BajaNomad

Mulege Folks or ???????

Baja Bernie - 4-1-2006 at 07:46 PM

I am looking for any information I can find on a Doctor Luis Sui Qui a Chinese man who was 97 in 1966 (so I suppose he has now passed away). He moved into the Mulege area in the 1920's--lived 14 miles out of town and ventured into town to treat his patients with herbal medicines that he found in the area.

Any help would be appreciated.

bancoduo - 4-1-2006 at 08:00 PM

I think he was run over by a drunk gringo in front of Hussongs bar in 68. He was speeding in a Corvette.:no::no::no::no::no::(:(

Paula - 4-1-2006 at 09:03 PM

Bernie,
I googled "doctor luis sui qui mulege", and came up with Sam Hicks' book "Desert Plants and People". I'm so computer un-savvy that I don't know how to include the link in this post-- my apologies. The google link to the book contains mention and a photo of the doctor, and info on other herbalists of Baja-- Inez Romero, and Florentine Romero Jerardo. There is much interesting info on plants in the book.

I know it is likely that you already know of the book, but just in case....

Thanks Paula

Baja Bernie - 4-1-2006 at 10:09 PM

I really appreciate your help but that is the book where I first heard of the guy.

Has to be a more interesting story than just getting run over by a drunk gringo.:lol::lol::lol:

Paula - 4-2-2006 at 08:53 AM

Bernie,
I just wanted to bury the drunk gringo post-- I thought it was mean. I'm glad to have spent some time on this last night, as the book was really interesting. As I was typing I was thinking That you already knew of it.

vandenberg - 4-2-2006 at 09:15 AM

Bancoduo is about as funny as a crutch.

Paula

Baja Bernie - 4-2-2006 at 09:28 AM

Some interesting stuff in that book--written by a guy who was at Erle Stanly Gardners side during almost all of his exploration of Baja.

Vandenberg,

That other post is just Corvette envy!

KAT54 - 4-3-2006 at 07:06 AM

Bernie, bancoudo is 12 years old.

Not a problem

Baja Bernie - 4-3-2006 at 02:48 PM

I wondered why someone would be talking about a Vette in Baja.
Tell us a little more about the young man--he/she is apparently showing an interest in the good things in life--Baja.--at 12 and spelling Hussongs correct--that beats a lot of 'us' older folks on this board.:bounce::bounce::bounce: