BajaNomad

Back from Picacho

bajaandy - 5-9-2006 at 07:29 AM

Will have a trip report written up soon. We did not make the summit, but did have an excellent trip none the less. I will post the report when I get it written up.

Picacho Has My Respect

leadmoto - 5-9-2006 at 11:22 AM

Picacho Del Diablo did not disappoint. It was everything I was hoping for. I want to say thank you very much to Christopher E. Brennen. I found his information to be accurate, unlike some of the other information floating around on the internet.

I recommend this site to AID in a successful trip.

http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/devil.htm

Two Groups

leadmoto - 5-9-2006 at 12:23 PM

Thank you Desert Rat.

Just to clarify things. BajaAndy did the West Approach and Leadmoto did the East Approach. Leadmoto's group did summit on May 7th.

If anyone wants a really good hat, I left one at Camp Noche hanging in the tree at camp. Dammit! I just bought it on Friday.

jk - 5-9-2006 at 03:55 PM

Was Eric up to snuff? A baja nut and co-worker of his--jk

bajaandy - 5-9-2006 at 07:12 PM

Eric was a trooper! Had everything it took to get there, just not a good enough leader! Ha!

bajalou - 5-9-2006 at 08:18 PM

Kind of says that maybe the west aproach isn't necessarily the easiest. I know, different people, skills etc - all relevant to accomplishing the goal. Just being out there trying is a great accomplishment - my hat's off to both groups.

thebajarunner - 5-9-2006 at 08:30 PM

Stopping short of the summit is never bad.
You got to see the mountain, you got to experience the trail,
and you were smart enough to listen to your body and live to climb another day.
One of my hiking partners did CPR for an hour on a guy last year, half way up the Half Dome trail.
The guy's kids said he had been struggling for an hour.
My partner also attended the funeral.

The East Approach

Sharksbaja - 5-9-2006 at 11:57 PM

Does the trail head off from the observatory road as seen from pics? That reoute would certainly not have the elevation to gain as would the route up from the desert floor.

Kudos to all who participated.

bajaandy - 5-10-2006 at 07:23 AM

Both approaches have their ups and downs. (One more up, and one more down.) But Jorge is right, most attempts begin at Campo Noche. The group I was with did the west approach from the Parque San Pedro Martir. It does not take long, but it is a brutal descent into the canyon.

Still working on that trip report. Will post it soon.

leadmoto - 5-10-2006 at 12:46 PM

As far as which way is easier, I will tell you this. I did the East side and I don't need to do the West side to know both ways have very rough terrain. No matter which way you choose, or how bad ass you think you are, you will be feeling the pain for a couple of days after your trip. Trust me we had some bad asses on our team and they are hurtin for certain today.

If I get time I will attempt a report.

Anybody that even attempts Picacho-----

Barry A. - 5-10-2006 at 01:21 PM

------has my total respect, and admiration.

Congrats all of you, and I do hope that a 'report' is forthcoming from both groups---------I think that there are many that feel the same way, and are awaiting patiently. :yes:

I vividly remember looking down from Blue Bottle in 1954 with Bud Bernhard, and just staring in awe--------and then looking up to the Peak with equal awe-------and knowing right then that I would NEVER have the pleasure of summiting----it IS that rough and tough. We had backpacked into Blue Bottle via La Grulla from El Socorro, just east of Meling Ranch, and the end of the road. (the rest had been washed out)

Bud just laughed at me!! (By then, he had summited about 4 times)

Again, Congratulations, all of you.