BajaNomad

FMTs at Tijuana Border Crossings ?

MrBillM - 1-12-2006 at 10:10 AM

A close friend of mine is planning to take his family down to Guerrero Negro, etc to watch Whales. Not having done so in many years, he asked me about getting FMTs at either of the Tijuana crossings, specifically the time and difficulty involved, including hours of operation, etc.

The only FMT I ever purchased was in San Felipe to acquire my FM3 so I have no experience in this regard, are there respondents out there who can speak to the process at those two locations ?

How about Tecate ? Since my buddy lives in Hemet, crossing at Tecate would not be that much of a problem ?

oladulce - 1-12-2006 at 11:19 AM

The difficulty with Tecate is the parking- there isn't any designated for the Migraci?n office. There are 2 spaces at the border booth that the inspectors use if you get a "red light", but I don't know if you can park there to run in to office for a FMT card.

We are always towing something and don't fit in those parking spaces anyway so we park on the US side in the temporary parking, walk across to the office and bank and walk back across to the US side. This process may be a little overwhelming for someone not familiar.

San Ysidro is very easy. Stay to the far right and follow the "Declare" signs. Park in the lot and the Migraci?n office and Bank are right there. I believe the office is always open, but I don't know if the bank booth has specific hours for them to pay for the cards?

Bob and Susan - 1-12-2006 at 11:33 AM

both open 24-7...

you could also get your cards in Guerrero Negro at the pest spray location

Bruce R Leech - 1-12-2006 at 12:03 PM

Guerrero Negro has been closed the last 4 times I passed.