the same key as the colon and semi-colon. Your "umlaut" and accent are to the right of P where the { and [ are found. The upside down exclamation and question marks are on the top far right + and = key. You can order the decals online. I forget exactly where I bought them but I'd bet they are available for several languages and you can probably find what you want by googling around. This is probably not very necessary for someone who only occasionally needs to be sure that that a?o and ano don't get confused, but as maybe 98% of my "clients" are monolingual Spanish speakers, I do a lot of stuff in Spanish. Switching to a Spanish keyboard makes lengthy texts a lot easier than dealing with that Alt-Ctrl bidness. And yes, I ain't perfect and still screw up now and then.

BTW, I once asked an Irish friend about the equivalent of "Ma?ana" in Gaelic. "Ah my amigo," he replied, " I'm afraid we have no word to express such a sense of urgency."

Thanks, I have learned a lot and taped the alt keys to my keyboard. Now I have to learn more Spanish before using them, but I will start ma?ana.

[Edited on 1-9-2006 by Al G]

Oso - 1-8-2006 at 08:21 PM

BTW, if I didn't mention before, the accent and di?resis operate on the "dead key" principal - you hit the accent first- nothing happens- then you hit the vowel you want and it appears with the accent over it.

bajalou - 1-8-2006 at 08:32 PM

Thanks Oso, I expermented and found that out.

I appreciate the coaching