BajaNomad

How Old Are You?

Ken Bondy - 11-1-2003 at 10:46 PM

I might not want to know the results of this poll, but knowledge is power, or so they say.

Why is it they never have the right box for me?

Stephanie Jackter - 11-1-2003 at 11:13 PM

Until you have a box for "older than Jesus"and one for "younger than Ken Bondy's dog", I cannot commit. - Stephanie

jimmy smith - 11-2-2003 at 01:17 PM

Wasn't that Guy Jesus a carpenter from San Bartolo or Nazarith? Yeah I knew him!

how old are you?

Baja Bernie - 11-2-2003 at 04:18 PM

Old enough to carry Don Jimmy's water.

Well Ken

Debra - 11-2-2003 at 07:10 PM

Looks like (so far) I was right, and I was wrong.

I was wrong because I thought you were much younger than you are (I'm with Steph. )

And right about thinking most on this board were of the 50 plus range.

I would like to add why I think that is the case (others, please chime in on your opinon)

First, to spend time in Baja (not the border and not the fly in CSL folks) takes time.....Most younger people can't get that kind of time off of work.

Second (and I don't mean this in a negitive way) IMHO, us 50ish. plus folks were raised in a time when we had to learn to seek adventure and entertainment , most of us didn't (not me anyway) have television, or Nintendo or someone to shuffle our butts to Soccor practice (heck, my Sibs and I often didn't even have enough to eat, but, we had FUN!).....we made our own fun , played outside, we built forts from scraps we found, and sleds out of a card-board boxs, (we didn't have snow where I was raised, we sled down dry grass hills in the summer). The younger folks missed out IMHO.

average age

msawin - 11-2-2003 at 07:15 PM

Last poll A.K.A.... amoigos... 46

yep, I am 46 I must fit in. Martin-o

Anonymous - 11-2-2003 at 07:46 PM

What the hell is Soccor?

BajaNomad - 11-2-2003 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
What the hell is Soccor?

F?tbol, a.k.a. Soccer.

Sorry Jim, and thanks Doug...spelling is not my "forte"

Debra - 11-2-2003 at 07:53 PM

:)

Anonymous - 11-4-2003 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
Looks like (so far) I was right, and I was wrong.

I was wrong because I thought you were much younger than you are (I'm with Steph. )

And right about thinking most on this board were of the 50 plus range.

I would like to add why I think that is the case (others, please chime in on your opinon)

First, to spend time in Baja (not the border and not the fly in CSL folks) takes time.....Most younger people can't get that kind of time off of work.

Second (and I don't mean this in a negitive way) IMHO, us 50ish. plus folks were raised in a time when we had to learn to seek adventure and entertainment , most of us didn't (not me anyway) have television, or Nintendo or someone to shuffle our butts to Soccor practice (heck, my Sibs and I often didn't even have enough to eat, but, we had FUN!).....we made our own fun , played outside, we built forts from scraps we found, and sleds out of a card-board boxs, (we didn't have snow where I was raised, we sled down dry grass hills in the summer). The younger folks missed out IMHO.

This occasional lurker has to disagree, I'm 59 and have been playing in Baja for 30 years and there have always been and still are lots of younger people, including my offspring, who are there. They just feel no need for this type of forum which they perceive as a bunch of old fart know-it-alls. I often motorcycle camp in out of the way places and meet more young surfers and bikers with ratty old Toyota pickups than older folks in H2's. In general I find them to be more adventurous travelers than many of the older folks. It is easy to stereotype the younger crowd as ruined by TV and Nintendo but I know way too many outstanding teens and young adults to buy into that.
KurtG

Kurt

Debra - 11-4-2003 at 08:56 PM

You may well be right, however, when I'm treking around Baja it's not the 20something's that I meet, (I'm talking Gringo's here) it's us 50ish types.....I only seem to run into the younger group in the border areas, CSL, or San Felipe. For the most part if I run into 'youngin's' they are local. I wasn't trying to 'sterotype', The comments I made were on how much things have changed, (you did mention that it was 30yrs. ago when YOU started exploring Baja........30yrs. ago) I was just making an observation. Thanks for your input, listening is how I learn. And welcome, I don't remember seening a post from you before. :) Debra

age ??

msawin - 11-4-2003 at 10:27 PM

Have you noticed... Us younger folks are increasing. in the poll.. the 40-49 group...

martin-o

{oh yea.. I guess you start at sometime to be a Baja - ite... Me/us 20 years of age.]

Bajabus - 11-5-2003 at 09:07 AM

Debra, sounds like you are not hanging out in the "cool" places. I defintely see more young folks than old farts unless I go to santispac or other popular old fart places.

Bagheera - 11-7-2003 at 02:24 PM

Wow. I'm the only person in his 20's on the board.

Skeet/Loreto - 11-7-2003 at 04:01 PM

Ken: Good Poll! Hey Jimmy!! yhay Jesus has come into my Virginin's life and back into mine after about 50 years. What a great change in both of us.I already know he is looking after you and me caused we are Old Farts. But you know the smartAlec youngs farts had better listen up and "Learn where the Rocks Are:'Also the best fishing spots, The proper way to seduce beautifull women, How to chew Tabacky and no one knows,.

I was reminded this morning of my age. I went to the Dospalos Elem. School to see my adopted Grandson get an award for being "Friendlist" in his Kindergarten Clas.s
Parents and Students all stood and repeated the Pledge with "under God' as it is suppose to be. On the wall next to the principal was pictures of Veterans from the World War 1 to the present. All of the Vets in town are going to be honored by the Children on Vets, Day.
An guess what Ken at least 72 % of all those kids are Mexicano!!! Parents from the fields, the Dairy Barns, the cotton Harvesters all standing and saluting the Grand Old Flag of the Greatest County ever there has been.
Listen up you youngins we still know How to kick Butt!!
Skeet/Loreto

HEAR HEAR SKEET!

Debra - 11-7-2003 at 05:37 PM

bajalera - 11-8-2003 at 04:13 PM

Why do you want to know?

* age ??? *

msawin - 11-8-2003 at 06:05 PM

Why your age? We had posting on amigos that went to about 100 postings. I even printed the listing to keep up on the persona of those I was taking the time to get to understand thier Baja image. It was great to see the response of that posting..I thought it was great to be able to know the age of posters and being in the middle of the spectrum 46.. It was so awsome to be reading postings from 25 year old amigos that had the respone of a 65 year old with lots of experience...Than a 72 year old with the response you thought you might get from someone 18 years old. ..yep the age.. martin-o

Ken Bondy - 11-9-2003 at 09:05 AM

bajalera
Just curious, nothing insidious, no evil motives. There had been some discussion about the age of the posters in one thread, and a poll was discussed. Here it is.

msawin
Are you criticizing the poll or supporting it? Hard to tell.

++Ken++

Dave - 11-9-2003 at 05:48 PM

Skeet, speaking of Vets day:

Can anyone on this board tell us why Nov 11'th was chosen for Veterans day? What was it called before Ike renamed it? Skeet, you and all the other "old farts" are excused.:lol:

David K - 11-9-2003 at 06:27 PM

It was formerly Armistice Day, cebrating the end of WW-I, on Nov. 11. 1918. About 30 years ago the holiday (in America) was changed to a Monday in October (making a short trip to Baja possible). What I don't know is who changed it back to Nov. 11... ?

Armistice day.........

Tucker - 11-9-2003 at 06:27 PM

As I recall (from my history lessons) Nov. 11 was the date of the cessation of WW1 hostilities. Not sure, the year 1918?

age?

msawin - 11-9-2003 at 07:03 PM

geez, ken I missed your age..

great twice
awsome once

Ken Bondy - 11-9-2003 at 07:37 PM

msawin

Actually you didn't, I never revealed it.:D

++Ken++

msawin - 11-9-2003 at 09:27 PM

msawin
Are you criticizing the poll or supporting it? Hard to tell.

++Ken++

yes you did Ken....you said you were 63

Debra - 11-10-2003 at 07:38 PM

which very much surprized me :o :)

Ken Bondy - 11-10-2003 at 07:54 PM

Oooops, I forgot about that. You are absolutely right Debra, I kinda wish I had kept that under wraps, but it's out in the open now :D.

Sorry msawin, I confess to being 63 as Debra said.

++Ken++

When someone reaches the age of 63

Debra - 11-10-2003 at 08:17 PM

and carries it as you do, you brag about it, not hide it! :spingrin:

Ken Bondy - 11-10-2003 at 09:35 PM

Debra

That was an extraordinarily nice thing to say. Mil gracias!

++Ken++

age not the issue

msawin - 11-11-2003 at 07:57 PM

Ken,
I think that you posted your age in the Amigos posting, and I have to tell you that I really think that age isn't a concern really, but I am impressed with the attitude of younger folks and am in the in deep respect of elders that take the time to share thier thoughts with us. Last year I had some question on diving equipment that you gave me insight to that helped me with my purchases .. and, that I think that is what the is about.. People with experience, sharring... Thanks to all of you for your posts.. That is what amigos was about..