BajaNomad

Good Deal on VHF antennas

MrBillM - 6-13-2006 at 09:42 AM

I ran across this at www.westmarine.com. I've just ordered two.

bajalou - 6-13-2006 at 09:51 AM

Great prices for sure

Bob and Susan - 6-13-2006 at 12:52 PM

it was a Great price till i got to the tax and shipping an EXTRA $18

more than the cost of the product $16!!!! $36 total

AND i need an extra one for my base station

A Taxing Experience

MrBillM - 6-13-2006 at 02:20 PM

The California Sales Tax (assuming CA delivery) is an unfortunate fact of life since West Marine has a physical presence in CA and does not have the option of not collecting the tax.

If you're only ordering that one item, shipping will be a little steep. In my case, I had already put together an order including a radio and some other items so the shipping had less impact. Still, in each case the savings over the regular catalog price was $23.00 +tax so it would still be a good, if not great, price.

BajaHawk - 6-13-2006 at 05:29 PM

Thanks for the heads-up! I just picked one up. They didn't have the one advertised so gave me the closest thing at the special price.

BajaHawk - 6-13-2006 at 05:30 PM

Thanks for the heads-up! I just picked one up. They didn't have the one advertised so gave me the closest thing at the special price.

Kudos to West Marine

MrBillM - 6-22-2006 at 08:45 PM

Once again, West Marine shows themselves to be an outstanding vendor.

I received my (2) Shakespeare 8' antennas early this week. Opening one of them I found that the Coax was gone along with the hardware. I e-mailed West Marine telling them that the antenna shipped must have been a defective return mistakenly put back in inventory since the coax was missing and it attaches well up inside the hollow antenna tube. I received a reply the next a.m. stating that they had shipped a replacement out No Charge via Fed Ex that morning. I received it today.

As an aside, today I removed the "defective" antenna completely from the shipping tube and I found a memo attached to it from West Marine Marketing addressed to "All Stores" stating that they were shipping this DUMMY antenna to be placed in the store display replacing a discontinued Shakespeare model. So the unit wasn't actually defective, it was a display unit that was mistakenly placed in stock.