BajaNomad

traveling with daughter, need help

Ron_Perry - 6-5-2006 at 06:28 AM

Hi folks, I am heading down for about 3 weeks for fishing, diving, and surfing with my 14 year old daughter, San Jose del Cabo area. My 32nd trip, her 3rd. On this site some stated I may need a notorized permission, since I will be without my wife. QUESTION: is this "notorized permission" a form, or can my wife and I just whip-up a permission slip at home and have notorized? We are leaving about June 9th, and are super excited! I will have my 22ft Bayrunner, we are not sure where we will be camping, due to the heat, but hope to see some Nomads down there. Ron Perry

Bob and Susan - 6-5-2006 at 06:34 AM

whip up a note and notarize it at mail-boxes-etc.....

you won't EVEN be asked

have a GREAT time and take LOTS of pictures!!!

Diver - 6-5-2006 at 06:44 AM

Bring your daughter's birth certificate or passport, a school ID if available and a notarized letter from your wife stating that you are authorized (have permission) to travel into Baja Sur between ( approx dates ).
Show an extended return date in case you are delayed returning and add the wife's emergency contact information.

I have seen some form or sample letter but can't remember where. In any case, you don't need a specific form. I've never even been asked with either my blond haired daughter or red haired son.

SiReNiTa - 6-5-2006 at 07:57 AM

they usually do not even ask...coming in but coming out...i don't know

SiReNiTa - 6-5-2006 at 08:23 AM

one idea...why don't you stop by asuncion...there is pretty good fishing, and i bet you would have a great time...we have a beach house as you probably already know and your daughter and i can go to the beach and stuff while you go fishing or if she wants togo with you that would be fine also!!!

bajawife - 6-5-2006 at 08:41 AM

I traveled w/ our 3 yr old at xmas and no one asked to see anything for him. I did all the stuff Diver said to do and was glad that I had it, but again, no one asked for anything for him...Kinda scary.

A-OK - 6-5-2006 at 09:38 AM

My son, now three, has been down countless times and we have not been hastled. He has been with only myself plenty of times in the rig and walking across the border with no problems. I asked an agent once and she lokked at me like I was loco........

capt. mike - 6-5-2006 at 11:15 AM

doesn't this have more to do with a non-custodial parent taking a minor south? As to the notarized permission letter.

otherwise, what's the diff whether or not both parents are together on a trip?

Bruce R Leech - 6-5-2006 at 11:30 AM

the Mexican oficiales have no way of knowing who is a non-custodial parent that is why it is required for all miner children that are traveling with only one parent . this is kind of like your FMT in that you will probably never be asked for it. but if you have any problems you better have all your paper work in order.

bajalou - 6-5-2006 at 11:31 AM

Just the law Mike, just the law----

notorized letters..no longer required

JG - 6-5-2006 at 12:19 PM

For the last app. 2 yrs., this requirement has been lifted by the Mx. gov. This winter I contacted the Mx. embassy in New York by email and got the straight dope...however, around the end of this year one wiil need a U.S. passport to re enter the U.S. Just flew back from SJD with grand kids / divorced Mother...no problems. Cary a certified copy of the childs birth cert. and you will be fine. Good luck.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 11:59 AM
To: webmaster@consulmexny.org
Subject: FW: travel into Mexico

Dear Ms. Garcia:

By law, minors are no longer required to travel with parental consent.

Bob and Susan - 6-5-2006 at 12:36 PM

passport not needed if driving until 2008

Skipjack Joe - 6-5-2006 at 12:51 PM

Not everyone is on the same page on this one. I just called Discover Baja and was told that the letter is still a requirement and if there is an amber alert in the US they will check baja travelers in Mexico.

They also told me that you can get a permission letter from your spouse that's valid until the age of 18. That may be good to know.

The typical ambiguity of Mexico. It's both frustrating and attractive at the same time (which, come to think of it, is also an ambiguous statement).

[Edited on 6-5-2006 by Skipjack Joe]

bajawife - 6-5-2006 at 02:01 PM

Wouldn't it be better just to have all your "ducks in a row" than to be told to head back home until proper papers could be gathered? Doesn't take that much time to do it.

Excellent site!

Ron_Perry - 6-5-2006 at 03:21 PM

I posted my question about my daughter before work this morning, around 6:30am, and by the end of my workday, 3:30, 13 replies. And even an invite for my daughter to visit! For me it is a great site.
I also wanted to praise the info on the thread regarding the history of pangas, about 10 days ago. Fascinating bits of personal storys of panga owners. Thanks for the help. Leaving for Baja June 9th, can't wait, Ron

Diver - 6-5-2006 at 03:42 PM

You are very welcome !

Have a great trip and please share some of your trip highlights when you return.

Bruce R Leech - 6-5-2006 at 04:27 PM

I think we are all learning something here. JGs info was certainly news to me. but I think I will still get the letters anyway just because that is the way I am.

I don't know If you herd on the news today about the parents that kidnapped there own children from there legal guardians. there grand parents and took them in to Mexico and sold all 5 children. things like this are bound to make the Mexican police a little skittish.

Packoderm - 6-5-2006 at 07:02 PM

They asked for my notarized affidavit to enter Mexico with a minor each time I crossed into Baja Sur. They seemed ready to shake me down if I didn't have it and almost seemed disappointed that I had it.

Bruce R Leech - 6-5-2006 at 07:36 PM

Packoderm how long ago was the last time they asked?

Frank - 6-5-2006 at 08:51 PM

They asked for it last June @ TJ. They wouldnt give me a Tourist card without it. I will always get it if its just the boys and myself going south.

Packoderm - 6-5-2006 at 09:07 PM

I was asked for it last winter.

David K - 6-5-2006 at 11:23 PM

I think we are beating a dead horse, but for the record I never have been asked for permission slips (and you know how many times my kids and I go to Baja) and I have taken my kid's friends to Baja as well, as a single parent...

I do think you should have one, just in case... and it would really surprise me if in this age that Mexico would now drop it's rule that the missing parent must sign such a paper for the other parent to possess...

Permission to render medical treatment should be given to non parents taking other people's kids south, as well.

[Edited on 6-6-2006 by David K]

Bob and Susan - 6-6-2006 at 06:17 AM

Packoderm...

do you resemble ...

in any way...

a pop star singer????:lol:

Bruce R Leech - 6-6-2006 at 11:48 AM

I think every one in that situation should have it just in case.