BajaNomad

Punta Canoas-windsurfing

bajawindsurfer - 4-2-2006 at 01:53 AM

Hey, I've been windsurfing to Pt San Carlos for several years and have always been curious about Punta Canoas. I looks like a great point, now....is there any wind during the spring. Thanks.

Tomas Tierra - 4-2-2006 at 09:53 AM

Wind surfer...
I'm Sure it blows like stink there in the spring!! BUT..you will never equal the venturi created by San carlos mesa..AND, I would immagine that the headland at the point at Canoas would sort of tweak the wind a bit as you
ride the waves..It's a big sort of cliff that comes strait up out of the water maybe 3 to 4 hundred feet..usually stays rather calm/protected behind the cliff..that's why its a good surf spot..
OH wait..Are you looking to ride the wave? or are you just looking to go slolam sailing??

Plus the road t San Carlos is much easier to navigate..

bajawindsurfer - 4-2-2006 at 01:22 PM

We're wave a sailing crew and it sounds like the cliff is a bit too high for consisten wind on the inside. Do you have any photos?

Are there any other points south, i.e. Pueto Canoas, down to Punta Blanco that might be more sailable with a bit more exposure, ie. Less cliff more beach?

Eric

woody with a view - 4-2-2006 at 01:33 PM

both coasts are do-able. but san carlos is pretty much the windiest spot for sails.

Tomas Tierra - 4-2-2006 at 01:33 PM

THe farhter south you get, the off shore the wind gets..Sure there are alot of spots that will have thier day, but there aint no where in the WORLD like San Carlos if your a wave sailor..you don't like it there or just looking around??

I am virtually computer illiterate..that said scanning and posting a photo of canoas would take me all day!! But If I figure it out...look out everybody I will fill the photo section!