BajaNomad

Turtle Conference in Loreto

bajajudy - 1-29-2006 at 08:12 PM

Today was the last day of the Grupo Tortuguero meeting in Loreto and more people than last year attended. Most of the local community groups are reporting increases in the numbers of turtles.
Met Sharkey.

Capt. George - 1-29-2006 at 08:33 PM

Wonder if they'll be as successful as the groups that are stopping the illegal netting all over Baja.......Wadda joke...

I've watched an estuary (a nursery) raped with gill nets....stretched across every outflow..The by-catch, or more appropriately the "by-kill" was nothing shy of horrendous..a zone supposedly world wide protected. And they plan on doing it again this year......

Turtles are fair game too.................<:)>>><

gringorio - 1-29-2006 at 11:08 PM

Hola Baja Judy,

Glad to hear news that sound promising. Are the increases that were reported just from last year or are there longer-term trends?

How were the artisanal fishermen represented at the meeting? What is their view?

Capt. George,

What estuary are you talking about?

gringorio

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Today was the last day of the Grupo Tortuguero meeting in Loreto and more people than last year attended. Most of the local community groups are reporting increases in the numbers of turtles.
Met Sharkey.

Capt. George - 1-30-2006 at 06:55 AM

Estero Coyote

wilderone - 1-30-2006 at 10:18 AM

What were the topics of discussion? Who's doing what? Any new action in the future? Education efforts? Results of past efforts reported?????

website

gringorio - 1-30-2006 at 12:12 PM

Check out their websiet: http://www.grupotortuguero.org/

Here's from last year:

http://www.grupotortuguero.org/content/1/2/3.html

Hopefully they'll have some updates from 2006 posted soon.

gringorio :bounce:

What's on the menu?

The Gull - 1-30-2006 at 02:04 PM

capt. mike - 1-30-2006 at 04:19 PM

Greg, any plans offing to re start your solo kayak tour down the peninsula?

gringorio - 1-30-2006 at 06:01 PM

hey Mike

I'm working on arranging a block of time in May to do another leg - Gonzaga to BLA, but this time I may have company. I'm taking the 'baby steps' philosophy now... :lol:

gringorio

bajajudy - 2-5-2006 at 07:54 AM

The conference consists of various groups giving reports and encouraging discussion of their efforts to help the turtles. There were people from all over Mexico there, not just Baja. I think that it is truly a grassroots effort. Many of the participants are fishermen who used to trap turtles in their nets and eat them.

I assume that the increase in numbers is in relation to last year.

One more note. The food is excellent. It is included in your registration and Mexico Lindo does all the catering. They do a fabulous job.

Some of the Pro-peninsula people had a meeting with the Loreto Bay people to discuss their project. Dont know the results. I believe that one topic of conversation was the de sal plant which would really mess up the water and sealife in that area. It is not an impact free solution to the water problem.

Anyway, I highly recommend to anyone in Loreto next year, when this conference is held, to attend.

Skeet/Loreto - 2-5-2006 at 08:11 AM

Thanks Judy for a good report and Post;

I was in the Sea of cortez when the Turtles were plentiful. I watched as they diminished.
I was on the pacific and saw Boatloads come in. I am proud of the Loreto fisherman that I know who stopped taking Turtles for Food.

I wish the project Well.

Skeet

Capt. George - 2-5-2006 at 12:38 PM

Skeet, where you been hidin? How Virginia and her horses, Todd??etc.

Deborah might be able to get a horse in Florida...5 acre parcel if I can swing it, lakefront....lots "hawgs"....

adios amigo George

Skeet/Loreto - 2-5-2006 at 01:15 PM

George: Not much going on in the General discusson Group.
Been down in the Off-Topic trying to teach some of those Liberals how to ride a Motorcycle Nekid.

Skeet

Capt. George - 2-5-2006 at 05:40 PM

Good Man!

George