BajaNomad

Tree killler fungus in La Paz

JESSE - 5-9-2006 at 08:48 PM

Theres a fungus thats killing hundreds, perhaps, thousands of trees in La Paz, it starts out by killing the inside leaves of the trees, and the progressively kills the entire thing.

Anybody in La Paz know about this? anybody out there that knows about gardening?

villadelfin - 5-9-2006 at 09:11 PM

what is your source?

Haven't seen any trees dying. Palo verdes, almond, ficus, tamarind all look healthy. Happy to ask my Mex friends once I have more info.

JESSE - 5-9-2006 at 09:26 PM

Tamarinds are getting hit specially hard, two large trees dead near me, and at least 4 more sick.

villadelfin - 5-9-2006 at 09:27 PM

I'll check it out! Have two very tall ones in the back yard.

villadelfin - 5-10-2006 at 09:35 PM

Checked with some locals who might know. Hadn't heard of any tree diseases. Scanned SEMARNAT for bulletins-Nothing there either. I'll have a buddy call his buddy at SEMARNAT directly to see if they have something.

BTW their website has some spanish HAIKU poems about cactus with illustrations. Muy padre

Bruce R Leech - 5-11-2006 at 01:24 PM

we have something like that going on here in Mulege. it is a soil born disease like a blight but I don't now what strain it is. our local county agent says it was brought in with potted plants smuggled from the U.S or Canada. but I don't know about that.