BajaNomad

Beer

meme - 4-19-2006 at 04:39 PM

Sorry to say I got bad news today! Price of beer here in San Felipe went up to $13.50 a case. That's like 20 bottles here!:(:(:(:(

paul r - 4-19-2006 at 04:56 PM

wow... now this IS muy impotante!!!!..... who cares about the damn gas prices!!!!... buena suerta meme

thebajarunner - 4-19-2006 at 05:00 PM

This is no doubt due to the fact that our gang of NorCal Baja Boyz have just returned from the annual 10 day trek.
The shortage, due to their excessive consumption, is no doubt rippling through the economy, even as we sit here.
The #1 goal of "The Boyz" has always been to 'drink Baja dry'
Perhaps this time they succeeded!

Don Alley - 4-19-2006 at 05:59 PM

In four days over the Semana Santa holiday, Loreto people bought 75,000 Tecate beers...A new record for Loreto.

It's a boom town!:lol:

Diver - 4-19-2006 at 07:00 PM

I remember the 1972 Playboy college review. They rated schools for "partying capacity'. They footnoted the whole thing by saying that they had only rated the amature party schools; not included were Arizona State and University of Wyoming which were considered "professional" party schools.

I went to Wyoming :biggrin:

But you guys keep on trying ! :lol:

Bob H - 4-19-2006 at 07:30 PM

That's only 67-cents a beer! Still not bad.
Bob H

PabloS - 4-19-2006 at 10:30 PM

I remember when a case of 20 Corona's was 4.50 US, way back when in SF.:wow::wow::wow::bounce:

Sharksbaja - 4-20-2006 at 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
In four days over the Semana Santa holiday, Loreto people bought 75,000 Tecate beers...A new record for Loreto.

It's a boom town!:lol:

Semana Santa Alcoholiday:lol:

[Edited on 4-20-2006 by Sharksbaja]

bajalou - 4-20-2006 at 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
That's only 67-cents a beer! Still not bad.
Bob H

But remember, they only contain 325ml of beer.

burro bob - 4-20-2006 at 12:34 PM

Caguamas are 940 ml. Caguamas are still only 16 pesos, unless you go to the Vistal al Mar, where you get them for a special gringo price of 17 pesos.
I agree with paul r " who cares about the damn gas price". The price of beer affects me a whole lot more than the price of gas.
burro bob

In 1955------------

Barry A. - 4-20-2006 at 02:11 PM

------on the beach at San Carlos Bay, Sonora, my friends and I paid 11 cents USA each for Carta Blanca beers. By the way, this was at a Semana Santa Mexican party attended by only Mexican ranchers, and their families (and the two of us), and there were absolutely no buildings anywhere around the bay at that time----------simply beautiful!!!!!

Bob H - 4-20-2006 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
1955 ------on the beach at San Carlos Bay, Sonora, my friends and I paid 11 cents USA each for Carta Blanca beers. By the way, this was at a Semana Santa Mexican party attended by only Mexican ranchers, and their families (and the two of us), and there were absolutely no buildings anywhere around the bay at that time----------simply beautiful!!!!!

I bet it WAS beautiful. In 1955 I was in kindergarten so didn't think much about beer then.

I wonder what Mulege was like in 1955? Or Loreto or La Paz or Cabo?

Bob H

San Felipe was the farthest south I got in 1955-----

Barry A. - 4-20-2006 at 02:40 PM

-------and it was neat!!! No pavement, town was sleepy and dusty, and only about 6 blocks wide back from the beach. We camped within walking distance of downtown behind some huge dunes, with the gulf just on the other side of the dunes. There was nothing but more dunes and salt flats south of us for as far as I could see. A kilo of fresh shrimp was $2.80 US. If there was any police in the town we did not see them. It was like the wild west in say, 1880, and boy did we have fun there, as did the Mexican fishermen we became friends with. I was 17 then.

wornout - 4-20-2006 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by meme
....Price of beer here in San Felipe went up to $13.50 a case. ....:(:(:(:(

$13.50, when did this happen? Probably at the same time they said I was over the hill and I didn't even see a hill.

Oh well, below is more of the good ole dazeeeee.....

Bob H - 4-20-2006 at 05:23 PM

Price of anything... always goes up... who would'a ever thunk that my house in CA purchased in 1994 for under $200K would be worth in excess of $800K today. Everything is relative! 67-cents for a Baja beer is OK in my mind!
Bob H :bounce:

meme - 4-21-2006 at 02:07 PM

The main problem will be that it (beer) will likly go up per bottle in the bars too!!!:(:(:(:( Ya THINK???:?::?:

Cincodemayo - 4-21-2006 at 02:20 PM

Well dang...I remember at the first Mc Donalds in Downey you could get a cheeseburger and fries for 15 cents....1960's. Late 70's Cabo San Lucas case of Coronas were 2.50...the return bottle deposit was 5.00. Gas was 33 cents a gallon and I could fill my VW for 3.00. Those days are asta la vista.

What Price Increase ??

MrBillM - 4-21-2006 at 05:19 PM

This a.m. I bought (3) cases of Corona Extra at the Distributor across from the Miramar Bar (next to Mercado Baja) and the price was 125 pesos por caja, the same as the last few months. Maybe the increase was some Spring Break Gouging. Thankfully, gasoline was also the usual April price rather than the 8.27/8.80 pesos por litro last weekend in Mexicali.

I,too, remember 15 cent MacDonalds hamburgers. Heck, I remember burgers at 10 cents, 12 for a dollar all over town. I also remember not having that dollar at times. When I was a young surfer living in Manhattan Beach, beer was $1.05 for a sixpack. Coke was more expensive. We were really put out when it went to $1.25. When I married my second wife, Ground Chuck was 49 cents per pound in the supermarket, BUT we waited until it went on sale for 29 cents to buy it. Like a friend of mine once said, "I remember not being able to even think about buying a steak when I was young and now I could eat Steak every night if I felt like it".

BornFisher - 4-22-2006 at 03:49 PM

I paid $14 for a case of Pacificos (20) from the distributor just north of Gaviotas on Tuesday. But today I paid $9.99 for 18 buds at Albertsons in Encinitas. Actually make that $19.98 for 36 buds (I can`t pass up a beer bargain!). :tumble:

meme - 4-22-2006 at 04:15 PM

Well, my report came thru Kelly's Driving Range as that's what someone there had just that day paid for a case. Maybe it's not that price ALL of the time!???:biggrin::biggrin:
I did buy a csae of Micalobe at duty Free yesterday for $12.99 tho!!!!!:tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble: Plus a 1.75 liter of absolute for $17.00 GREAT buys there!!:yes::yes:

Mike Supino - 4-22-2006 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM beer was $1.05 for a sixpack. Coke was more expensive. We were really put out when it went to $1.25. When I married my second wife, Ground Chuck

Ground Chuck??????????