BajaNomad

xm or sirius reception

honda tom - 6-18-2006 at 10:03 AM

probably been covered 100 times or so, but does either sat service have problems with reception in baja? the ads claim "continental us and canada and alaska" the other "north america and canada".

comitan - 6-18-2006 at 10:08 AM

Yes covered 100 times reception all of Baja either one.

JZ - 6-18-2006 at 10:31 AM

Comparing the XM portable unit I have to my friend's Sirus I've found XM to be much better. At least with the unit he has, Sirus cuts out under nearly every over pass going down the freeway. No problems with all the XM units I've used. Not sure if this is a general Sirus problem or not, but if so, I would never think about using Sirus.

Doesn't cut-out ??????

MrBillM - 6-18-2006 at 10:53 AM

I agree that my XM signal is usually NOT lost when passing under a short overpass, but only when you are in a blocked location for a longer period such as an overhead canopy or carport. I'm speculating that the unit is utilizing a delay process similar to that used by CD Walkman's for Skip Control i.e. it receives the signal and stores it before transmitting it to the listener. I can think of no other way that the signal would not be interrupted. Perhaps Sirius doesn't utilize that process or it is not as efficient.

Roberto - 6-18-2006 at 03:56 PM

Correct - XM Radio receivers "buffer" the received signal, to prevent loss while driving under overpasses, etc.

comitan - 6-18-2006 at 04:17 PM

Overpasses never a problem for me, I shut it off when I get to where there are overpasses, also too many stations interfering with interception.

JZ - 6-18-2006 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Overpasses never a problem for me, I shut it off when I get to where there are overpasses, also too many stations interfering with interception.

Based on that advice, I'd suggest no one in LA (or any large city for that matter) buy a Sirus unit. Overpasses are no problem for XM and there are no "stations interferring with interception" Whatever interception is anyway.

[Edited on 6-19-2006 by JZ]

4baja - 6-19-2006 at 06:14 AM

hey tom we all run sirius because they have the types of music that i prefer. i have the new sport model and it doesnt cutt out under overpasses and works great in my boat and my place south. good luck.:D

capt. mike - 6-19-2006 at 06:21 AM

kind of on the same subject......does anyone using directv south get the XM based radio channels i get on my PHX directv receivers?
i am about to install my dish in mulege and thot i'd be getting the audio feeds too .

sirrius

jimgrms - 6-19-2006 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
Comparing the XM portable unit I have to my friend's Sirus I've found XM to be much better. At least with the unit he has, Sirus cuts out under nearly every over pass going down the freeway. No problems with all the XM units I've used. Not sure if this is a general Sirus problem or not, but if so, I would never think about using Sirus.

i have a sirriuslive in denver and do lose a signal in the isenhower tunnel on i 70 and in parking structures but no where else , i think no radios work in those circumstances

JZ - 6-19-2006 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
kind of on the same subject......does anyone using directv south get the XM based radio channels i get on my PHX directv receivers?
i am about to install my dish in mulege and thot i'd be getting the audio feeds too .

Yeah Mike, I get the XM channels on Directv in San Carlos.

DanO - 6-19-2006 at 10:48 AM

XM supposedly has less cutout issues in urban areas like L.A. because they have a bigger terristrial network (the receivers pick up signals from both terrestrial and satellite sources). This has never been an issue in Baja, where I presume neither service has terrestrial sources. Sirius works fine wherever I go.

The Urban Jungle

MrBillM - 6-19-2006 at 10:54 AM

On the rare occasions that I travel into the big cities, I find it difficult to locate a frequency for the XM that's not in use. Since there is such a variety of local offerings, I usually give up and listen to one of them.

What frequencies have you found to be best to use in the Greater LA and SD areas ?

DanO - 6-19-2006 at 11:32 AM

Most of the time in L.A. 88.3 works with little interference. Heading south, I usually have to switch to 88.5 on the 73, which is good through San Diego.

bajalou - 6-19-2006 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
On the rare occasions that I travel into the big cities, I find it difficult to locate a frequency for the XM that's not in use. Since there is such a variety of local offerings, I usually give up and listen to one of them.

What frequencies have you found to be best to use in the Greater LA and SD areas ?

?? How do you select FM frequencies for XM reception ???

Or are you discussing selecting frequencies for transmitting from the XM receiver to your vehicle radio??

I have vehicles with tape players so do not use the re-transmitted signal.

Yes

MrBillM - 6-19-2006 at 12:42 PM

Regardless of what location that I have my XM in use, I simply use the built-in FM transmitter and select a vacant FM frequency. I think there are about ten available on the XM menu, half at the low end and half at the top end of the band. It's only a problem when you get into an urban area where there are a bunch of FM stations so I'm not about to pull my vehicles stereos and do any wiring. There is almost never a problem in Baja, except when the wind comes out of the South, as we discussed in a different thread.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of which, I finally ordered an FM Transmitter kit and related hardware to start pursuing my long-range transmitting project in Baja. Having ordered many Electronics kits in the past, I was hoping that the "Kit" would be that in name only since many times kits are shipped with a majority of the components already in place. The kit designation is used to limit legal liability. NOT IN THIS CASE. I received a PC board, schematic and a bag of parts. Not too bad, though. I finally completed it after about four hours of soldering. I decided to start with the one-watt and see how far it would transmit from the casa and whether or not it would interfere with any neighbors. There is also a 5-watt available. Since I can transmit almost into San Felipe on a 5-watt marine band, that would definitely do the job. Time will tell.

bajalou - 6-19-2006 at 12:46 PM

That should give you great coverage all around your place MrBillM

JZ - 6-19-2006 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM

Even when I'm in less populated areas in MX I don't use the FM transmitter deal. A cassette coverter sounds much cleaner. FM transmitters are crap in my opinion, a last resort.

Crap ?

MrBillM - 6-19-2006 at 08:16 PM

I never realized that Crap could sound so good. I guess that I'm easily satisfied. It sounds fine to me.

To each their own, I guess. Some of the music I hear from my neighbors and down on the beach is crap no matter how it's broadcast.

One of the conveniences of the FM converter in the vehicle is that I can switch to other local stations with the push of a button. At home in Baja, it's the only way to go because I can pick it up from any AM/FM on the property. Hopefully soon, in any part of the Campo.

JZ - 6-19-2006 at 08:39 PM

Crap... try a cassette and you'll see... and never go back to the crap.

[Edited on 6-20-2006 by JZ]

bajabound2005 - 6-19-2006 at 08:46 PM

XM rocks :bounce:
Regular radio is now unbearable!

[Edited on 6-20-2006 by bajabound2005]

I have XM

fdt - 6-19-2006 at 10:37 PM

and love it, it does cut out under overpasses or trees if you are under them for some time (in my case the border wait).
I can listen online and also if I am by Mrs fern's car she can listen by tunning into the same FM frequency, as a matter of fact I can tune all of my home FM radio to that frequency and get XM.

BornFisher - 6-19-2006 at 11:02 PM

Both XM and Sirius are great and if you have the replay units, sitting in an obstructed area is no problem. I too have a cassette player and the converter works perfect. BTW I have used both units clear to Cabo with about 99% coverage
Ok a little confession here. About a month ago, while waiting to cross the border, I bought 2 bobble head Rottwielers for $5 each that go on the dashboard. I swear these guys can hear the music! Going down the road, blues station on, the dogs are rocking out, heads going up and down or back and forth!! The perfect compliment to a sat. radio!!