BajaNomad

Magellan Maps Mexico, Expands GPS

Kimpatsu_Hekigan - 2-11-2006 at 09:09 AM

Found this on a Mexico news site today:
Quote:
Magellan announced today the introduction of the first mapping software for rugged handheld GPS navigation devices containing a detailed map of the entire Republic of Mexico. Magellan MapSend Topo Mexico provides extensive searchable points of interest, topography, parks and highways, plus street detail for cities with a population of 50,000 or more. Available on a convenient preloaded Secure Digital (SD) memory card, the software converts compatible Magellan eXplorist and Meridian handheld GPS receivers into powerful travel tools allowing outdoor enthusiasts, tourists and adventurers to navigate with ease through both suburban and urban areas, on foot or behind the wheel.
Rest of article in Telematics Journal is here:
http://www.telematicsjournal.com/content/newsfeed/6292.html

FWIW (For What It's Worth)...

-- K.H.

Pompano - 2-11-2006 at 09:22 AM

Kimpatsu_Hekigan...please tell me the origin of your outstanding name? It's a hobby of mine.

About time

Taco de Baja - 2-11-2006 at 09:22 AM

these GPS companies began realizing people go to Mexico...

Nothing on the Magellan site yet though. The only hit on "Mexico" goes to "new mexico"

bajarich - 2-11-2006 at 10:26 AM

Wasn't it nice when you could actually get lost in Mexico? It will never be the same.

Pompano - 2-11-2006 at 10:41 AM

bajarich...you have hit the nail on the head, albiet a little late. I felt Baja had changed irrevocably around 1978 or so...blacktop made it too easy and accessible. Mainland Mexico? I would think when the Mayans civilization floundered under the Spainards and missionaries in the late 1500's. One must go with the flow or be overwhelmed. GPS...a love and hate relationship if you frequent the outback.

bajalou - 2-11-2006 at 11:26 AM

Doesn't sound like it's designed to help if you're not in a city or on a major highway. Garmin and LBmaps does a great job for Baja

:?:

Pompano - 2-11-2006 at 04:17 PM

U2U is kaput!!

Kimpatsu...thanks for the U2U..unfortunately my computer will not let me access those messages from you ...or anyone else for that matter. A little cloud of smoke came out of the gizmo when I opened it and I fear the genie has escaped. Please ignore my request...thanks.

Carol - 2-12-2006 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
Nothing on the Magellan site yet though. The only hit on "Mexico" goes to "new mexico"

I found this link on their site:
http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=12...
I didn't notice (at a quick read) that it mentions that it's compatible with the Meridian though

bajalou - 2-13-2006 at 07:59 AM

"Stock status: Backordered"

KurtG - 2-13-2006 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajarich
Wasn't it nice when you could actually get lost in Mexico? It will never be the same.

Ten years ago when I bought my Magellan handheld GPS, which I still use, one of my buddies pointed out that "Now you'll know exactly where you're dying."

Bruce R Leech - 2-13-2006 at 08:19 PM

I like the German much better. and I don't need to send my money to France:lol: