BajaNomad

San Ignacio to Magdalena Bay

Natalie Ann - 11-15-2003 at 11:02 AM

Wondering how long one might allow for that journey if driving and wanting to explore a bit along the way. I'm assuming that another option would be the bus and again wonder about time.
Thanks in advance for all responses.

Which road

Ski Baja - 11-15-2003 at 11:10 AM

Hola Jardinera, do you mean along the coast or which route? I heard the coast road is really bad right now which tells me it's worth investigating.

Mike Humfreville - 11-15-2003 at 11:25 AM

It's been a while since I've driven down the "south" side of San Ignacio Lagune, but we were there visiting the whales last year. The road from San Ignacio to the laguna is mostly occasionally graded heavy washboard. Beyond that it used to be a sandy narrow track that required 4WD until you get near La Purisima. It's been 20 years since I was on that part of the road but I've read others writings and I don't think its changed. Would recommend two vehicles one or both having 4WD

Thanks J.R. and Mike...

Natalie Ann - 11-17-2003 at 10:25 PM

but we're not looking to do that drive along the Pacific - at least not this year. Just the regular route east and then back west again.

We have a friend in Magdalena Bay we like to whale watch and explore with; also think we might mosey up to San Ignacio Laguna for whales there and the fun of exploring on our way. Maybe it's not that remarkable a drive and not worth doing. Just kinda stuck on rubbing nones with those whales.:wow:

MICK - 11-18-2003 at 10:46 PM

Going Hwy 1 it depends on how far you want to go in a day. Driving should take about 18-20 hours behind the wheel from the border. I know people who make it in a long day but the enjoyment is the trip take three days and stop along the way maybe four. Have fun. Silly me you'll be in baja what else could you do.
Mick