BajaNomad

Weighty question

Bruce R Leech - 3-16-2006 at 12:26 PM

I wouldn't try to support the weight of the pila with your roof, although it sounds like it is strong. it would be better to build a new support for your pila frome the ground up. you could still have it over the roof.

Diver - 3-16-2006 at 12:30 PM

What are the spans of the 2x12's ?
Can you put the pila near an outside wall or outside corner?
In a location where the joists do not load a window header or lintel ?
1/2" osb on the roof ??

bajatracker - 3-16-2006 at 01:49 PM

frank

I think it will work fine just put it to the outside corner like we have ours If you want to make sure put a 4x4 post that lines up with your corner shelves and a small 4x6 beam underneath. My bath/laundry block has no rebar or concrete in cells, granted only 6 foot span but 370 gallons on it.
not bad so far and with stood 6.7 earthquake at Christmas. Just don't let Mcgill get on roof and fill for you.

Water Tank Weight

MrBillM - 3-16-2006 at 05:54 PM

Most of the original water tanks here in Percebu are (approx) 500 gallon and are set on 10 x 10 storage buildings with brick walls and 2 x 6 wood beams set at 12-16 " o.c. Mine has a concrete roof. There are such setups that are 30 years old or more and NONE have ever failed.

4baja - 3-17-2006 at 07:43 AM

come on baja tracker we that own toyotas have to stick together:lol: we like our beer!!!!!:bounce::coolup:

bajatracker - 3-17-2006 at 10:32 AM

Soulpatch wasn't refering to mcgills recycled beer but rather him being on the roof while he was filling your tank with water.

Phil

[Edited on 3-17-2006 by bajatracker]

Filling The Tank

MrBillM - 3-17-2006 at 10:51 AM

Back in 1982 when my tank first went up, the Campo water truck was an OLD Army Surplus Tanker Truck in bad repair, including NO brakes. Whenever they drove onto my lot to fill the tank, the driver would turn off the engine at the last moment and pop the clutch to bring the truck to a halt. On one such occasion, he stopped within a couple of inches of my storage building. On the next trip down I brought enough large PVC to extend the fill out to the road. After I did so, my neighbors followed suit.