BajaNomad

Adam's tree vs. ocotillo

gringorio - 2-25-2006 at 04:25 PM

Here are a couple photos of a seedling Adam?s tree and a seeding ocotillo that I have been growing for a while now.

The 2 year old Adam?s tree was collected as a seed from an Adam?s tree in Camp Gecko, Bahia de los Angeles in March 2004. It is now 9cm tall.

The 4 ? year old ocotillo was collected as a seed in June 2001 from an ocotillo in the yard of a friend in Southern Arizona. It is now 12cm tall.

Note how similar both seedlings are. Neither has yet to exhibit the branching so characteristic of the adult trees.

Both are from the ocotillo family. The Adam?s tree grows from central Baja California southward and the ocotillo occurs in the Sonoran desert south to Bahia Concepcion. Both species can be found together in Baja California.

gringorio

[Edited on 2-27-2006 by gringorio]

ocotillo

gringorio - 2-25-2006 at 04:26 PM

4 1/2 year old ocotillo seedling

[Edited on 2-26-2006 by gringorio]

bajajudy - 2-25-2006 at 04:35 PM

Most people here call them palo adan.
Of course everything is called palo something...palo verde, palo blanco, palo negro, palo escapeta....

We wont ask how you got the seed into the USA;D

They both sure are beautiful after a rain!

[Edited on 2-26-2006 by bajajudy]

oladulce - 2-25-2006 at 05:00 PM

Since they say that Ocotillo are supposed to be easy to grow from a cutting, I've tried a few times with Palo Ad?n cuttings without success.
Either too dry and it shrivels up, or too wet and it gets soggy.

Good job getting them to grow from seeds.

I have been able to get rooted Ad?n plants to grow with every other day drip irrigation (which is the schedule of the town's water supply in San Juanico). But I'll be darned, you won't see a single flower until the day after it rains. I even tried faking it out and spraying the plant to simulate rain, but they're never fooled.

woody with a view - 2-25-2006 at 07:03 PM

Quote:

Since they say that Ocotillo are supposed to be easy to grow from a cutting,

my wife cut a 12" section from an ocotillo near ocotillo wells in early december. she cut it into 2 pieces and put each in a cup of water 2 inches deep. both are now pushing out greenery. tough plant...

Palo Adan

tehag - 2-25-2006 at 09:15 PM

Both are used as fence posts in their own range, and often bloom for years and years.

sprouts

gringorio - 2-25-2006 at 09:30 PM

As relatively big as these two sprouts are, I've never seen ones of such size in the wild. I guess you'd have to look really close to find the young ones. I wonder if they need 'nurse' trees like saguaro cacti do?

Skipjack Joe - 2-26-2006 at 10:47 AM

You're right Greg, they're closely related and often confused with one another. Hence the expression:

"He can't tell an ocotillo from adam"

:(

Neal Johns - 2-26-2006 at 08:23 PM

Groan...Skipjack.:lol:

Photo taken from http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/bto/desertecology/ocotillo.htm
Ocotillo left, Palo Adan (Adam's Tree) right.

gringorio - 2-26-2006 at 09:01 PM

Great photographic example Neal Johns... Thanks for posting it along with the helpful link!

gringorio

oladulce - 2-27-2006 at 01:16 PM

Palo Ad?n forest after lots of rain.