BajaNomad

Mission de Guadalupe road to San Juan de las Pilas

bajabrit - 1-13-2006 at 06:00 PM

Does anyone know if you can get from Mision de Guadalupe to San Juan de las Pilas and thence to San Ignacio

Ta

David K - 1-13-2006 at 06:27 PM

The Baja Almanac shows it and 'Backroad Baja' c1996 has a roadlog for it... Passes Patrocino 19 miles west from San Juan de las Pilas and continues to the Baja 1000 road between San Ignacio and San Juanico (Scorpion Bay).

Hopefully someone who has driven it will respond here...

KurtG - 1-13-2006 at 07:25 PM

I posted a reply and it didn't show up so here goes again. I've been through there 3 times. Twice by 4wd and once by motorcycle. It is a rugged and beautiful trip, the road is extremely steep in places and quite rugged. It is sometimes closed by landslides. This route is Trip 10 in "Backroad Baja" by Tom and Patty Higginbotham. Rancho San Pedro and San Juan de la Pila are both very interesting places with very nice people. San Pedro dates back to mission days, it was a support ranch for Mission Guadalupe. San Juan de la Pila is lovely with a good water supply for its gardens, it has a flume carrying a constant flow of water through the ranch kitchen. Don't underestimate this road, extra spare tires would be a good idea.

Neal Johns - 1-13-2006 at 10:03 PM

I too, have been over it three times in 4wd's. The isolated ranchos are populated by exceptionally friendly people. Take them a little something. Arroyo/Canyon San Pedro is spectacular! Thanks, Tom and Patty, for my favorite trip. Be sure and stop by Rancho El Mesquite near the Mission, the Villavicencio's are the friendliest of the friendly.