BajaNomad

Courage

Skeet/Loreto - 11-2-2003 at 02:03 PM

She stepped out of the car and started across the pavement toward me,Tall,Lithe,with a motion in her body and gait that said"I know who I am and I know where I am going".
Her husband walking to her left spoke my name in a question,I replied and we exchanged greetings as we had only met on the old Amigos board.'

She extended her hand and gripped my hand Strong and firm.Her beautifull eyes looked deeply into my Soul.I was so taken by her manner that I seemed to be suspended in Space.
We went into the cafe and were seated in a large dark booth.As she sat down she turned to me and said"I guess my husband told you about my Arm". I then noticed that her left arm and part of her shoulder was missing..I had been so spaced out by her manner that I had not noticed!!
About 4/5 years ago she was attacked by a Sabre Tooth Tapir.She lost her left Arm,part of the rib cage,part of the shoulder,skull and leg!!
She has had over 40 major operations.I was numbed by her courage.

After and hour or so of getting aquainted we left the Cafe and parted company agreeing that some day we would meet in Loreto.
I watched as she slowly walked to the car a women of Courage and Beauty.
Her courage unparalled.
God Bless Her!!!
Skeet/Loreto

courage

Juan - 11-3-2003 at 07:52 AM

Hi Skeet, You have to tell us what country this lady was in when she was attacked. I, for one, want to avoid any sabre toothed tapirs. Sure glad we don't have any of those critters in my neighborhood.

Best wishes amigo, Juan

Skeet/Loreto - 11-3-2003 at 09:12 AM

Good Morning Juan! Mid USA in a Zoo.
She was feeding the Tapir whic was her job.

Juan the next time you are in Loreto I woulsd appreciate you taking somethings down for Alex and Ericka. There Cardboard shack is just off the road and close to the real good Taco place just before the first curve. Hope you can go soon.
Just had a visit from Jim and Peg Brown of Sequim. They are the ones who started growing Lavander on McDonald Creek.
Juan have you noticed that no one seems to like to answer questions on the board.
Am I being to personal?I really do like to hear the different takes and spin on a subject,then I try to seperate the information into a factual story.Anyway it keeps my mind active and supplies some good laughs.
Question for you: Do you know which board they are talking about when they say Thaaaat board! I may be missing a good board. Skeet/Loreto

Neal Cox - 11-3-2003 at 09:52 AM

Hey Skeet, We have never met, but I have always enjoyed your posts. To be honest, I have become more of a lurker than a contributor these days for the following reasons:

1. Most posters seem to be very thin skinned. A good thread can start and then someone says the wrong thing and everyone gets offended and the following posts are more like a kindergarten sand box fight than an rational discussion of issues related to Baja travel.

2. Hidden agendas - I first logged on to some discussion boards for more information, but soon find out that there are uncountable sub plots. People who don't like people (if you like them, I don't like you etc), the wrong thing to say, the right thing to say and so on and so forth.
I, frankly, don't give a rat's ass about those things and don't want to post something that sets off a tempest in a tea pot.

3. For the most part (and there are notable exceptions), posters take themselves, their comments, opinions and postitions way to seriously. The theory behind this particular board is good in that there are different sections that allow people with agendas to post in areas that I don't have to visit. However, it seems that they all creep up into the upper level of formums that should be more informational than political.

In closing, I would say this. I tremendously enjoy may posts. Mike Humfreville's stories are alway entertaining, David K knows a lot about Baja as do many others. I went to the Northwest Baja gathering hosted by Debra and had a great time (How are you Debra?) But top be honest, I can find most information I need by just looking here and other places, I just don't need the petty fights. I think thaaat place is baja.net - if you want to see some serious, major league flaming, look there.

You all keep posting and I'll keep lurking and might even post ocasionally. When I travel south, I will try to meet any people who post here just for the fun of it.

We recently had a great visit to Bahia de Los Angeles and met some folks we contacted through various boards - thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. You all have a good day. Skeet, I would drive out of my way to meet you.

Neal Cox - 11-3-2003 at 09:58 AM

Just one more note related to my post above, I originally said - I don't give a rat's (three letter word that rhymes with brass) and somehow it immediately got censored to "fanny", pretty funny, I never considered myself to be a gutter mouth, but guess you can't say (rhymes with brass) on this board. Mind you , I am not being thin skinned, just making an observation.

reefrocket - 11-3-2003 at 10:26 AM

Neal don't take any offence to the editing of a word. The word you used is the word that BajaBus used in a story long ago in referance to a burro. When it came out as a fanny it was a great laught. The software that this program runs on has built a in censor that can produce some real funny post.:yes:

Skeet/Loreto - 11-3-2003 at 05:34 PM

Neal: Thank you for in informative post.!It is always good to read the words of a clear thinking individual.
My good cousin is a good high mucky muck with Univ. Wash. I sure have made some nice friends from the Northwest.No matter their politics!!
any time you come south I am about 12 miles off of Hwy 5 and Hwy 152,east of San Jose about 60 miles. You all come by anytime. Skeet/Loreto

Baja Bernie - 11-3-2003 at 08:50 PM

Neil,
For a lurker you sure can hit a nail on its head!

Skeet

Juan - 11-4-2003 at 09:01 AM

Hola Amigo, I would be glad to take some things down to Loreto for Alex and Ericka. However, because of medical problems here at home I won't be going down for a few months. Put the box under the bed and I will pick it up on the way by.

Neil answered your question about "that other board". I stopped by that site a couple of times after the Amigo's board shut down but didn't care for it much.

Best wishes, Juan

Marie-Rose - 11-4-2003 at 10:16 AM

Neil
You mirrored my thoughts exactly. I've been a "lurker" and sometimes poster since sept and have learned so much from a handfull of the regular posters. My husb. and I would love to meet some of you. There have been some mention of people needing certain items and although we willl be a little tight for space in our Westie...we will be driving between San Jose and Todos Santos regularly to pick up friends at the airport and I know that they would be more than happy to carry some things requested.
Skeet ...great story!

Skeet/Loreto - 11-4-2003 at 10:20 AM

Juan: Do you need any Help?Just call and let me know.
Have youi had a Stress Treadmill?Just found out yesterday that it probably saved my Life. Went into the Heart Doctor and he said that I had the longest blockage ina vein that he had ever done. The longest Stent used.
I am a great, he told me it was time to get back on the Horse and Tractor. Let me know my friend. Skeet/Loreto

For the kids

Ski Baja - 11-4-2003 at 05:09 PM

Skeet, if I get anywhere near the donations I received last time, I would be more than happy to drop some off with the kids your memory was about. Please give me a little more specific directions and I will make sure they get some things. Any preference? Clothes? School Supplies?Deet? Todo?

Donations down south

Ski Baja - 11-4-2003 at 05:12 PM

And PS, I am heading back down to do the same things in 2 weeks.

J.R. -

Natalie Ann - 11-4-2003 at 05:41 PM

What's your estimated departure date? I'm hoping to mail to you some of the magnifying reading glasses (for adults and for kids) and some seeds and perhaps a small donation for whatever. Let me know about the timeline. Thanks.

Hey Skeet!

Tucker - 11-5-2003 at 04:12 PM

Nicely written piece. Ol' "Grapestake Tech" (Fresno State) did good by you! Keep up the good work.

Minnow - 11-6-2003 at 04:25 AM

Neal, sometimes things need to be said, they fade away quickly.

Skeet, www.baja.net is the place they are refering.

Jaun, if you haven't visited baja.net since the amigos days you really should give it another chance. It has changed a great deal and the photo gallery alone makes it worth a regular visit.

J.R., Excellent work my man. Great cause! Glad to read so many have stepped forward to help. Fresno St. hum, I'm Cal Poly SLO, guess that make us rivals.:lol:

Skeet and Sequim

Cardon Man - 11-6-2003 at 08:46 AM

Hey Skeet, you mentioned Sequim and Mcdonald Creek like you might know the places. Do you visit Sequim? I'm a Sequimite and my Mom and Dad live over by the Lavender farm you mentioned. Regards from the sunny shores of Sequim Bay!

Skeet/Loreto - 11-6-2003 at 09:40 AM

Cardon Man: Yes While living in Loreto. We decided we would like a place in the Northwest. We decided on Sequim because of Jack Sallee{My classmate at Amarillo Texas 48} had built the Sequim Valley airport.Ran across him on a trip up North and decide to stay. We bought an Acre right before you get to McDonalCreek
turn off was Creekside Drive.
We bought a Trailer and went to Helena Monta. to learn how to be a . contractor Spent about 4 months in Helena and my good friend helped us build a 1500 Sq. ft house while learning.
Took the trailer to Sequim and did our own contraction and buily a 1800 Sq.Ft. Home.It was on Falfa Lane, there were 7 homesites only all about a Acre. We had a great time and met some fine people such as Jim and Peg Brown {Lavander} and Ray Halstead and his sife and of Course my very good friend John Coyle of Pt. Ludlow/Loreto. My Mother was in the retirement Center/Hosptial for about 4 years, placed there with the good Help of John Coyle.She had excellent care and passed away two years ago at the age of 94.
We really liked Sequim but living in Loreto so long we could not get use to the Cold.
I may be coming up shortly to buy Jim Browns Ford Truck. If I do would like to meet you. I will let you know.Skeet/Loreto

Neal Cox - 11-6-2003 at 10:18 AM

Minnow, There are very few things that need to be said and a whole lot that would be better unsaid. I dispute your concept that things said fade away quickly. Every time a couple of poster get into a pee'n match, things said previously get brought up again. Generally, I have no clue what they are talking about, but they obviously remember who said what and when they said it. "Keep on Lurking"

David K - 11-6-2003 at 03:27 PM

Neal, a very well said observation. I hope to do mostly informative posts here, with a few personal thoughts about Baja thrown in.

For quite a long time, I had done just that on Amigos de Baja, then over here on Baja Nomad.

I got an email from an Amigo who also was a personal friend and asked me why I didn't defend another amigo when they were flamed be another. That's when I ended my neutrality and took issue when an amigo was 'attacked' on the board. Now, I have risked losing some friends because I post my beliefs or defence of another amigo. Well Abe Lincoln said you can't please all the people all the time.

As for the Off Topic/ Non Baja board: Frankly, the one political point of view just had a free run with their spin, and I thought (for some balance) I would post the opposite opinion. Thus, I get some hate mail...

Hey folks, lets just be good to each other and respect each other. We are all here because we love Baja... THAT, we have in common. We should be able to meet each other, share a beer, a campsite, etc. if we chose. Others who prefer to not socialize and just converse via the message board are fine, as well.

Let's just remember that outside of our love of Baja California, we have personal lives and political opinions that may be different... but so what!?!

I have met and enjoyed visiting with some who post here who have the opposite politics of mine... and I DON'T CARE! Friendships are MORE important than politics... OKAY?

As for my always posting links to my web site or trip pages... I think a photo can tell so much (a picture is worth a thousand words). My site is primarily photos of exotic Baja locations that most will never see in person, otherwise.

DavidKsBaja.com is not commercial in any way. I derive no income from it... I just share what I have been so lucky to have visited for those who have not or can not go. It is basically a photo travel guide for mostly 4WD only locations and a place where you all can see what some of the Internet and book authors look like (at my Viva Baja gigs or M's BBBB parties). Also, my Baja Missions site is located there, and many new and historic pictures are for all to enjoy of nearly every mission and many visitas.

I hope more lurkers (readers) begin to share their Baja travel stories here... It's what can make this board so valuable!

Viva Baja Everybody!!!

[Edited on 11-6-2003 by David K]

Minnow, seriously.....you need to try the decaf!

capt. mike - 11-7-2003 at 11:40 AM

it tastes very much like regular grind, and you don't twitch hardly at all ! ;^0 :spingrin:

Neal Cox - 11-7-2003 at 12:49 PM

Marie-Rose,
Check your U2U regarding your upcoming trip to Baja via Westy

Minnow,
To the DeCaf, add a couple prozac, a handful of Darvon and one or two of whatever else you find in the medicine cabinet or under the seat of your car and you should be just fine in a day or two.

Minnow - 11-7-2003 at 01:58 PM

Captn. Mike. I don't drink coffee.

Neil, I don't need all that stuff I have my Baja princess. Met her while she was working at an Internet Cafe in Sta. Rosalia. Now my wife.

Anonymous - 11-7-2003 at 04:04 PM

What grade is she in?
:lol:

Skeet/Loreto - 11-7-2003 at 04:08 PM

Minnow !WOW. Minnow Do you actually get in and ride that funny looking thing next to that beautifull Lady!!!
That looks like you dug up and old VW from the 60's.Scares me to death ,I would rather do Flip Flops in and Airplane than get any where close to that Contraption.!!Please keep me informed when you are in Baja, Skeet/Loreto

Minnow - 11-7-2003 at 06:09 PM

Skeet; I sure will. When you heading back down. I plan on looking Captn. George up next time I'm down Loreto way. The dune buggy is Desert Bulls.

Anon. Shes a freshmen at UNLV. Jealous!

Neal Cox - 11-8-2003 at 06:30 PM

Minnow, completely understandable why you would want to keep all yours senses intact to enjoy your beautiful wife. I have driven rigs around Baja that look way worse than yours.

Minnow - 11-8-2003 at 07:38 PM

Neal, I hope you are not talking about the buggy.:biggrin: Those seats alone are a grand apeice. WAY, out of my league.