BajaNomad

Internet in San Felipe

tigerdog - 3-12-2006 at 01:55 PM

Is there any way to get a good Internet connection at El Dorado Ranch besides installing a satellite system at a house? I'm just not really pleased with the performance of satellite Internet connections I've experienced in the past...

Does Telnor have any kind of system that reaches out that far? :?:

Pompano - 3-12-2006 at 02:58 PM

No land lines, I take it? Then satellite is about your only shot right now. We have had zero issues with our DirecWay Internet for over 3 years now.
Cutting edge technology will give you another choice in a few months, I imagine. Keep a search going on that. I am learning of a few new tricks for roaming RV-Internet

Bueno suerte in any case.

bajalou - 3-12-2006 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
No land lines, I take it? Then satellite is about your only shot right now. We have had zero issues with our DirecWay Internet for over 3 years now.

Not quite right - Telnor telephones in this area are a wireless type phone and they have Prodigy Aire, DSL at 64 or 128kps I have the 64k subscription and my download speed regularly (for large files) is 1 med a minute - not the best but way ahead of dial-up. From talking to friends in town on land lines, this system has way less downtime. In the 1 1/2 year I've had it - only been down about 4 hours a couple times. Any other interuptions I never know about. Cost is about $15 for the phone line and $25 for the DSL. My bill in pesos is about 400 a month.

I'm happy!! :biggrin:

tigerdog - 3-12-2006 at 04:15 PM

Thanks bajalou. I'll look into that. Sounds like it might be the ticket.

Pompano - 3-12-2006 at 06:06 PM

Love this new age of evolving technologies! Buy it today and tomorrow it is obsolete. Anybody remember smoke signals? Morse code? Yelling?

meme - 3-12-2006 at 06:31 PM

I have Diecway & no problems! Personally I would not trade it for anything to do with Telnor at this point! Been there-done that!
meme

eetdrt88 - 3-12-2006 at 07:52 PM

Love this new age of evolving technologies! Buy it today and tomorrow it is obsolete. Anybody remember smoke signals? Morse code? Yelling? :lol::lol::lol::lol: how about 2 tin cans and some string...worked when we were kids

wornout - 3-13-2006 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerdog
Is there any way to get a good Internet connection at El Dorado Ranch besides installing a satellite system at a house? I'm just not really pleased with the performance of satellite Internet connections I've experienced in the past...

Does Telnor have any kind of system that reaches out that far? :?:

If you are going to be making a lot of phone calls and want to use SKYPE to keep the costs down, then Telnor DSL at $40 a month is the way to go. Both Lou and I can attest to that.

If you are going to want to use it here part time and elsewhere part time, and want to pay the bucks, then the satellite is the way to go. I really don't understand why the satellite prices have not come down! And remember, this route doesn't really work well with SKYPE.