BajaNomad

Random roadside questions

Gypsy Jan - 3-21-2006 at 08:14 PM

Tejuino
In la linea (the border line) in TJ, vendors sell "Tejuino, estila Jalisco, Los Cherrys". Well, I understand that the second part means "Jalisco style" (a state in Mexico), but I can't find a definition for Tejuino or why the phrase "Los Cherrys" is always added. What the vendors are selling appears to be a liquid refreshment.

Como que no
There is a large building in TJ with this signage. I think it means "Why not?", but I can't find it in a dictionary.

Hospital Angeles (the new big hospital in TJ that plans on taking American retirees and their insurance) has a big billboard overlooking la linea that says in part (I couldn't find a pen to write it down) "...late es mas mejor en este lado de la linea." I get the idea of all of the last part of the sentence, , i.e., "is much better on this side of the border."but don't understand the verb command.

All info and suggestions to improve my work on understanding Spanish are welcomed and thanked in advance.

bajajudy - 3-22-2006 at 07:54 AM

Tejuino is indeed a drink made with maiz. I tried it in Guadalajara and didnt care for it but everyone there drinks it. Dont know about Los Cherrys.

Oso - 3-22-2006 at 08:29 AM

"Why not" is good and you got as much of the hospital sign as I can translate not knowing what the first part was.

Oso - 3-23-2006 at 05:34 PM

Although I've heard como que no used synonymously with porque no, Braulio's take is a bit more accurate. There is also a usage that would be equivalent to "How could I refuse?" or "Fer shur, Dude." A lot depends on context, emphasis and tone of voice.

If someone will report back on the hospital sign, one or the other of us will give it a shot. Could the first part have been "Relajate" (relax)?

Thank you Oso & Braulio

Gypsy Jan - 3-23-2006 at 08:06 PM

...you are dedicated lexicographers & linguists.

Concerning the Hospital Angeles billboard, the word "late" is definitely a freestanding verb command. I've looked through my spanish dictionary and the closest fitting infinitive is "leer".

I guess I need to supply you two scholars with the first words of the sentence, context being everything, and I will, but I'm not going north again until the first of April.

Braulio, in regards to "Como Que No", you are absolutely right, the meaning of the nightclub's name is what I was asking about.

Thanks for the info, I love exploring and understanding all of Baja, urban and rural.