BajaNomad

Mexican Elections

BajaHawk - 6-11-2006 at 08:46 PM

As I plan my Baja trip for late June/early July...I seem to remember not being able to purchase beer during elections.

Is this still the law of the land? Can anyone tell me when the moratium starts & stops?

-Thanks!

bajalou - 6-11-2006 at 09:47 PM

It's still the law of the land, but certain tourist areas have been given exemption from the requirements. Think the dates would be July 1 & 2

fdt - 6-12-2006 at 06:05 AM

That law is no longer in efect.

Bruce R Leech - 6-12-2006 at 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

mabey not where you are but it is down here.

to answer the question it is only for the 24 hour election day.
it starts and stops at midnight

BajaHawk

Baja Bernie - 6-12-2006 at 06:36 AM

Emergency supplies are always necessary in Baja and that is most true on election days--That is, if you want to keep up with your Mexican friends who know to stock up during the election week.

Welcome

Sorry Hose A

fdt - 6-12-2006 at 07:25 AM

But since April 2005 that is not a law.
Specialy not in Ensenada
http://www.ensenada.net/noticias/?id=6044

Nationwide

fdt - 6-12-2006 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

mabey not where you are but it is down here.

to answer the question it is only for the 24 hour election day.
it starts and stops at midnight
http://www.senado.gob.mx/sgsp/gaceta/?sesion=2006/02/16/1&am...
It's a nationwide law, you will have to copy and paste on to address bar.

bajalou - 6-12-2006 at 08:28 AM

I have a lot of trouble translating, but it kind of looked like it allows local officials to prohibit sale on election and the preceding day.

2. El d?a de la elecci?n y el precedente, a juicio de las autoridades competentes y de acuerdo a la normatividad que exista en cada entidad federativa, se ordenar?, cuando sea indispensable para preservar el orden de la jornada, el cierre de los establecimientos que expendan bebidas embriagantes.

What am I reading wrong here fdt? thanks

You are correct

fdt - 6-12-2006 at 08:35 AM

El d?a de la elecci?n y el precedente, a juicio de las autoridades competentes y de acuerdo a la normatividad que exista en cada entidad federativa, se ordenar?, cuando sea indispensable para preservar el orden de la jornada, el cierre de los establecimientos que expendan bebidas embriagantes.
means that it is left to the judgement of the authorities of a state when it is indispensable to preserve order. In Baja California there has been alcohol sales during elections since 2003.

burro bob - 6-12-2006 at 08:38 AM

I just asked Martin Romo if there would be liquor sales here in San Felipe on Election day.
The answer is yes. At least here in San Felipe it will be normal opperations for all liquor stores, bars and restaurants.
burro bob

A good thing

Dave - 6-13-2006 at 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

If you couldn't drink, how would you stomach voting for any of the candidates?

fdt - 6-13-2006 at 06:18 AM

Quote:
If you couldn't drink, how would you stomach voting for any of the candidates?

:lol::lol::lol: candidiots

capt. mike - 6-13-2006 at 06:16 PM

Bruce, we'll be in mulege for the 4th, likely june 30th thru 5th or so, fishing and imbibing.............can you check around and confirm if our usual haunts will be open/serving?? or, how much joy juice will we have to stock up on??!! the serenidad bar must be open, no?? i can't live without Alex's margies!!