BajaNomad

ensanada to tecate via hwy 3

gwh - 10-31-2003 at 10:01 AM

when returning to the u.s. from baja, to go to yuma , is it worth it to take hwy 3 from ensanada to tecate and cross the border there? Is hwy 3 a good road? will it accomodate a reasonable size 5'er?
I have heard tecate is not as busy a crossing as tj so the line up may not be as long. what are the pros and cons of taking this rout??:?::

Bob H - 10-31-2003 at 10:57 AM

The road to Tecate from Ensenada is an excellent drive. And, if you are going to Yuma, I would recommend it. We cross at Tecate almost every time we return from Ensenada and we live in San Diego. Go for it and let us know how much the fire damaged the Guadalupe Canyon area. Bob H

Bob H - 10-31-2003 at 02:46 PM

A lot of us would also be interested in knowing if any fire damage was done to the San Antonio de las Minas area.
Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.
Bob H :?:

gwh - 10-31-2003 at 05:43 PM

thanks for the replies everyone, I unfortunately won't be much help on reporting on the fire damage . I'm not going down til Jan /04
How about going south into baja? Is it an easy crossing at tecate as well going that way. I'd just as soon not go over to san diego and tj, I'm not really one for big traffic and all that goes with it. I just find it a big pain in the derriere.

Crossing south at Tecate

Phil S - 10-31-2003 at 10:25 PM

Used to use TJ for crossings, north& south. Then wised up to EZ crossings at Tecate. When going south, just be sure to stop at ALL the stop signs, and you won't have any problems with the policia's. Have a safe trip. Enjoy your stay!!!!!!

Mexicali

gilmarlin - 11-1-2003 at 10:33 AM

From Yuma why not enter Mexico at Calexico and go to Ensenada or go south to Gonzaga and pick up Hwy 1?

Tecate all the way

BajaVida - 11-3-2003 at 06:29 AM

Coming from N. Cal we always return via Tecate, but go down via Tijuana.

But do not go via Mexicali to Gonzaga to Hwy 1 unless you want to go really slow and/or tear up your trailer.

You are much better off going via Tecate.

David K - 11-3-2003 at 08:06 AM

While Highway 2 from Mexicali to Tecate is mostly an excellent 4 lane highway, it is a toll road and the 2 toll gates together will cost you about $10 (as you are towing).

Also, the cross town Mexicali traffic and streets will not be easy for you getting across town, specially with your big rig.

As for going south from Mexicali through Gonzaga to reach Highway One... NO, not towing a Fifth Wheel trailer. It is a beautiful, scenic drive... But in an SUV or pickup (2WD okay).

Go I-8 east, then take the road to Campo and on to Tecate.

Returning north, after crossing the train tracks in Tecate, Mexico... turn right on the wide boulavard going east, to the trffic circle, go 3/4 way around the circle and come into Tecate from the east side, to get into the border crossing line (turn right at first signal, then uphill past medical clinic).

Fifth Wheeler

gilmarlin - 11-5-2003 at 08:36 AM

I missed the 5th wheeler part. Stay on the highway.

Bajabus - 11-5-2003 at 08:47 AM

not to be a spoil sport but on the USA side is not 94 from portero to I-8 lenght restricted. I used to do it in a 30ft bus but much bigger than that is a little hairy no?

Also the portero state campground is an excellent camp spot to rest and spend the night. Nice hot showers, clean place.