BajaNomad

Alex and Erica

Skeet/Loreto - 11-1-2003 at 07:19 PM

On a clear cool day on the beautifull Bay Of Loreto I gathered my cuttings from the Coco Palms and slowy crawled toward the smoky garabge Dump above Loreto.

It was just as light was beginning to form over Carmen Island,birds diving,bait jumping, the resident Sea Eagle looking for a meal.As my old green truck crested the rise into the dump I saw two small figures bent over going through piles of garbage stacked in array.They were both dressed in thin clothing with no jacket,barefeet carrying a small sack where they would deposit a stray can which had been missed from the owners resturant.shop, or home.I stoped my truck,shut off the lights and in the cool grey morning watch the two figures going through the garbage.
Finally they both looked up, smiled and went back to their work.
I approached the young boy of about 11 years and ask him "How are you doing"? He arose from his digging and with a wide grin said "It is a fine morning.we have found many cans". Alex! I then walked over to a slender .Green eyed child of about 9 years of age. She stood tall and straight with a smile to melt your heart.
Ericka!
After a short discussion I invited them for a ride to their home in MiraMar.They informed me that every day after school they came to the dump to pick up the cans so that their family would be able to have Propane to cook with.This day was on Saturday so they would go early and get more cans.
Over the past years I have become close to these children I have never heard a word of complaining from their mouths. They are happy in their place.
Always a place in my heart and mind for Alex and Erick.God loves little children. Skeet/Loreto

Minnow - 11-1-2003 at 09:17 PM

Bless you skeet. I needed that!

elgatoloco - 11-1-2003 at 09:29 PM

Skeet, you are a lucky man!

Skeet

Mike Humfreville - 11-1-2003 at 10:09 PM

When we first met you at the book signing at Keri's you said you wanted to write but couldn't get your words to fall into order. Well, they just did and you alone did it.

In my world of technical writing I have observed two writing styles. One writes in an environment where everyone wants the t's crossed and i's dotted but doesn't care about the information imparted. That is not for you, amigo.

The other world doesn't care about the perfection of the piece from a spelling or technical standpoint. The readers of this type are just pleased to read what you write because it moves them. This is you. It comes from the heart and a reader can sense that.

I know as much time as you've lived in Loreto you have many more stories and encourage you to share them with us. I also would suggest you start a collection, either hardcopy or electronic copy, of all your work for posterity.

Thank you for sharing.

Mike

Thanks Skeeter......

Debra - 11-1-2003 at 10:24 PM

Your story brings us back to focus on what is important. The heart.

Gracias Skeet

Natalie Ann - 11-2-2003 at 05:30 PM

You've touched my heart with two sweet stories today.