BajaNomad

what size dish for los barailes this winter?

bad Kitty - 1-17-2006 at 10:35 PM

i am wondering if anyone can advise what is goignto be adequate dish size to receive bell xpress vu ,does it receive at all this year ?how about direct tv is reception okthere now ,and if so what size dish do I need?

I am finding all this very conflicting info re:that reception etc has changed for the worse in the last few months.

thanks everybody!

capt. mike - 1-18-2006 at 05:32 AM

2 meters

Pompano - 1-18-2006 at 06:24 AM

bad kitty...

Our input here is minimal to your situation, as we are quite a few air miles north of Los Barriles. We are in la Bahia de Concepcion south of Mulege. But some info is better than none...especially for something as momentous as watching Al Gore on CNN. (Tums, anyone?)

We are just now back to our Baja home, but after being informed that Direct TV reception had worsened for our area, we find we still get normal reception on our one-meter dish. How long it stays that way only the satellite programmers know. I am sure a larger diameter dish would greatly enhance your signal strength.

Some other options for you would be Sky, Dish, or Starchoice. Good luck.

TV Down South

losfrailes - 1-18-2006 at 08:26 AM

I have friends at Cabo Pulmo who are enjoying (??) limited DirecTV with a 1 meter dish. DirecTV recently did a realignment in the way they transmit signal and it had a limiting effect on what could be received.

I also just installed a Dish Network system near Santa Rosalia using a 1 meter dish and aiming it to one of the satellites associated with that system. It is working fine.

I personally am using a 1.2 meter dish modified to hold two receiving devices (LNB's) and have full service with Dish Network.

Hope this does not further confuse you.

bad Kitty - 1-18-2006 at 08:26 AM

thanks Pompano!

Bell ExpressVu

jack - 1-18-2006 at 04:15 PM

Two years ago my Dad had a place in La Capilla which is just a little south of Los Barrilles. He was using a 1 meter dish for Bell ExpressVu. This dish was a little small as he could pick up most of his subscribed channels, but not all. He was happy that he could receive all Canadian news channels. A 2 foot dish didn't work at all.

Bob and Susan - 1-19-2006 at 05:32 AM

if the dish picks up some stations but not alll....

why would a larger one work better...they BOTH are pointed at the same satellite?????:?:

Does the signal spread as it comes down and the GOOD stations are on the fringe??

capt. mike - 1-19-2006 at 06:39 AM

Bob....the BEST stations are on the lunatic fringe!!!:bounce:

hey, i just got my 1 meter DTV dish in mulege and it is to be installed in feb when i go back sur. If i can't get it dialed in Los Frailes to the rescue!!

ah.....news and movies while i am at mi paraiso en mulege....can't wait.

Salsa - 1-19-2006 at 09:51 AM

Bob and Susan

There are many transponders on the satellite. They come in with different signal strengths.

Don

Bob and Susan - 1-19-2006 at 11:00 AM

then why can't you just get a bigger more powerful middle pointer??

(the thing that points to the middle of the dish)

Salsa - 1-19-2006 at 04:52 PM

The middle finger pointer only captures what the dish reflects. It takes a bigger dish to capture more energy.

Don

turtleandtoad - 1-19-2006 at 06:03 PM

Baja is actually outside of the intended service area (footprint) for most satellite TV companies. The signal you get down there is just spill-over from the transmitters so you have to use a bigger dish to capture the signal as it is very weak.

The new technology used in the new DirectTV bird has a lot less spill-over; thats why you can only get half the channels (the ones they haven't moved to the new bird).