BajaNomad

What's a good gift for your capt. and crew?

Craveman - 3-13-2006 at 09:44 PM

I going fishing to Los Barriles in April for the third straight year. Last year I brought down some T-shirts as gifts for our crew. I was wondering what else would make a good gift or what would be considered a hot item. Some of the guys do a great job on your charter and I'd like to reward them with something appreciated.

Marinero - 3-13-2006 at 09:52 PM

Besides for the propina, I have, at times, asked whoever was in charge of boats for a way to send stuff from the states and an idea of what they could use, but not available locally. True, Costco and Home Depot seems to have ended that. But asking around as to what is needed and appreciated seems to work. It is refreshing that the answer is not always money.:bounce:

BornFisher - 3-13-2006 at 10:03 PM

Here`s a great idea BUTTTTT................... looks like they are sold out and you`ll have to back order (maybe good for next year?).

http://shop.mlb.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=2194492&am...

Frank - 3-13-2006 at 10:11 PM

The crews go nuts over fishing shorts and polarized sunglasses. Where are you staying?

Pompano - 3-13-2006 at 10:32 PM

Broadbrim-long-billed caps, polarized sunglasses, all cotton T's, one-time cameras, dramamine....

Diver - 3-13-2006 at 10:38 PM

It's always a good idea to buy extra T-shirts or hats at each place you go to give out on your next trip to a different location.

Knives or leathermen.

And of course, CASH.

Craveman - 3-13-2006 at 11:13 PM

Thanks for your ideas, keep em coming. Staying at Playa del Sol. I've heard anything with American logos are good items. I found in a catalog T-shirts that have catch flags on them. Actually I want a couple of them myself. A yellow dorado and a white tuna might be impressive to future fishermen. A leatherman is a real good idea.
Also, what is the max amount of Pacificos should you let the crew have?

Marinero - 3-13-2006 at 11:42 PM

A good captain will limit himself and the deckhand. Many will not drink while they fish. However, if either is into the cerveza too much, it it a problem YOU must deal with. Cut it off!

Bill

Packoderm - 3-14-2006 at 12:10 AM

Fishing crew have often marveled when I zip of the legs off my zip off pants.

Not too much beer for the deckhands....Wait till you dock.

Pompano - 3-14-2006 at 12:14 AM

...too much might just ruin your day.

And a really good gift might be a hefty pair of cutters...for when this happens!

[Edited on 3-14-2006 by Pompano]

Bob and Susan - 3-14-2006 at 04:50 AM

a EXCELLENT knife for cutting the fish...

take a look at a real fishermans knife...old

Capt. George - 3-14-2006 at 06:55 AM

Beer/Alchohol for the crew...nada, zip, zero! Return to the dock, another story....You're recreating, they're working and should be responsible for your safe return...

Been a charter captain 25 years NO ALCOHOL! Limited amount for guests.

can be much wortse then drinking and driving..

Besides all the "propina", give them some respect, and you'll get it back tenfold.

capt. g

VERY good advice, Capt. George.....

Pompano - 3-14-2006 at 07:28 AM

I love a good laugh and make fun of drinking from time to time, but while I may enjoy a refreshing c-cktail AFTER a full day's fishing, I never tip one WHILE operating a boat. It's something we were all taught by our parents, mentors, or instructors for good reason. I have seen some grisly sights involving poor judgement due to alcohol on boats...something I don't care to subject myself or my crewmates to. Not preaching, just saying it makes good sense and increases your ability, fun and success.

Back on the deckhand rewards...these are handy and can't sink if dropped overboard.

Xtools 9" Bullnose Floating Pliers w/Cutters and Laynard
Model: 400001...about $30. For that deckhand who did you a real favor.

Bob and Susan - 3-14-2006 at 07:43 AM

I like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/XTOOLS-FLOATING-6-5-BULLNOSE-PLIERS_W0QQ...

About $15 with shipping

Bruce R Leech - 3-14-2006 at 07:44 AM

leathermen will do that job.

I think the leathermen tool is an excellent gift. but don't get the knock offs.

Al G - 3-14-2006 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craveman
I going fishing to Los Barriles in April for the third straight year. Last year I brought down some T-shirts as gifts for our crew. I was wondering what else would make a good gift or what would be considered a hot item. Some of the guys do a great job on your charter and I'd like to reward them with something appreciated.

When are you going to be in Los Barriles? I will be there the 21st to the 28th. Swap fishing stories.

Of course...my personal all-time favorite reward...

Pompano - 3-14-2006 at 09:34 AM

Banana cream pie! That deckhand will become your best buddy, believe me!

Diver - 3-14-2006 at 09:57 AM

Mmmmmmm....

I bet that a few choice steaks from the US would amaze the locals ! :light:

Heck...Diver, if you are giving out steaks....

Pompano - 3-14-2006 at 12:12 PM

I volunteer for duty as deckhand. Make mine a Kobe, okay?

Bajachief - 3-14-2006 at 12:38 PM

Don't forget the Bait Guys! I always bring down T-shirts or hats that I get from my vendors or at golf tournaments and we give them to the Bait guys right as we pull up to the bait boats. I "think" we might just get a little more bait or some of the better Mack's.
They always seem to appreciate it. Top choice in hats has been a Camo pattern. I evern saw on of my hats a year later.
Chief

Diver - 3-14-2006 at 01:03 PM

Kobe's will do fine. I like the thick filets wrapped in bacon......sitting next to a monster shrimp wrapped in bacon......garlic mashed's........Now I'm hungry !

I was kinda looking forward to sampling Felipa's famous pies...maybe next time. Pam can make some mean pies and pastries as well.

The only time Zack has ever eaten fish and liked it, was dinner at your place ! That speaks volumes for Felipa's cooking ! No wonder you have a hard time with the diet !

Pablo - 3-14-2006 at 02:51 PM

Smoked ham or a good quality canned ham. I have traded canned hams in Mexico for many years, mostly for seafood, but also rent, taxi rides and various other items. :cool:

Craveman - 3-17-2006 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
When are you going to be in Los Barriles? I will be there the 21st to the 28th. Swap fishing stories.

Going down April 10 - 16.

I lucked out and met Chuckie Von Wormer at the Salt Lake City Sportman's Show yesterday. He said captains love lures, esp. ones that work. Like myself, you can ever have to many lures. I asked about giving away fish and he said that you can only give away what they can eat. No fish can be sold. Hats for the bait guys is another good idea.

I checked if there are any sardinas he said they're starting to showup. Last year there was none so the light tackle I brought was useless. I love to live bait them tuna.

Where do I get those banana cream pies?

Pompano - 3-17-2006 at 12:24 PM

If thinking lures...then think Mirrolures and Knife-Jigs. VERY HOT items.

Tomas Tierra - 3-18-2006 at 09:39 AM

Beef jerky always seems to be a hot item....Also good trailmix...TT