BajaNomad

Baja residents get $100 for weapons

Anonymous - 11-19-2002 at 11:11 PM

Mexican authorities are waging a campaign to encourage residents of Baja California to turn in privately owned guns, the newspaper Frontera has reported.
In the first two weeks of the program, more than 1,000 weapons have been turned in to officials in the border state. Some 430 have been collected in Tijuana, and 447 in Mexicali.

People turning in guns can receive payments worth about $100. Compensation is also given to people turning in ammunition and explosives.

The weapon most commonly being turned over is the .22-caliber pistol. Authorities are also receiving automatic weapons. And in Mexicali, someone turned in a canon.

Mexico has strict laws limiting gun ownership. Mexican officials believe that 80 percent of the weapons in their country were brought in from the United States.

A canon! I love it.

Stephanie Jackter - 11-19-2002 at 11:34 PM

Ya just never know what you'll run across in Baja. I wonder what the actual number of guns is on the peninsula. - Stephanie

Re

JESSE - 11-20-2002 at 12:07 AM

Steph,

Even do guns are illegal in Mexico, most Mexicans, especially on border states where you can get guns from the US are armed, at least with a hand gun.

It is common to have one "for protection", and i found that most crimes commited with firearms in Mexico, are done by drug dealers and not the general population.

Tucker - 11-20-2002 at 12:50 AM

The folks who think there are no guns down here should be here at midnight Dec. 31!

Bajabus - 11-22-2002 at 08:47 PM

guns and drugs are everywhere.
Just about every home in these rural areas has a pistol with the 22 or 32 being the most popular. Everytime I go to the states I get requests for amo. I used to sneak 22 amo years ago but those were different times. I would never try it now.
I might add that there is a well developed black market down here for all thing prohibited. Everyone "knows a man" that knows another man......and so on