BajaNomad

Baja Vehicle - Trooper

oldjack - 2-2-2006 at 10:28 AM

I have been told that the Izusu Trooper(older models 89-91) are a good choice for traveling Baja because parts can be had throughout... the seem to be a high-clearance 4x4 and good rough road vehicles....

Has anyone had positve/negative experience with this or have good intelligence that will help making the decision???

For $3000 a Trooper in good condition can be purchased...

comitan - 2-2-2006 at 04:35 PM

Troopers in Baja everything you wanted to know.

http://www.bajainsider.com/driving-baja/isuzu-troopers.htm

Ken Cooke - 2-2-2006 at 05:40 PM

I had a Trooper on the Baja Pole Line Road event 1 yr. ago. It did fine!

The Baja Pole Line Road:

This road is one of the worst in all of Baja. If a Trooper could handle the challenges, it has to be a capable SUV.

MexicoTed - 2-2-2006 at 07:53 PM

oldjack,

I had a 91 Trooper for years and drove the peninsula two times in it as well as local trips in the 100's. Now I have a 1996 Troopper which has done just as well.
Great 4X4 for Baja,
Ted

Debra - 2-3-2006 at 11:38 AM

I believe that Mike H. Trooper is a '96. Some of you may recall it was left in SI a couple of years ago with a blown motor. (runing out of oil turns out not to be a good thing) it spent a couple of years down there, was finally towed north and now has a new motor. In fairness, I have to say that on the many other trips I rode and drove it. It was a great rig.

honda tom - 2-3-2006 at 09:26 PM

stay away from isuzu! take a toyota every time. or a chevy a ford then dodge then nissan then volks..... dont even think of making a baja trip with an isuzu

And...coming soon to a Toyota store near you...

Mexray - 2-4-2006 at 01:10 AM

http://toyota.com/vehicles/future/fjcruiser.html?s_van=GM_TN...

they have also started to run two-page, hard paper, ads in the popular 4WD mags...first one shows the FJ Cruiser on the Rubicon Trail...cooool

Tomas Tierra - 2-5-2006 at 11:01 AM

What about a honda Tom??

honda tom - 2-6-2006 at 10:46 AM

lets see how the new honda ridgeline holds up after a few years, then we'll know if its worthy. If I was out looking for a vehicle to purchase for baja trips, I would go for something that had a history of reliability.

David K - 2-6-2006 at 02:57 PM

Can't reach into the bed of the Ridgeline from the sides with that sloping side, just the back end... Looks aren't as important as function for a truck.

The big secret compartment is interesting, but unaccessable with a load in the bed.

Wait for the second year changes... or whenever they get enough feedback. Unless it is designed just for fun and weekend stuff, no serious trips into the outback...???