BajaNomad

gray whales?

bajablue - 3-12-2006 at 10:02 AM

Heading down South this week for the first time past BOLA and I wanted to know if anyone knew if the gray whales will still be in GN and or San Ignacio? Also, any tips on where to stay in Mulege? There will be 5 of us, so we would prefer a villa or casita, somewhere on the water. Gracias..

bajajudy - 3-12-2006 at 10:12 AM

Yes they should still be in both places. GN is less painful to get to but San Ignacio is a better experience. If time is a factor, go to GN. Stay at Malarrimo, eat dinner there(killer farmed oysters), go out the next day(see Victor) and be on your way. If time is not a factor, go to San Ignacio, take a tour bus out to the lagoon. Probably a two night affair. as you will be tired when you return from the trip out and back and probably not feel like jumping in the car for a drive.
Have fun.
Kiss one for me! Whale that is.:biggrin:

pics

mulege marv - 3-12-2006 at 10:19 AM

the pictures in my post "the whales" were taken yesterday

bajablue - 3-12-2006 at 04:37 PM

Awesome, thanks Judy and Marv..

how is san ignacio

sylens - 3-12-2006 at 07:08 PM

better than malarrimo's at guerrero negro? details please!! :?:

have never been to either, but had heard malarrimo's is awesome...

thanks in advance.

bajajudy - 3-13-2006 at 07:44 AM

Both are awesome. Just a matter of how you want to do it. It has been beaten to death that the road to San Ignacio Lagoon is horrible. I personally think that the whale experience is better there but you may have to wade through the water to get to the panga either going or coming...very seldom both. If that bothers you go to GN. There you can get into the panga from the dock very easily.
Do a search....although I tried to find a thread about the road to no avail.
Just do it
Check out mulege marv's post on his trip. fabulous pix

cymeryss - 3-13-2006 at 12:22 PM

I am planning a trip to GN at the end of march, but am not sure if the whales will still be there? Is sobody familiar with the times these guys leave the lagoon? Would there be a big difference between the 25th of march or the 1st of april in terms of how many whales one can see?? Also, is there a way to scuba around these guys? Any tips on which panga to take for best experience?

ursidae69 - 3-13-2006 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cymeryss
I am planning a trip to GN at the end of march, but am not sure if the whales will still be there? Is sobody familiar with the times these guys leave the lagoon? Would there be a big difference between the 25th of march or the 1st of april in terms of how many whales one can see?? Also, is there a way to scuba around these guys? Any tips on which panga to take for best experience?

I was in Baja last year, the last week of March and we went to the whaling camp at GN and the morning group was just returning with no whales sighted. So we just decided to do other stuff, but I heard later that San Ignacio still had whales that week. The later in the season you go the odds are better in San Ignacio to see a whale. Just my opinion of course, only been whaling once and that was at San Ignacio, so I am biased for sure. If you go I hope you get to see some, it is a life-changing experience!

whales

mulege marv - 3-13-2006 at 02:34 PM

well this was my first trip, but there were no shortage of whales to see at san ignacio on saturday. im not familiar if they caravan or not, or just filter out :lol::lol:,

cymeryss - 3-13-2006 at 11:28 PM

Can anybody else add the the comments and suggestions if it is worth driving down to GN/or San Ignacio for whales last weekend of march/first weekend of april? Basically, I have a weekend trip to Big Bear set up on the 24th of march, and am willing to cancel it if my chances for seeing whales the next weekend are slim to none. Any help appreciated.

capt. mike - 3-14-2006 at 07:04 AM

whales till april there, no problem.

marla - 3-14-2006 at 01:15 PM

Yes it is worth going whale watching we just got back, there are still plenty of whales, particularly because they were late arriving this year. FYI, the road to San Ignacio Lagoon from town is wide and recently graded. You need a sturdy vehicle like a pickup SUV or van and it takes 2 hours to go 70 km from town. However, the road is in pretty good shape, just some washboards. We just had an awesome friendly whale encounter there that left us all in tears. If you don't want to drive yourself to the lagoon, Kuyima will take you out there for $120 a van. Guerrero Negro is easier, pavement on highway all the way to town, delicious dinner at Malarrimo, then you can be taken out to the whales, but you are unlikely to have a friendly whale encounter. It is HIGH whale watching season right now, I would make reservations for both the whale watch and lodging at either place. We saw quite a few people turned away for lodging in San Ignacio. And Malarrimo fills up, too.