BajaNomad

Medical care in Baja

mcgyver - 2-18-2006 at 06:43 PM

In a conversation today with some of my MC riding friends who are pre running for Baja 250 I discovered that some of them who are active duty and retired military were not aware that Tricare (Champus) insurance covers them in Baja.

You will be responsible for the first $150 individual or $300 for a family per fiscal year or $50 for active duty , after that you are fully reimbursed. So if you are on Tricare use it!

Drugs are covered if they are on the USA formulary list.

Care of course must be obtained from a licensed Doctor and hospital and you have to summit your own claims on
DD Form 2642 and DD 2527 if it involves a accident. Provide copies of all paper work.

Most Medicare Supplemental policies also cover care in Mexico.

Medicare does not yet cover you in Mexico but American owned Mexican hospitals are working on it.

I routinely use St. James Infirmary in San Felipe and the Doctors there for care and prescriptions and get prescriptions by mail order from the USA.

It just never crossed my mind that everyone did not know it until we were discussing one riders recent injury that required $525 dollars + to treat him well enough to go to the USA. Since he is active duty and there is a one year period to file a claim, he will now recover $475 dollars and be covered until the new fiscal year.