BajaNomad

BAJA CALIFORNIO THE MOVIE

BAJACAT - 3-4-2006 at 10:48 PM

Can someone tell me what mission is the one they show in this flick I think is Santa Maria but Im leaning towards San Fernando mission , anybody

Bajo California on DVD with English subtitles?

Kimpatsu_Hekigan - 3-4-2006 at 11:08 PM

Does anyone know where to get the film, Bajo California, on DVD with English subitles?

I've seen the DVD on eBay occasionally, but in Spanish only. No English subtitles...

Many thanks!

-- K.H.

BAJACAT - 3-4-2006 at 11:16 PM

I got mine on e-bay could find it in stores it's in spanish only lol.

David K - 3-5-2006 at 12:51 AM

Those appear to be the ruins of Rancho Catavi?a, which was abandoned before the transpeninsular highway was built in '73, but gave its name to the new parador built there... In a brief instant you can see the back wall of the Hotel La Pinta Catavi?a as the camera pans by... up on the hill above the adobe ruins.

Misions such as Santa Maria used much larger adobe bricks than the later, Mexican ranchos used...

BAJACAT - 3-5-2006 at 06:30 PM

Thanks Dk on the movie the old man reffers to them as the Mission ruins but don't give a name for them. there is alot thinks that don't make sence in the movie like when he is living san francisco de la sierra they toll Damian to go straight and he will find the Mar (sea) maybe they where pointing east but it looks like he is goping west. maybe Im wrong I don't know, but anyways Dk thanks for the 411..

David K - 3-5-2006 at 07:35 PM

Hi BajaCat...

It is a movie, and they use 'locations' to film scenes...

The adobe ruins in the movie were meant to represent a mission site, and Mision Santa Maria de los Angeles is the closest site.

However, getting the film crew and actors, etc. to that mission would be impossible within the budget of that film... for that short of a scene, as well.

An old adobe ranch ruin would have to work... Just use you imagination that it is Santa Maria...

The scene when Damian climbs the mountain and can see across Baja from the Cortez (near Santa Rosalia to the Pacific (near San Ignacio Lagoon/ Abreojos) looked pretty much the way I would expect that view to appear.

It is a great 'Baja lovers cult movie', and fun to watch... I show it to any Nomads who come by and would like to see it... I have the one with English subtitles... There's not a lot of talking in that movie, so it is easy to follow...

[Edited on 3-6-2006 by David K]

David K - 3-5-2006 at 07:39 PM

Oh, and the movie (in English) is actually called 'BAJO CALIFORNIA, the limit of time'... With Bajo translated as UNDER