BajaNomad

Cell Phone Rental

Diver - 1-18-2006 at 06:29 AM

I'm in Phoenix today, heading to Yuma and Tecate tomorrow to cross and head south.

Where can I rent a cell phone for baja sur ??

Bruce R Leech - 1-18-2006 at 07:32 AM

why rent one when you can get one free with the purchase of 400 pesos of time.

Diver - 1-18-2006 at 07:41 AM

Thanks Bruce and Hose,

Sounds like the telcel purchase is the way to go.
Can I get one in the states ? Phoenix/Yuma or do I need to stop on the way down. I'd love to avoid stopping in Ensenada, if possible.

Pompano - 1-18-2006 at 07:47 AM

Morning Bruce, Hose A, and Diver....

Bruce, I will be stopping by today to see about picking one of those up in Mulege. Who can I get one from? Gracias...

Diver - 1-18-2006 at 07:53 AM

Bruce, Pompano and others;

Beware of a tall, gray-bearded gringo with kids and dogs heading your way !! See you soon in Mulege !!

Thanks again Hose !!

Pompano - 1-18-2006 at 07:55 AM

Diver...will have beer cold and tacos hot...come on ahead.

djh - 1-18-2006 at 08:31 AM

Great! Is the time credit good for as long as you need, or does it expire after XX time?

Where do I get one in Loreto?

Man, I appreciate this board and all the good info on it!

djh

bajalou - 1-18-2006 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
Bruce what are doing up this early?

He's in a different time zone than us, so he should be up by now.

turtleandtoad - 1-18-2006 at 09:55 AM

Diver,

You can pick one up in Tecate. There are a couple of stores around the square that sell them. Don't remember which ones but do remember the signs.

When I'm crossing at Tecate, I usually park on the U.S. side (there isn't any place to park a big rig on the Mexico side) and walk across to take care of the paperwork, pick up some peso's, have lunch and sit at the square and people-watch. It's a great way to decompress and get back on Baja time.

does anyone know if...

eetdrt88 - 1-18-2006 at 10:03 AM

you can call out or be called by someone in the states on these phones??

turtleandtoad - 1-18-2006 at 10:23 AM

What about the "per minute" rate for US calls?

elizabeth - 1-18-2006 at 11:43 AM

Given per minute calls on your rented telcel with calling card, does it work out to be significantly less than just using your US phone?
Do you keep your own number, or do they assign you a new one (I would expect). How would anyone know your number in that case? You'd have to call everyone that you wanted to communicate with so they'd have the number.
I have a cingular contract that activates my phone for Mexico for 3.98 a month (I just keep it activated whether I'm there or not) and I pay .79 per minute. If it's going to be a long call, I just tell them to wait for a call back, go to a public phone and use a prepaid calling card.
Works anywhere there is a telcel network.

elizabeth - 1-18-2006 at 03:37 PM

Sorry for posting a question that I did not know had been answered many times in the past, and for not knowing that was some sort of breach of etiquette. I guess I missed the cost comparison. Sorry, I'll try not to do it again...I'll look for the answer elsewhere.