BajaNomad

Road to Gonzaga?

Barney - 11-12-2003 at 04:46 PM

I am planning a trip to Baja in Feb. I would like to make a side trip to Gonzaga Bay for a day. Can anybody tell me where the turn off is and what I should expect as far as road conditions are concerned?
We have a four wheele drive F-350 diesel. I will be towing a fifth wheele, but don't plan on taking it down dirt roads. Is there any place near the turn off that I can leave it for a day and not worry about it? We will be traveling Hwy 1.
All info is greatly apprieciated. Barney

Mike Humfreville - 11-12-2003 at 04:59 PM

You could leave the trailer at either of the Grosso family ranches near the turn-off for Gonzaga at Laguna Chapala. From there it's an hour or two run to Gonzaga. While I have never entrusted either of those two ranches with personal equipment, I have met them many times and have left trailers, boats and vehicles at many other remote Baja ranches and never experienced a problem. Damn near every rural property owner in Baja can be trusted on his/her word.

Incidentally, the road from Chapala to Gonzaga took a few hits from this falls' huricanes. The worst is just a mile or so in from Chapala. Take care and let us know how it went.

Barney - 11-12-2003 at 07:47 PM

Mike, Thank you for the info. Saw you're Picture on a sight somewhere. Barney