BajaNomad

Ice Box - Low Tech Refrigerator

Denver - 2-8-2006 at 08:23 PM

I've been pulling ideas together for a casita in Baja and in doing so have determined to bring at least one new idea to further efficiency or lower energy consumption in an off-grid setting.

Today while daydreaming during a Dept. of Energy conference, I came up with an idea for a concrete and polystyrene ice-box that is truly a ZERO energy appliance. Imagine creating a box with walls, top and bottom of 6" polystyrene core sandwiched between expanded metal lath covered with concrete/cement stucco. This thing has a small wood door on the front with a 3" blue-board core, a drain in the bottom and 2 wire shelves. I should scan in my sketch for clarity.

Is anyone using something like this? How long do you think ice will last in a bomb-proof super-insulated concrete box? I know it lasts forever in a marine-grade boat cooler if it's in the shade.

Looking for the answer to burning propane for refrigeration.

Bruce R Leech - 2-8-2006 at 08:37 PM

I have one Kind of like that it has walls, top and bottom of 6" polystyrene core sandwiched between expanded metal lath covered with concrete/cement stucco. inside it is lined with an additional 2 inches of high density insulation. This thing has a a large walk in door on the front with a 8" high density core and doable gaskets and freezer latch, it is 8 feet by 16 feet and id divided in the middle wit a second door the back 8 foot square room is a freezer -20 deg. and the front one is a cooler 38 deg. it costs about the same to run as a small house refrigerator. if the power fails it will keep things frozen for about 2 weeks .

[Edited on 2-9-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Only one add'l suggestion...

Mexray - 2-8-2006 at 08:39 PM

...Fit the door to the top, instead of the front...that way you won't allow the cool air inside to flow away each time you open er' up for a cerveza...

The more insulation, the better...before mechanical refrigeration many moons ago, big slabs of ice cut during the winter were stored for many months way back inside heavily insulated buildings or even caves! Wasn't there personally, but have read about it...

Small house refrigerator

Denver - 2-8-2006 at 08:55 PM

Bruce,

Are you a butcher or a beer distributor? I've never heard of a cooler so large. Maybe it's house you left in Minnesota?:biggrin:

Bruce R Leech - 2-8-2006 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Denver
Bruce,

Are you a butcher or a beer distributor? I've never heard of a cooler so large. Maybe it's house you left in Minnesota?:biggrin:

no it is here in Mulege. I once had a restaurant here. now I just rent space in it.

Bruce R Leech - 2-8-2006 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
...Fit the door to the top, instead of the front...that way you won't allow the cool air inside to flow away each time you open er' up for a cerveza...

The more insulation, the better...before mechanical refrigeration many moons ago, big slabs of ice cut during the winter were stored for many months way back inside heavily insulated buildings or even caves! Wasn't there personally, but have read about it...

the double doors help with that a lot. also I make a shopping list and so I only need to open it once every day or two.

walk-in coller

Denver - 2-9-2006 at 03:46 AM

Bruce,

What type of condenser do you use to keep it cold? Sounds like a good business for Baja: cold storage by the month.

Bruce R Leech - 2-9-2006 at 07:46 AM

the condenser is a 2 fan forced air with auto defrost.

bajalou - 2-9-2006 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray

The big old ice houses every 1-300 miles along the railroads stored ice for months - used sawdust for insulation in most cases.

A thing to remember - ice that doesn't melt doesn't cool anything else. The faster it melts, the colder it will make the compartment. With about 30% salt it will keep frozen stuff hard as a rock as long as you keep the ice and salt coming.

:biggrin:

That's Brine

Dianamo - 2-9-2006 at 10:26 AM

Ice with salt = brine

bajajudy - 2-9-2006 at 05:29 PM

Dianamo
Your avatar is giving me a headache. Can you turn it down a little?:o
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I lost the red and green on my computer.

What did you do to it....it went away!

[Edited on 2-10-2006 by bajajudy]