BajaNomad

Loreto Water Meeting

Don Alley - 6-21-2006 at 08:55 PM

This was emailed to Loreto residents, I am not sure of the original source.
Quote:

Problems With Water For Loreto?????

A Water Meeting was held June 5, 2006 for all who wanted to attend at the La Pinta Hotel. Sergio Morales and Hugo Quintero were the two speakers.

Loreto has a population of 16,200 inhabitants, but SAPA is pumping enough water out of the two wells for 50,000 people. The problem is the poor condition of the infrastructure, and the waste of water (leaks, leaving hoses on for days, watering streets, etc). Wells (11 in all) will not be activated until the pipes are repaired and in good order.

The more water that is used out of the wells, the more there is a danger of salinity infiltrating into the reservoir.

Nopolo, Ligui, and Puerto Escondido have their own wells, but it was made clear that, if those areas are exploited, the water will not be sufficient.

NOPOLO HAS NO RIGHT TO SAN JUAN WATER! The water is strictly for Loreto. When necessary, Loreto will allow to pump some water to Nopolo, but the City Fathers can also refuse water. (See a previous article in the Gringo Gazzette, in the Loreto section).

At the rate that the water is pumped out, we can count on 10 more years.

The San Bruno project is approved, but they have to provide water through their own desalinization plant. Interesting enough, the Municipal and SAPA are working with them to build a bigger plant so that the surplus water can be sold to Loreto.

Another problem that SAPA encountered, is collecting the money for the water contracts. They have installed "reductors" for the individuals that are delinquent in paying, but these devices are easily broken into. Now they have acquired 300 new ones, "theft proof". SAPA also addressed the Loretano custom of watering the street, but, because everybody seems to be a relative, they have no luck in giving out fines. SAPA did collect $15,000,000 (pesos) from delinquent contracts, but the government took a big chunk of it....what is left will go to repairing the lines.

SAPA has or will have a promotion through their office: You can buy "pilas" (water tanks) from them, at a discount, and they will be charged on your water bill, a little at the time. This is for the individuals that do not have a reservoir, for they are predicting days without water, all throughout the summer!!!

SAPA will also install meters (poco a poco) in all properties, starting with the high consumption places (hotels, car washing etc.); also, count on the price of water going up.

Desalinization was discussed but left without a solution.

Marie-Rose - 6-21-2006 at 09:01 PM

Here we go!!!:spingrin::spingrin:

Paula - 6-21-2006 at 09:36 PM

Aaaaaahhhhhh!

This news leaves me feeling cheerful and optimistic!

Well, the news isn't all good, but it is realistic.

jerry - 6-21-2006 at 10:24 PM

when i first was in loreto 13 yrs ago i was told they had water for about 25 yrs seems there close to on schedual??

Sharksbaja - 6-21-2006 at 11:18 PM

:rolleyes:I won't say it......

Baja&Back - 6-22-2006 at 12:01 AM

Let me just call my friend, Mr Butterfield. He will surely have a solution ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Capt. George - 6-22-2006 at 05:10 AM

water, water:fire:, if ya ain't got water gimme seltzer!

desal is on its way.:O

HotSchott - 6-22-2006 at 06:37 AM

What would Mulholland do?

Bruce R Leech - 6-22-2006 at 06:55 AM

I did not see in the letter anywhere that Loreto Bay Co. was pitching in anything to help out. it seems to me to be a giant opportunity for them to put some of that money to good use.

Dam it! Or, he'd find the Mexican....

neilmac - 6-22-2006 at 08:04 AM

Owens Valley & drain it!

Quote:
Originally posted by HotSchott
What would Mulholland do?

BTW, does anybody know the annual

neilmac - 6-22-2006 at 08:08 AM

rainfall totals for Loreto and other towns? Rainfall catchment might be a practical, partial solution.

Neil

elizabeth - 6-22-2006 at 08:15 AM

For all you could ever want to know (or not know) about Loreto's rainfall, water use, recharging of ground water, and dangers of salt water intrusion into the aquifer...here's the link.

http://www.futurosalternativosloreto.org/report/report_water...

Rainfall catchment?

neilmac - 6-28-2006 at 11:58 AM

The report said "In average or dry years - years with average annual rainfall of 11.5 cm or less"....

If you caught the rain from the roof of a 1000-sq.ft. structure, you'd get about 2800 gal./yr - probably not enough to live on, but a decent supplement.

Neil

Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
For all you could ever want to know (or not know) about Loreto's rainfall, water use, recharging of ground water, and dangers of salt water intrusion into the aquifer...here's the link.

http://www.futurosalternativosloreto.org/report/report_water...

[Edited on 6-28-2006 by neilmac]

elizabeth - 6-29-2006 at 08:49 AM

Wow...I wouldn't have thought it would be that much. Certainly enough to water the garden. Thanks for the computation.

What does it cost ....

neilmac - 6-29-2006 at 10:06 AM

to have water hauled in to fill a pila?

Neil

comitan - 6-29-2006 at 12:08 PM

In comitan(La Paz) 400 pesos for 10,000 ltres