BajaNomad

What's your favorite beverage, or c-cktail?

Gypsy Jan - 3-12-2006 at 09:48 PM

Things are little bit moribund around this part of the board discussion.

Let's toast those's who go before us and help them on with our good memories.

Then, let's celebrate the life that is still amongst the rest of us.

[Edited on 3-13-2006 by Gypsy Jan]

Diver - 3-12-2006 at 10:16 PM

GATORADE, preferably "orange" flavor, chilled and served in the original designer flasque.

Used to be a margy on-the-rocks with my "special" ingredients before the belly trolls got me. For certain hallowed occassions, the three-tiered margy fountain has been filled with sacrificial elixers and worshipped solemnly by all "mourners?".

bajajudy - 3-13-2006 at 07:08 AM

Pacifico....NADA MAS FINA

jimgrms - 3-13-2006 at 07:14 AM

If the can is cold and says cervaza it's mine

Bob and Susan - 3-13-2006 at 07:17 AM

bob=anything
susan=martini (shaken not stired)

Bruce R Leech - 3-13-2006 at 07:27 AM

Iced tea no sugar

woody with a view - 3-13-2006 at 07:45 AM

Quote:

If the can is cold and says cervaza it's mine

i like yer style jim. but sometimes the ice is all gone and the tienda is 45 miles back down the dirt road, so any can with the word cerveza has to do....

David K - 3-13-2006 at 08:44 AM

So many drinks... So little time!!!

Beers: Pacifico, XX Special Lager, and most other Mexican beers except Corona.

Hard stuff: Rum and Coke, Vodka and Cranberry-Grapefruit, Gran Centenario tequila

Don Alley - 3-13-2006 at 08:45 AM

I prefer rare, exotic drinks:

Cherry Coke or Cherry Pepsi, brought back from the USA, through checkpoints of thirsty army guys.
Dr. Pepper, usually from La Paz but I did find some at Arturo's in Loreto once.

Local Coke is OK but is it sweeter than USA Coke? Gets boring, though.
Fanta Fresca in the summer.

When it's really hot, Gatorade. Uvo is my favorite.

Pacifico, but not very often.

jimgrms - 3-13-2006 at 08:52 AM

Woody I leanned to carry c0/2 fire extinguishers with me they will chill a 6 pack real fast, but i can drink warm beer to

jimgrms - 3-13-2006 at 08:52 AM

Woody I leanned to carry c0/2 fire extinguishers with me they will chill a 6 pack real fast, but i can drink warm beer to

Paula - 3-13-2006 at 09:01 AM

Favorite? Havana Club Rum in a Cuba libre. But for a number ofreasons I don't drink that often.

Vino blanco generally, and a pacifico every now and then.

Pompano - 3-13-2006 at 10:07 AM

I asked Low-Tide Lolita next door for her favorites:

Her reply,

"Sex on the Beach?
Sex up Against the Wall?
I?ve tried both of these on the same night out.
Now I find these are also drinks?
I just thought they were being nice?."

[Edited on 3-13-2006 by Pompano]

Don Alley - 3-13-2006 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Favorite? Havana Club Rum in a Cuba libre. But for a number ofreasons I don't drink that often.

Vino blanco generally, and a pacifico every now and then.

Yep, Two Buck Chuck.

Say goodnight, Gracie.

elizabeth - 3-13-2006 at 11:29 AM

Favorite all around...Fresh limeade with or without a shot of herradura plata.

Other things for special occasions...like it's after 5 pm, or it's dinner time, or a friend comes by, or something needs toasting....
Nicaraguan Flor de Cana, Havana Club 7 yr old, a good Italian pinot grigio or California zinfandel.

Marinero - 3-13-2006 at 12:00 PM

A classic Martini. Chill the glass, swirl the vermouth in the cold glass and pour in gin from the freezer. Your choice of fruit. Lately I like green olive stuffed with blue cheese. (ok, so that isn't exactly classic)

;D

pellegrino

eetdrt88 - 3-13-2006 at 04:07 PM

this stuff used to make me gag when I was a kid,now I go thru bottles of it so fast one would think it gave some kind of euphoric high....which in fact it does,its in the bubbles:P:P

Hey Pompano,

Gypsy Jan - 3-13-2006 at 07:02 PM

Do you make those biscottis or buy them?

Have you tried the Tuscan custom of after-dinner dipping in Vin Santo?

Full disclosure:

I love my morning coffee; fresh roasted beans ground and brewed in our Capresso C1000 - it does the crema perfectly.

Two buck chuck - everyday stuff for the benefits that red wine contributes; especially the Gamay Beaujolais ("No! I'm not going to drink Merlot!").

Champagne, champagne, champagne!

Oso - 3-13-2006 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I asked Low-Tide Lolita next door for her favorites:

Her reply,

"Sex on the Beach?
Sex up Against the Wall?
I?ve tried both of these on the same night out.
Now I find these are also drinks?
I just thought they were being nice?."

[Edited on 3-13-2006 by Pompano]

Sounds like she would enjoy this one:

Mix equal amounts-
Sloe Gin
Southern Comfort
Orange juice

Serve over ice

Name?

"Slow Comfortable Screw"

(Just passing this along- I can't stand Southern Comfort. It's like cough syrup.)

Bob and Susan - 3-13-2006 at 08:28 PM

ummm southern comfort:o

Capt. George - 3-13-2006 at 08:40 PM

Kool-Aid and a spritz of diesel oil..

keeps me regular. capt g

tim40 - 3-13-2006 at 08:42 PM

Plomari Ouzo

bajalera - 3-13-2006 at 08:46 PM

Negra Modelo, and civilized Margaritas.

Margarita Slushies have become so popular that the old-fashioned kind has practically become extinct, but a bartender told me how to order one: "A Margarita in a Martini glass with two ice cubes." You don't need a straw to drink these, and they're never served with a silly little umbrella stuck in them.

Tomas Tierra - 3-13-2006 at 08:56 PM

Havana club is THE rum of choice...hard to get in the US.. Mt. gay rum close second, with tonic and lime thank you..

Paula, do you havea good source for Havana club in baja? I found it in Ensenada a few times but never consistently...

Corona with clamato before noon...yuuuum

Margarita's for me.

rogerj1 - 3-13-2006 at 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Havana club is THE rum of choice...hard to get in the US

Havana Club is illegal in the US along with other Cuban goodies like their fine cigars.

Why is it that Margarita's always taste so much better when drunk in Mexico?

Paula - 3-13-2006 at 10:00 PM

Tomas, I bought Havana Club at Cactus liquors in Loreto at Christmas time. Iwasn't looking for it but who could pass it up? I don't know if they carry it as a rule-- like anything here it comes and goes. If you love it it is always worth a glance anyplace you are shopping. I've seen it in Gigante in Oaxaca.

I almost never drink anything but wine or beer now, but once in a while I have half a shot of Havana Club with a few drops of lime, maybe a mint leaf or two, and a small pinch of sugar. Abbreviated mojito, takes you right to the source...

BornFisher - 3-13-2006 at 10:22 PM

Well my favorite words are "Buy Bill a beer"!!!
But like an endangered songbirds` song, that phrase is rarely heard!!!

The best beverage......

msawin - 3-13-2006 at 10:31 PM

In Baja Calif.....

The best is a margarita con sol... With our Tomas [at our tripui dinner] at the blender....The best.

Norte Calif.. a good hot cup of coffie.... ok, maybe a corona.

martin-o

"at the blender"?

bajalera - 3-13-2006 at 10:39 PM

Oh well. A Slushie Margarita is better than no Margarita, but I hope you'll skip the umbrella.

Bob H - 3-14-2006 at 10:00 AM

OH, since our vacation to Turkey a couple of years ago - a nice cold glass (or two) or Raki before bedtime. Yeah!

But, most of the time it's Gin and Diet Squirt over ice. Nice a smooth.

Bob H

vandenberg - 3-14-2006 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rogerj1
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Havana club is THE rum of choice...hard to get in the US

Havana Club is illegal in the US along with other Cuban goodies like their fine cigars.

vandenberg - 3-14-2006 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Roger
Do you mean,when you're drinking them in Mexico or when you're drunk in Mexico. Second one would make it easier to explain:P:P:P:P

JZ - 3-14-2006 at 12:15 PM

Red Bull and Vodka.

Taco de Baja - 3-14-2006 at 12:25 PM

Still one of my favorites. "Invented" by my dad decades ago, because it was easy to make in Baja. In fact we named them "Camping Drinks"

1.5-2 oz of Bacardi A?ejo Rum, Squirt, and a squeeze of lime, in the drink and around the rim of the cup/glass.

It was originally made with a soda called Wink, which is no longer made, but was apparently close to the taste of Squirt.

[Edited on 3-14-2006 by Taco de Baja]

Taco de Baja....boy, Wink takes me back..

Pompano - 3-14-2006 at 12:48 PM

We used to take this stuff with us on many a fishing and camping trip in Cananda a long time ago. At camp, my Dad would rarely put a little in his Seagrams VO....I put Smirnoff in mine regulary.

Didn't much matter

John M - 3-14-2006 at 01:03 PM

Horrid wind storm for two full days at Gonzaga Bay and Rancho Grande, ten years ago! Still this trip has loads of memories. The favorites at the bar - under the palapa, tarps taking the brunt of the wind - margarita/Gin-tonics/Sol - Luckily the little store that was there didn't run out of ice.

John M

JZ - 3-14-2006 at 02:11 PM

Last trip down we were drinking Propel and Vodka. No sugar, carbonation, or caffeine. Taste pretty good. Better than Cranberry and Vodka in my opinion.

Neal Johns - 3-14-2006 at 02:46 PM

Mountain Dew! Keeps you young, look at my picture on the left. ;D;D;D

Neal Johns - 3-14-2006 at 02:48 PM

I can't get Gramps (John M) to try it. He looks terrible, poor old guy.:o

rpleger - 3-15-2006 at 01:01 PM

I still like my root beer float, blended.

bancoduo - 3-15-2006 at 01:59 PM

I was weaned on Mexicali beer. Too bad Mexicali no mas. Brandy #1 hard booze in Mexico:no::(:mad:

Mexicali Cerveza: Yes!

David K - 3-15-2006 at 06:07 PM

I drink Mexicali every time we eat at Half Way House... It is really great brew... comes out of Tecate now, where the water is MUCH cleaner!

eetdrt88 - 3-15-2006 at 06:28 PM

i find the reposado to be quite good,but the anejo is definitely my favorite!!!

Oso - 3-15-2006 at 06:56 PM

Day after tomorrow is both payday and St. Patrick's day, a terrible dangerous combination for an Irishman. (I'm a Neal on Mom's side) I've laid in Guiness Stout, Bushmill's (couldn't find Power's here) and Bailey's for the ladies or in case Gerald Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzgerald show up. Sick and tired of Corned beef and cabbage, so trying to find some mutton for an authentic stew.

Erin go braless! And may you all reach heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead!:spingrin:

elgatoloco - 3-15-2006 at 06:59 PM

Decisions, decisions

Nope!

Al G - 3-15-2006 at 10:16 PM

My mama always said: if'en ya are... best never act so!
She also said:
Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Make mine Real Hacienda:saint:

[Edited on 3-16-2006 by Al G]

bancoduo - 3-16-2006 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I drink Mexicali every time we eat at Half Way House... It is really great brew... comes out of Tecate now, where the water is MUCH cleaner!
The new Mexicali is good,but it can't compare to the old one made with dirty water:fire::fire::tumble:The halfway house is my favorite place to eat and drink. Spent many hours there. The best thing about it is that no idiot tried to remodel it.:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

[Edited on 3-16-2006 by bancoduo]

Martyman - 3-16-2006 at 04:45 PM

Bajagarita-A nice anejo or reposado with a slight squeeze of limon. Its a sipping drink-no shooters. after a couple skip the lime

shari - 3-28-2006 at 06:49 PM

Hola compa?eros...my favorite and most unique drink in the baja is a Pitaya Margarita...I like mine blended with ice...just limes, squeeze an orange, sugar and those magical gorgeous red juicy pitayas....sabrosa!

Cincodemayo - 3-28-2006 at 07:12 PM

Metaxa Ouzo
Harvey Wallbanger
Beer

Not necessarily in that order....

[Edited on 3-29-2006 by Cincodemayo]

bajarich - 3-29-2006 at 08:49 AM

A cerveza con limon or a Margaita on any beach in Baja!

Natalie Ann - 3-29-2006 at 10:23 AM

Damiana, straight or mixed with Herradura tequila for one yummy margarita.
As for cerveza, it has to be Negra Modelo.

Lordy, now I'm wanting a drink and it's not even mid-morning!:no:

4baja - 3-29-2006 at 08:20 PM

guiness draught/ tequilla sunrise. :bounce::bounce::o:coolup:

Assists with the mood of Pompano's first post here

Baja Bernie - 3-31-2006 at 09:07 AM

Damiana Tequila Liqueur
Damiana Liqueur is a light herbal based liqueur from Mexico. It's made with the Damiana herb, a natural aphrodisiac that grows in Baja California, Mexico. It has great mixability and tastes great as a shooter. The bottle is shaped like a pregnant woman and is modeled after the Incan God of Fertility. The Damiana Margarita is very popular in the Los Cabos area of Mexico and the original margarita was made with Damiana Liqueur.

Could the growth of this herb explain why so many gringo's settled in Baja Sur? I'm told it makes a great tea.

backninedan - 3-31-2006 at 09:38 AM

Pepto Bismol and vodka

Its a phillips screwdriver

Natalie Ann - 3-31-2006 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Damiana Tequila Liqueur
The bottle is shaped like a pregnant woman and is modeled after the Incan God of Fertility.

Bernie - Because of the shape of the bottle, many of us refer to Damiana as "The Mother". :)

bajalera - 3-31-2006 at 01:14 PM

Great for after-dinner sipping and other times as well: Agavero, a liqueur made with damiana and tequila. Really yummy!

bajajudy - 3-31-2006 at 01:18 PM

Lera
You are right on that one. Isnt that a delicious drink? There is a store in San Jose, Antigua Los Cabos, and they have a sipping room. There I tried a tequila made with each of the following: quince, granada, almond and coffee. All were great but I like the Damiana the best.
CHEERS

terrybird - 4-1-2006 at 03:26 PM

Right now I would drink anything to be there..;D

bajabound2005 - 4-1-2006 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinero
A classic Martini. Chill the glass, swirl the vermouth in the cold glass and pour in gin from the freezer. Your choice of fruit. Lately I like green olive stuffed with blue cheese. (ok, so that isn't exactly classic)

;D

Oh, yes, indeedy! Bombay Sapphire is the gin and I go for the lemon twist, no olive:bounce: