BajaNomad

Fuel Prices for February 2006 from BajaCactus

David K - 2-6-2006 at 10:54 PM

I received an email tonight from Antonio, who said he is extremely busy trying to meet new Pemex demands:
===============================================================

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

P.S.... Could you please post the fuel prices for February for me?

-- Premium: $7.36 pesos per liter.
-- Magna: $6.23 pesos per liter.
-- Diesel: $ 5.11 pesos per liter.

Current exhange rate $10.20 pesos per dollar (more or less).

THANKS!!!

=========================================================

Okay, to expand on those figures as Antonio usually does...

Premium is US$2.73/gallon

Magna is US$2.31/gallon

Diesel is US$1.90/gallon

Today in San Diego County, the lowest prices I saw for regular ranged from $2.47 to $2.56 (Costco & Arco)

Santiago - 2-7-2006 at 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I received an email tonight from Antonio, who said he is extremely busy trying to meet new Pemex demands:

New demands from Pemex??

TMW - 2-7-2006 at 08:25 AM

Something I've wondered about is how do the Mexicans afford the cost of gas. Do they just not drive that much. Walk more or ride an animal. Or use the bus. When you consider the cost of gas it seems it would be an expensive trip for them to go anywhere, yet there are many cars and pickups on the road and streets going everywhere. Perhaps they are better off than I first thought.

David K - 2-7-2006 at 08:30 AM

Yes, I think it is monitoring sensors in the storage tanks that Pemex headquarters in Mexico City can read... via satellite or phone lines.

Maybe the dishonest stations will be caught selling more litres than they actually pump out of the storage tanks??? Wouldn't that be interesting?

You will have to let Antonio explain the details, I am only speculating here!

Update

fdt - 2-8-2006 at 10:40 AM

Living in the middle of both countries, I usualy gas up were it's less expensive San Diego or Tijuana. Oh surprize that I followed the gas prices you posted and waited to fill up in Tijuana this morning and Magna is now 7.13 per liter, the guy said it went up yesterday, so 7.13 X3.79 is 27.02 mep per gallon and I exchanged USD for MEP @ 10.38 today, so ended up paying $2.60 per gallon, when in Chula Vista it is 2.48 per gallon last night. Oh well, I only put 100 pesos instead of filling up.

Thanks..

bajablue - 2-8-2006 at 10:58 AM

Thanks Antonio and DK. Your information is always appreciated..

bajalou - 2-8-2006 at 03:58 PM

Diesel in San Felipe was 5.11 today.

David K - 2-8-2006 at 04:50 PM

Lou, your price matches Antonio's quote.

Ferna, something is very wrong with your number! Is Tijuana (and othe border cities) still playing match the U.S. for prices? That was back when it was cheaper in the U.S. and to keep the Mexicans from wanting to buy gas in the U.S.:?::?::?:

Diesel's about $2.80 USD in Indio....

neilm - 2-8-2006 at 05:33 PM

If I filled a couiple of barrels at Baja Cactus, could I get them back across the border? Might help pay for a trip.

Last time I was there, a local ranchero was filling a 1000-liter tote.... & I put about 4 l. in my rabbit!

IIRC, in the 70's, when US diesel jumped to about $.50; in Mexico is was still about $.20.... but then the Mexicans got to where they wouldn't let you fill gas cans, barrels, even aux. tanks.

fdt - 2-8-2006 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ferna, something is very wrong with your number! Is Tijuana (and othe border cities) still playing match the U.S. for prices? That was back when it was cheaper in the U.S. and to keep the Mexicans from wanting to buy gas in the U.S.:?::?::?:

Don't know, maybe Antonio knows, but in the past it has matched from his posts:?: