BajaNomad

Making good decisions in Baja

Bruce R Leech - 4-14-2006 at 07:00 PM

being able to make a good decision comes from having many years of experience.

most experience comes from many years of Bad decisions:rolleyes:

DanO - 4-14-2006 at 07:11 PM

Hey, I'm still perfectly capable of making bad decisions! How about this -- I needed to change a flat for a spare last week on a rocky patch and needed something flat and stable as a base for the jack. Usually I have a piece of 2x6 in the truck for this purpose, but some knucklehead (me) went off and used it to mount a solar charged light on the house. So what do I scrounge up? A couple of pieces of tile (seemed sturdy at the time, but I was in a hurry, dammit). As luck would have it, the tile disintegrated just after I'd slipped the spare on and had hand tightened one lug nut, so disaster was averted. Am I smarter now? We'll find out next time!

bajalera - 4-15-2006 at 10:10 AM

Okay, Bruce, but having many years of experience doesn't guarantee that someone will make good decisions.

bajarich - 4-15-2006 at 10:23 AM

Experience is largely what kills mountain climbers. They have years of experience but take something for granted that they have done a thousand times and it's adios. They still have to pay attention to details.

jerry - 4-15-2006 at 11:20 AM

its just like vagas you gotta win more then you loose

not to be said you have to make a good desision more offten then a bad one just that the total outcomes has to be better

thus the end result + --

and that doesnt really count cause it aint over yet if your still breathing injoy the ride
have a good one jerry

jerry - 4-15-2006 at 11:23 AM

P.S. i think the inability of making a desision is a lot worse

jerry

Pompano - 4-15-2006 at 11:57 AM

I can tell you with great certainty that you should never seek the advice of a panjandrum.

DanO - 4-15-2006 at 11:57 AM

The experience of mountain climbers leading to their deaths is similar to the fact that the majority of automobile accidents occur within a mile of the drivers' homes. You drive the same route so many times, it becomes second nature and you get careless. And it's not just accidents that occur as a result. The most irritating example of this sort of carelessness was one day last year when I pulled out of my driveway, drove around the corner and was putting on my seatbelt in the middle of the next block when a cop pulled me over: "Sir, that seatbelt should've been buckled before you put your truck in gear." Fortunately, my wife still takes the cake for what may be the lamest ticket ever -- blowing the stop sign in front of the police station on the north end of Ensenada. They just waved her in from the steps in front.

Bruce R Leech - 4-15-2006 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
P.S. i think the inability of making a desision is a lot worse

jerry

you are right Jerry the inability of making a decision is the worst thing a person can have. we have all seen people with this affliction and it is sad indeed.

backninedan - 4-15-2006 at 12:34 PM

I have two opinions on this subject but can decide which one to use.

decisions....decisions!

Pompano - 4-15-2006 at 12:54 PM

..........can anyone relate to this?

jerry - 4-15-2006 at 02:10 PM

Like I allways say ---------sometimes
I dont know ---know what i mean??

Oso - 4-15-2006 at 04:01 PM

Indecision is the key to flexibility.

Paula - 4-15-2006 at 04:57 PM

I can't even decide whether to post on this thread or not:?::saint:

Decision or indecision?

Sharksbaja - 4-15-2006 at 06:07 PM

You decide!

Good Ideas!

Marinero - 4-15-2006 at 06:11 PM

1. Speed limits in Mexico rarely, if ever, should be exceeded. Sure, it may look okay, but the roads are unforegiving;
2. Traffic signs and signals ought to be obeyed, even if the locals don't. Possible exception: In La Paz, stop signs are pretty much "yield" signs and traffic lights are optional. Try to get the pace of what the locals do in traffic and go with the flow. Otherwise, follow the rules. One way streets are not always marked. Look for the direction the parked cars are headed for a clue.

Paula - 4-15-2006 at 06:59 PM

Panjandrum?

what's that mean?

Bruce R Leech - 4-15-2006 at 07:07 PM

Word of the Day for Tuesday November 23, 2004
panjandrum \pan-JAN-druhm\, noun:
An important personage or pretentious official.

Needless to say, when governors and ministers and the panjandrums of British public life asked these appointed advisers and those from whose ranks they were largely drawn for their views on democratic development, they gave the answers that might have been expected.
-- Christopher Patten, East and West

And so I have appointed myself the chairman, High Panjandrum, Grand Inquisitor -- and sole member -- of a grievance committee of my own making.
-- Alan K. Simpson, Right in the Old Gazoo

bajaguy - 4-15-2006 at 07:49 PM

One should adopt the "Gumby Principle"......be flexible

Sharksbaja - 4-15-2006 at 08:01 PM

Word of the Day
Actually, it was Bill O'Riellys' "word of the day, yesterday" :lol:

Bruce R Leech - 4-15-2006 at 08:42 PM

now you know where Bill O'Rielly gets them. he just thinks he is smart:moon:

Pompano - 4-15-2006 at 09:23 PM

People are getting fair and balanced news, I see. Makes one want to pervulgate some patavinity of Mulege, although having paraskevidekatriaphobia I cannot work at those times...and I am no parisologist, and certainly not a companion of panjandrums.

huh?????

Tomas Tierra - 4-15-2006 at 09:30 PM

Surely those words don't come out of your tackle box!:?::?::lol::lol::lol:

Yes...Tomas...they do.

Pompano - 4-15-2006 at 10:00 PM

But mostly only I or the fish can hear them.

'Certain' fish are almost suicidal to get closer to....the Voices....

Paula - 4-16-2006 at 07:52 AM

Pompano, your fish need a more complete dictionary-- They're overusing the "p" pages!

Don Alley - 4-16-2006 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Pompano, your fish need a more complete dictionary-- They're overusing the "p" pages!

They're not fish, they are phish.

Paula - 4-16-2006 at 08:01 AM

positive....

Okay, okay...then I will..

Pompano - 4-16-2006 at 08:39 AM

...Not be overcome as a Abderian, nor a Balatron...and hopefully not a Cacogen, although the recent developments at Loreto gives me another C as in Cacohydorphobia.

Paula - 4-16-2006 at 09:26 AM

Dang !!!!

Pompano - 4-16-2006 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Dang !!!!

as in 'D'....that's the spirit!

Paula - 4-16-2006 at 09:42 AM

Eek! I have to cook the flippin' turkey!

Gadzooks-- 19 letters remain....

[Edited on 4-16-2006 by Paula]

woody with a view - 4-16-2006 at 09:42 AM

usually the best decision is to "go" to baja. usually made after much indecision as to when to launch and where to land...

Quote:

Speed limits in Mexico rarely, if ever, should be exceeded. Sure, it may look okay, but the roads are unforegiving;

it always makes me double check my speedo whilst traversing the central desert on those long staight-aways when the sign says 60 kph:rolleyes:.

I made it up to 'F'...and is in FEAR...MY FEAR!

Pompano - 4-16-2006 at 09:44 AM

whoof...

Diver - 4-16-2006 at 09:57 AM

" 5 MINUTES IN A BATH WITH JANET RENO "

Takes care of "G" for gross and "H" for hideous all by herself. :barf:

Can you spell "I"mpotent ?? :no:

bajalera - 4-16-2006 at 10:57 AM

Pomp, where did you get that tackle box? I could sure use one like that.