BajaNomad

Beware: Reversed Road Sign

bajalera - 3-6-2006 at 07:49 PM

I haven't been able to keep up with the Nomad board lately, so if this has been posted before maybe someone will say so and I'll delete it:

Around a dozen miles south of San Quintin on Highway One, a turnoff to the right has been upgraded. A large sign indicates that this turnoff goes to Guerrero Negro and the highway goes to Santa Maria.

That's a rather serious reversal. To get to GN, stay on the highway, which swerves to the left. The turnoff to the right will take you to the little town of Santa Maria, where you might not want to go.

David K - 3-6-2006 at 07:56 PM

Yes, I got a laugh out of that!

Big new overhead sign for south bound traffic where the former Highway 1 route rejoins the newer detour route... This is the south paved access to Cielito Lindo in the area known as Santa Maria.

Also the town info. sign as you enter El Rosario points right (into the mountainside) where it should point straight.

surfer jim - 3-6-2006 at 09:41 PM

After a few tequilla shots those signs will seem to be pointing in the right direction I have been told.....:o

bajalera - 3-6-2006 at 10:32 PM

I'll drink to that.

woody with a view - 3-7-2006 at 07:41 AM

only in mexico. seems the gov't may be trying to steer a little commerce to santa maria, no?

Bruce R Leech - 3-7-2006 at 08:05 AM

it is getting that new sign up that is important it doesnt mater that it does not work:lol:

it looks really nice and that is what is really important

Don Alley - 3-7-2006 at 08:31 AM

Driving down Sat/Sun we also noticed several places where new signs, such as curve signs, kilometer posts, "fasten seat belt" etc were put in...right next to identical signs in good condition. Oops!

Where is Santa Maria guys???

BAJACAT - 3-7-2006 at 07:49 PM

Bruce R Leech - 3-7-2006 at 07:51 PM

turn right at the sign:lol:

vandenberg - 3-7-2006 at 07:56 PM

What about the signs of " grava suelte" y" Maquinas trabajandos" y "solo carril " etc.etc. still on the highway weeks or months after the work is completed.:no::no::no::no:

BAJACAT - 3-7-2006 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
turn right at the sign:lol:
Very funny Bruce :lol::fire::biggrin:

woody with a view - 3-7-2006 at 08:01 PM

Quote:

turn right at the sign

or......follow the signs to guerrero negro..............:lol::lol::lol:

BAJACAT - 3-7-2006 at 08:08 PM

I get it Woody:P I didn't know it was that far...:?:

David K - 3-7-2006 at 11:19 PM

BajaCat, that Santa Maria is just south of Cielito Lindo/ San Quintin... Los Pinos tomato growing region. The Santa Maria Sky Ranch of the 1960's was there...

The original main road and paved transpeninsular highway went through it... Repeated washouts forced a detour further inland where the new bridge over the Santa Maria River has been successful. The first parador on the new Baja highway was on this abandoned section (that's the abandoned Pemex and other building along the road to the La Pinta and Cielito Lindo).

The sign in question is at the southern junction of the newer and older Mex. 1 routes... Near Ejido Nuevo Odesia/ Pabellon trailer park.

[Edited on 3-8-2006 by David K]

Thanks Dk

BAJACAT - 3-8-2006 at 12:24 AM

They like to pick on the little guy:no::no::no::lol::lol: