BajaNomad

Sting ray stings

bajajudy - 6-4-2006 at 07:50 AM

I wish that JR were here to thank for the information on what to do when someone steps on a ray. On the first day of our sailing trip one of the ladies stepped on one while doing the sting ray shuffle. We got her to the dinghy and her husband bled the wound all the way to the boat. As per my instructions, they boiled water and she got her foot to soak within 10 minuntes of the strike. By the time my husband and I arrived on the boat in our kayak, she was sitting on the deck with her foot in a bucket of extemely hot water and said that it really didnt hurt at all unless she took her foot out of the bucket. 2 hours later she was completely pain free.

Paula - 6-4-2006 at 08:30 AM

Welcome back, Judy! Will you post some pictures and more stories of the trip soon?

Paula

turtleandtoad - 6-4-2006 at 06:31 PM

Most ocean poisons are protein based and break down with heat. That's why the old SoCal surfer/diver trick of using hot coffee or peeing on a jellyfish sting helps.

Roberto - 6-4-2006 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by turtleandtoad
Most ocean poisons are protein based and break down with heat.

That's exactly right.

Quote:
That's why the old SoCal surfer/diver trick of using hot coffee or peeing on a jellyfish sting helps.

The old wive's tale - peeing does absolutely nothing ... beyond the normal activity.

In this case...

Dave - 6-4-2006 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
The old wive's tale - peeing does absolutely nothing ... beyond the normal activity.

Shouldn't that be abnormal?

Diver - 6-4-2006 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

I've seen surfers do it for jelly stings and it did seem to help.
Or, at least they thought so. If not the warmth, maybe the uric acid.

If nothing else, it's always entertaining to others on the beach. :rolleyes::yes:

marv sherrill - 6-5-2006 at 03:54 PM

The urea in urine is ammonia based and neutralizes jellyfish stings - most life guard towers are stocked with it - heat is the only effective stingray remedy - fishermen will use a piece of old man cactus heated with a cigarette lighter in an emergency - careful not to burn the foot as it gets really hot - I was also told , and was too chicken to try it, that a quick tazer to the spot instantly neutralizes the sting...

Sure ya don't mean.....

Sharksbaja - 6-5-2006 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marv sherrill
The urea in urine is ammonia based and neutralizes jellyfish stings - most life guard towers are stocked with it - heat is the only effective stingray remedy - fishermen will use a piece of old man cactus heated with a cigarette lighter in an emergency - careful not to burn the foot as it gets really hot - I was also told , and was too chicken to try it, that a quick tazer to the spot instantly neutralizes the sting...

Stingrays?

see other thread
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=17600