BajaNomad

Another traffic ticket

Don Alley - 1-25-2006 at 09:57 AM

Ciudad Constitution...they got me again.

Normally I'm a pretty careful driver, and rarely get tickets. Until last year my last ticket was for running a stop sign in Missoula, Montana in 1993, while riding my bicycle.

But Constitution is tough. In a league with Missoula. I got busted for speeding on my way out of town a few months ago, poking along in the right lane (of four) with everyone blowing past me, except the policia who pulled me over. He took my license, said I had to return the next day to get it back. No way, we paid him off for 200 MN.

This time, I made an illegal left turn. Two ladies with Policia caps blew whistles at us and we pulled over. They explained that at the light, you could not make a left on a green light, unless it was a green arrow (which didn't seem to be working). When we suggested maybe there could be a "left turn on arrow only" sign they suggested that my front license plate could have a sticker that said "2006," not "2004." But I showed them my rear plate with a "PERM" sticker so that was OK. Imagine driving in Baja without current plates, lol!

So, they had my license. I was going to the police dept to pay the fine. But how would my license get there? And when? So we ALL piled onto the single bench seat, my wife, myself and the two police ladies and went to pay the ticket.

They waived the seat belt rule for the trip over. :)

Cost: 150 pesos. Cool, a 50 pesos no-mordida discount!

But I don't know, if can't figure out how to drive there without getting tickets, I may not shop there anymore. :lol:

Tucker - 1-25-2006 at 11:00 AM

They don't advertise it, but in C.C. where the highway has frontage roads it is illegal to make left turns off the highway. to turn left, turn right onto the frontage, proceed to the next cross-street, turn left, or right, to assume a position perpendicular to the highway, proceed across the carretara when safe. Or drive on through town.

Here Too!

mcgyver - 1-25-2006 at 11:34 AM

Same rule or law is in effect on Mex 2 between Mexicalli and San luis Rio Colorado when turning on to BCN 6 N to Algodones, I have been told by those who should know that it applies in a lot of places if they do not have a clear left turn lane marked or a green arrow.

Those Pesky Stop Signs.................

MrBillM - 1-25-2006 at 11:40 AM

............have always been my bane. When I was a youth, I collected many, many tickets for "California" stops, once on two different occasions on the same day. As I've grown older, I've gotten better, but not perfect. I've also gotten better at picking out law enforcement before they catch me, especially in Baja.

Speaking of citations, I broke my twelve year streak of no violations earlier this month. Unfortunately, it was up in the Estados Unidos where you can't pay and go. Fortunately, it was only for not having my seatbelt on, which is another of my common traits. Usually, though, I have it drapped over my shoulder so that it "Appears" connected.

Whether you pay on the spot or actually go to the station, the Mexican system is a whole lot better (and cheaper) than the U.S. system.

DanO - 1-25-2006 at 11:54 AM

One good accident involving aerial manuevers was all it took to make me a lifelong seatbelt user. As for stop signs, you can't beat the ticket my wife got in Ensenada last summer. She ran the stop sign in front of the police station on the north side of town. Easy money.

vandenberg - 1-25-2006 at 12:07 PM

Hose,
Coming to a complete stop at an alto sign here,is asking to get rear ended. My Mexican friends have always told me that they are only suggestions.
And Tucker,"almost" all intersections on the center road in C.C. have no left turn signs. Not that this makes any difference to the natives.:lol::lol::lol:

Al G - 1-25-2006 at 07:11 PM

"A woman carrying a baby ignored the red light and was crossing against the light when a woman driving a car ran the red light from the direction she was approaching and hit the woman carrying the baby.

I am sure if the car involved had been made and sold in Mexico this would never have happened. Stupidity and total disregard of traffic laws and common since had nothing to do it. "
Say What"?????????
Must have gotten of the bus to soon:?:

[Edited on 1-26-2006 by Al G]

Dave - 1-25-2006 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
A woman carrying a baby ignored the red light and was crossing against the light when a woman driving a car ran the red light from the direction she was approaching and hit the woman carrying the baby.

I was going to ask how it was possible that opposing lights both be red, but then I remembered where we live and immediately slapped myself.

Joanne and I have an ongoing bet. Everytime I use Mexico and logical in the same sentence I have to give her a dollar. ;D

Marinero - 1-26-2006 at 09:14 AM

A couple of years ago i turned up a narrow street in Todos Santos. After a few yards, I noticed all parked cars were facing me. About to turn around, I saw a man up the hill a bit waiving me up and moving a barrier. He was a cop. The barrier was the entrance to the Police Station. They took me inside with about 6 cops, explained my serious infraction and asked for 200 pesos. I was trying my best to reduce the fine when a gentleman in kahkis, white shirt and scrambled egg hat came in. El Jefe himself. The desk sergeant told him he was collecting a 200 peso fine. No, No, El Jefe said, 300 pesos. I decided to cut my losses and pay. When I gave him the money, he folded it, put it in him pocket and tore up the sheet the sergeant had filled out. Then he offered me a "High-Five".......:rolleyes:

turtleandtoad - 1-26-2006 at 09:38 AM

Embarressing moment:

Getting accused of bringing "junkers" to Mexico to sell to the locals when you're driving the family car. :O:O

Don Alley - 1-26-2006 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinero
A couple of years ago i turned up a narrow street in Todos Santos. After a few yards, I noticed all parked cars were facing me. About to turn around, I saw a man up the hill a bit waiving me up and moving a barrier. He was a cop. The barrier was the entrance to the Police Station. They took me inside with about 6 cops, explained my serious infraction and asked for 200 pesos. I was trying my best to reduce the fine when a gentleman in kahkis, white shirt and scrambled egg hat came in. El Jefe himself. The desk sergeant told him he was collecting a 200 peso fine. No, No, El Jefe said, 300 pesos. I decided to cut my losses and pay. When I gave him the money, he folded it, put it in him pocket and tore up the sheet the sergeant had filled out. Then he offered me a "High-Five".......:rolleyes:

I think I've driven the wrong way on most of Loreto's one way streets. Although some now have signs.

When caught, I'm just informed what I'm supposed to do, not ticketed and fined.

The authorities in Loreto seem to have figured out that I live here and sooner or later Loreto is going to get all my money anyway. :lol:

Wrong Way

MrBillM - 1-26-2006 at 11:15 AM

Many years back, driving through Mexicali I ran into construction congestion on Lopez Mateos and turned left at the next intersection to avoid it. The first thing I noticed was the people waving their arms at me. The next thing I noticed was all of the traffic coming towards me. After a lot of horn honking and angry gestures from those drivers, I was able to turn off with no misfortune. Puzzled as to how I could have missed the One Way signage, I drove back and came around again to find there was NO signage of any kind indicating a one-way street. It turned out to be a good lesson that I've heeded over the years.

bajajudy - 1-26-2006 at 11:22 AM

I posted this a long time ago but the carretera between San Jose and San Lucas has the same rules. You must be in the lateral to make a left turn not from the 4 lane.

SIGNS

osoflojo - 1-27-2006 at 12:36 PM

CSL recently changed all of its one ways streets to the opposite way. Very little signage remains in place very long if at all. It helps to be clarivoiant, but paying attention is manditory.

DianaT - 1-29-2006 at 09:30 AM

We were pulled over in Tecate a few years back for running a stop sign and not stopping when a policeman on foot blew his whistle. However, instead of giving us a ticket, the officer explained to us how we missed seeing both things because of a big truck in the right lane.

He then told us to be more careful next time and told us to have a good vacation.

Diane

[Edited on 1-29-2006 by jdtrotter]

rob - 1-30-2006 at 03:15 PM

I'm really interested in that "PERM" sticker . . . I have that on my Californian trailer, but I didn't know you could get it on a car!

When I think of the time I waste on yearly vehicle renewals . . . (not to mention the $50 every two years to prove to Wash DMV that my to-be -smogged vehicle is actually in La Paz ).

vandenberg - 1-30-2006 at 04:35 PM

" PERM " sticker ???

Enlighten me:(:(:(:light::light::light:

elgatoloco - 1-30-2006 at 05:21 PM

I got a ticket in 2004 for going wrong way in La Paz. Cost was $11.06 US.

Dave - 1-30-2006 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
" PERM " sticker ???

Over sixty gringas on board.

Don Alley - 2-1-2006 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
" PERM " sticker ???

If your Montana registered vehicle is over 12 years old, for a one time fee of just over $100 you can get a permanent registration...no need to register the car again, ever.

You get a sticker on the plate that says "PERM"

Before that, my truck, even though I bought it (used) in July, had a renewal date in December that could not be changed. Nor would they let me register earlier. Only in December. Getting a car registration renewed in December, when I live down here, was a pain in the neck.

[Edited on 2-1-2006 by Don Alley]

turtleandtoad - 2-1-2006 at 10:23 AM

Registering in December in Montana! :o

If they won't let you do it by mail, that meets the definition of "Cruel and Unusual Punishment". Is this some kind of test that you have to pass to be a "Montanan":?::?:

But seriously, if you live in Baja, why not just register it in Mexico :?:

specific steps to register vehicle in Baja

Dianamo - 2-1-2006 at 10:46 AM

Would someone please define the steps you must take to register in Mexico. It's confusing to the blonde:spingrin::lol::lol::lol::P

DianaMo

Don Alley - 2-1-2006 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by turtleandtoad
Registering in December in Montana! :o

If they won't let you do it by mail, that meets the definition of "Cruel and Unusual Punishment". Is this some kind of test that you have to pass to be a "Montanan":?::?:

But seriously, if you live in Baja, why not just register it in Mexico :?:

'Cause now I don't have to register it at all. Ever.

turtleandtoad - 2-1-2006 at 03:59 PM

Oh, I get it, it's now 12 years old or older. So you just have to make (or have already made) that last trip.

My WA registration is done by mail. I do have to go back every 7 years to get a new drivers license. But that is always in July.

In WA registration for anything that is street legal is $36 so I'll keep my WA registration.

[Edited on 2-1-2006 by turtleandtoad]

Don't be speeding out there...

Mexray - 2-5-2006 at 05:59 PM

http://www.tonterias.com/tonteria.php?id_tonteria=3977&f...

Watch out for the radar traps south of GN...

Mexray - 2-5-2006 at 06:12 PM

http://www.tonterias.com/tonteria.php?id_tonteria=3223&f...